Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what I finally have done?

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried it yet, chicken I think. My machine does it, but not brave enough. You have given me the courage to try it on something small.

I just took a class in FMQ. I have a Viking. It too has a start/ stop button. works like a dream for FMQ. I had been practicing FMQ before the class and didn't know that. My FMQ improved immediately.

On my Janome (9000), you need to unplug the pedal and punch the bottom button.
    I love it for long seams, etc.
    Hadn't thought about the stippling---I too have hand-foot control issues.

Never thought of that . My brother will do that I need to try it when I get everything set up after the move

The blogspot belongs to a very talented young lady named Leah Daye from Daye Style Designs. She has a great online store where you can by videos and lessons as well as some free videos and lessons as well.

Berta, which Janome do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Berta48
    I am so excited! I have been practicng FMQ.I just couldn't seem to get my foot pedal and hands to work together right.Then I got to thinking! (gave me a headache too) :lol:
    My Janome runs without a foot pedal if I remove it.SOOOOO I removed it and tried to stipple and it turned out GRRREAT!!!
    I am so happy. Who would have thought it would help so much but it sure did work for me!!I also did some swirls.

Think I will try to come up with some designs of my own too, since there are no quilt police. :thumbup:

I have a bernina 153 QE. I was looking for a start/stop button and guess what I found?? My Bernina has a 1/2 speed button! I kept reading about how handy this would be but never thought to look at my machine because I thought it would only be on newer models! In my defense I have only had my Bernina for 7 months! I guess I should get out the owner's manual and read it before I do any more FMQ! DUH!

Blog Entries
    That's the only way I use my Janome now. It took a little getting used to at first, but I finally stopped trying to find the peddle! Have fun!!!

I wish mine ran without a foot pedal.

I'm trying this option on my Babylock too--tonight!

I find the same to be true for me. I also have a Janome(6600) and use it the same way for fmq!! :thumbup:The problem with the looping is most likely a problem with the way the machine is threaded. This has happened to me a lot. Thread seems to slip off the tension wire easily.

I am so excited! I have been practicng FMQ.I just couldn't seem to get my foot pedal and hands to work together right.Then I got to thinking! (gave me a headache too) :lol:
    My Janome runs without a foot pedal if I remove it.SOOOOO I removed it and tried to stipple and it turned out GRRREAT!!!
    I am so happy. Who would have thought it would help so much but it sure did work for me!!I also did some swirls.

Think I will try to come up with some designs of my own too, since there are no quilt police. :thumbup:
    Is this feature on all Janomes or only the upper end models? That would be a great selling/buying point

PJO

Good For You!! Thanks for sharing. That tip will probably help a lot of quilters!!

Happy for you! Makes it alot more fun when things go right. Happy Quilting!

I have the same Janome and that is exactly how I finally learned FMQ I had tried with my older machines but was not successful until I got the Janome and no matter what I do on that machine I use only the start/stop button. I gauge the speed at whats comfortable for me and off I go.

Once again I will mention that I read that if you leave your feed dogs up while FMQ, you have 60% more control. I tried it & my FMQ improved 100% in 2 minutes!! It really works! I tried without the foot pedal but I don't like sewing without it so it seemed to follow thru that I couldn't FMQ without it, either? Whatever works for you is perfect!!! Congrats! That's quite a thrill when you finally get something that looks good! I have also done machine embroidery designs (made for quilting), those are really beautiful! & inexpensive! :-D but it takes a little more work & time.

Quote Originally Posted by sewin'sam

Once again I will mention that I read that if you leave your feed dogs up while FMQ, you have 60% more control. I tried it & my FMQ improved 100% in 2 minutes!! It really works! I tried without the foot pedal but I don't like sewing without it so it seemed to follow thru that I couldn't FMQ without it, either? Whatever works for you is perfect!!! Congrats! That's quite a thrill when you finally get something that looks good! I have also done machine embroidery designs (made for quilting), those are really beautiful! & inexpensive! :-D but it takes a little more work & time.
    How can you move your fabric with the feed dog up? I have accidently left the feed dogs up and the fabric would not move smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by KR
    Oh, I'm so excited, too.....tried my Start/Stop button for the first time with FMQ this weekend and I'm falling in love with my machine all over again (Brother QC1000)!! Still working on perfecting the Stop part, though....taking a hand off the quilt to push the button.
    Try using your nose!

I may have spoken to soon ladies and gentelmen.I was practicing FMQ again tonight and for some reason the stitches kept having loops?Whats up with that?
    It was on the front and back both?
    Generally a tension problem. Re - thread everything, including checking that you have the bobbin in correctly, tighten all of the tensions (including bobbin tension if necessary)gradually and use a test square. If it doesn't work, try checking there is no lint in the bobbin race or tension discs. When you are playing around with tension discs and screws, remember the little rhyme : "righty is tighty and lefty is loosey" and you should get it correctly.

My Viking Sapphire 875 has that feature too. I can use the foot pedal or just the start/stop button and the speed control. It works great for free motion quilting.
    Sharon W.

ok, just what is stipple,? betty

Going to try using the stop/start button on both my Brother and Jenome tomorrow. Never thought about using it for FMQ.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    I may have spoken to soon ladies and gentelmen.I was practicing FMQ again tonight and for some reason the stitches kept having loops?Whats up with that?
    It was on the front and back both?
    Are you using the same thread in the bobbin as in the top? Because that can cause a lot of problems on some machines.
    Or it could be a tension problem. If re-threading doesn't work, wind a new bobbin.
    Good luck!!
    Yes I tried it again tonight and it is better.I think the problem was I had the machine going to fast.I slowed it down and now it looks better!!I was trying to stipple and my curves were pointed but I think I like it and it is easier too!!

I'm having fun!!! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B
    I'm trying to learn FMQ, too. I can do the stippling or a meandering path fairly good, but am practicing feathers. Definitely, need more practice...ha. I have a Brother that I can take away the foot pedal, but have never tried that with FMQ. Do you have to think ahead to push the button for it to stop? I would love to see a picture of your FMQ.
    Well I haven't any way of posting photos. :thumbdown: And I haven't actually quilted anything yet.I am still practicing I don't want toruin anything :lol: As I am real picky :-obI am my own worst critic!

Quote Originally Posted by betty pollard
    ok, just what is stipple,? betty
    Stippling is a desing that is all over and it kinda looks like your hand spread open between your fingers. It is curvy.Maybe if you look it up on the internet you can see a sample of it.

Sorry, I haven't a better way to describe it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast