Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guilty As Charged? >

Guilty As Charged?

Guilty As Charged?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM

I am starting the Guilty as Charged mystery quilt through my local LQS this January....Are there other shops offering this mystery quilt? Other people doing it?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 AM

what's that?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 AM

http://www.quiltingadventures.com/qablog/?p=4066 Richmond, VA

From what I gathered, it was a mystery that the shop owner had purchased to do...I thought possibly other stores may be doing it too? Just wanting to find out....

It is not a part of the Quilting Is Murder that is going on around the 'net, but I figured maybe others were doing it too?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 AM

I did this quilt a couple of years ago at a local quilt shop. It was fun and came out nicely. Can't show you the picture though.....that would take out all the mystery. (-:
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM

nice. I googled Guilty as Charged but nothing quilting related showed up. :)

That mystery sounds really fun, but I'm not local to the shop. Guess I can't play. :(
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by mberhard
I did this quilt a couple of years ago at a local quilt shop. It was fun and came out nicely. Can't show you the picture though.....that would take out all the mystery. (-:
LOL Yes, it would!!
Were the instructions clear? Did you find it worthwhile?

I have chosen to go scrappy, within a field of blues, adding a bit of white and pale green to fill in the balance of 4 levels of fabric....Do you think that will work?

I haven't cut anything, but I also want to work from my stash this year whenever possible...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM

The instructions were easy to follow. I put them in folder and labled for future use. The Author (Debbie Caffrey) urges high contrast between the fabrics and avoiding directional prints. She puts the word contrast in all caps. So, if you have high contrast and non-directional prints, you should be good to go.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by mberhard
The instructions were easy to follow. I put them in folder and labled for future use. The Author (Debbie Caffrey) urges high contrast between the fabrics and avoiding directional prints. She puts the word contrast in all caps. So, if you have high contrast and non-directional prints, you should be good to go.
Yes, I saw that...I feel that they are high contrast...I will have to take a BW photo to double check...
thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Back in January I posted if anyone had seen this mystery. Well, today was the reveal day!!! 14 people brought their quilts to the store to show them off.

I didn't get it finished (the top, WITH the outside border) for two reasons. One, on Thursday evening a yellow jacket stung me multiple times on my right index finger. YES. My trigger for the camera, sewing finger!!!!! I was unable to work on it till last night. And then a marathon assembly led to a discovery.

Since I didn't know what the quilt would look like while cutting, I discovered last night that the border wouldn't work without a narrow sashing of a solid. (that was not part of the instructions, but I went off on my own, lol, because I HAVE to be different) Of which I didn't have in the house...

So, I brought the quilt to the store today for the reveal and got the fabrics needed to complete it.

Here is a shot of the quilt top this morning, with one side of border temporarily pinned while I decided what to add. At the quilt shop, someone nicely pointed out I sewed a row in left to right instead of right to left, so I need to do some reverse stitching, then I am adding a 1/2 inch navy border before the outer border goes back on. And I found a backing fabric to die for!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237477.jpe  
Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Pretty! I like your fabrics!