Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what I finally have done?

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this tip! I will have to see if it works on my machine too :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    Is this an option with all Janomes or just your machine? Exactly what button are you hitting to make it stitch without the footpedal? Please enlighten the rest of us.
    I don't know about all Janomes, but I think alot of newer machines have the start button, but don't take my word on that cause I am not certain.
    I have a Janome 9000 . Anyway the foot pedal plugs into the side of the machine. If you remove it just above the foot plate on the machine the last button says start. I push that and it sews by itself.I have to adjust the speed but now I love it!!

Banned
    congrats. have fun and enjoy your headache free quilting now.

JT
    What model of Janome do you have?

Thanks so much for this tip. My Babylock has this option. Can't wait to try it!

I have a Janome and I never knew you could do that...and I've had it for almost 3 years!!! Back to the manual ! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    congrats. have fun and enjoy your headache free quilting now.
    I was only joking when I said I was thinking and it gave me a headache. :lol:

I may have spoken to soon ladies and gentelmen.I was practicing FMQ again tonight and for some reason the stitches kept having loops?Whats up with that?
    It was on the front and back both?

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    What model of Janome do you have?
    Janome9000

Quote Originally Posted by tuppka
    I have a Janome and I never knew you could do that...and I've had it for almost 3 years!!! Back to the manual ! :lol:
    :lol: we quilters never cease to learn. Guess that's a good thing though right? :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    My Bernina is about 1 years old. How do I find out if I can do this? What kind of button are we talking about?
    Mine just has a button that reads start.But it embroiderys also.That may be the difference:?:

Congrats! I have been thinking of a Bernina 440 QE. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they has good as what I have heard?

I love that feature on my Janome - it is one less thing I have to take to retreat or class

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    Is this an option with all Janomes or just your machine? Exactly what button are you hitting to make it stitch without the footpedal? Please enlighten the rest of us.
    Husqvarna Vikings have a start/stop button that you can use or the foot pedal; don't have to remove the pedal. I use the button for lots of uses where I don't have to stop often. If you want to override it all you have to do is touch the pedal lightly and you're back in foot control mode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berta48
    I may have spoken to soon ladies and gentelmen.I was practicing FMQ again tonight and for some reason the stitches kept having loops?Whats up with that?
    Try rethreading the machine.

I have a Simplicity Quilters Classic and it has a Start/Stop button, never thought of using it for stippling, will have to try it.

Carol J.

Check out: http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com

There are more than 200 fmq varieties here, along with an instructional video for each, and best of all...it's FREE!

Good luck and have fun!

I have a Viking Designer 1, an SE LE and a Diamond. You can put them on very slow all the way to very fast, push the start button, and they sew without the foot pedal. I don't know what other models of Vikings can do, but if you have a Viking, I would check to be sure.

I also have the Magna Quilter, but you have to use the pedal on that one.

My brother has an on/off button too and I use it. This along with the speed regulator button helps me some, but my fmq is still pretty amatuerish and I frequently have to pull out stitching that I'm not happy with.

Oh well.....

Another couple of ideas - check the tension on your machine. Also, if you are moving your fabric faster than the machine is running, you risk breaking needles and saying bad words! :roll:

If your bobbin goes in a case, you may want to have a separate case for straight stitching, and a different one for when you adjust the tension for fmq. Put a dab of colored fingernail polish on one to differentiate the two.

Also, practice practice practice and give yourself permission to not be perfect right out of the gate.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride! Feel free to contact me if you want to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Berta48
    Are you using the same thread in the bobbin as in the top? Because that can cause a lot of problems on some machines.
    Or it could be a tension problem. If re-threading doesn't work, wind a new bobbin.
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by neonparrot
    I have a Viking Designer 1, an SE LE and a Diamond. You can put them on very slow all the way to very fast, push the start button, and they sew without the foot pedal. I don't know what other models of Vikings can do, but if you have a Viking, I would check to be sure.

I also have the Magna Quilter, but you have to use the pedal on that one.
    My Viking Sapphire 870 has speed adjustments from 1-5 and a start/stop button also. I set the speed on 2 for stiching that I have to start and stop frequently and often use the foot pedal for that since I'm able to stop quicker. But I use the start/stop btton and go up to 4 speed for fmq sometimes depending on how fast I can move the quilt sandwich around. It's really fun!

Glad you have that option! Do share pics with us of your finished projects!

I'm trying to learn FMQ, too. I can do the stippling or a meandering path fairly good, but am practicing feathers. Definitely, need more practice...ha. I have a Brother that I can take away the foot pedal, but have never tried that with FMQ. Do you have to think ahead to push the button for it to stop? I would love to see a picture of your FMQ.

I never thought to try that. I guess this is what you would call a DUH!!! moment. I've been practicing my fmq and having a terrible time with the tension so I am going to give that a try this afternoon. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast