Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Gypsy Gripper

i've had one for 8 mos. no problems; be sure you don't have it over one of the holes of the ruler itself...otherwise would suggest cleaning the 'grippers' w/ alcohol and start all over...be sure to Unclip and reclip the dark lavendar clips?????
    heard there are also some 'little' grippers that work well on smaller rulers..

I had the same trouble only on one end of the gripper. I was told by the sewing machine shop to put a little windex on the rubber parts to make them stick. I found that I could moisten the rubber suction cups and they would stick. I think they dry out. Hope this helps.

Where do you get these things? I saw them at the sewing expo I went to, and immediately decided I neede to get one. I should have bought one then, but I didn't. I wouldn't even know what to call it to google it :D suction cuppy thingy :D

Blog Entries
    Hi Okie, from another Okie.

I'm in Oklahoma City, if you got it at one of the local quilt shops, I'm sure they would trade you out for another one.

Blog Entries
    The quilter version is called Gypsy Gripper. Sears and other stores have the same thing used for helping handles for the bath area. I saw them at WalMart and WalGreens. The Gypsy brand has small sizes too.

You won't believe this....my husband saw the gripper next to my machine and took it to our ranch. HE USED IT TO PULL A DENT OUT OF HIS TRUCK DOOR! When he brought it back, he said."This thing works great".

I said, No more ranch duties for this or any of my sewing stuff!

It is still working OK for me..but now I wonder if it will soon stop gripping...won't know if it is from dent repair or my use.

Amazing...what hubby and kids can do with your tools.
    Diana in Texas

Blog Entries
    I got mine at the hardware store for $4.99. GiGi

Has anyone tried using one of those from the hardware store that you apply to your tub to assist in getting out of the tub. I saw one hanging in Home Depot and wondered if it would work since it looks almost the same. It is somewhat cheaper than the one in the quilt shops also. Just a thought and looking for new ways to save money.

Your welcome. By the way, they should all have an indention in the middle. That is what forms the suction when you move the clip up and down. GiGi
    I used the wrong term I should have said knot The knot feels like a spring. The other cup doesn't have that and it sticks fine.

I have the real small purple gripper as well and I really like it too. I don't use it as much.

For Tina in OKC. I purchased mine at the quilt shop in Norman. Since I don't have the box or receipt I don't know if they will exchange or not. I can call and find out. It would save me from shipping it to GA and then having to wait for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by okie
    I heard from the company and they told me to send it to them and they would send me a new one. Believe it or not right now it is sticking, The purple clips(not sure what to call them) are up and not down. Before I always had them down and the suction cups were flush with the base. In this position they aren't. I have a little bitty gripper and when the suction cup is attached it is flush with the base. Hope this makes sense.

Now I don't know whether to send it back or not. I sure like using it with my 6x24 ruler. I've done everything but throw it against the wall today. Went and took a nap (it other words left if alone) and when I came back to it it was still attached. I've cut out some strips (trying my had a a bargello wall hanging) and didn't have any problems with the gripper.
    I think that you may contact them again and explain what you have done and that it is working for the moment. And then if you should have anymore problems contact them again and send it back to them.

I don't have a solution to your problem but I would like to let the readers
    know about an item that is sold at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy. It is a
    safety tub bar that works wonderfully and looks very similar to the gypsy gripper and it is about 1/2 the cost. It retails for around $11. I have one and it works wonderfully.

That is like the one I was asking about from Home Depot. I am glad you said it works because I wanted to try it but wasn't sure if it would work.

Thanks for all the tips, but the story of my life a day late and a dollar short. I always find the deals after I've purchased. I never heard of the bathtub gripper so would have never even though to look for something like this except in a fabric place.

I sprayed mine with spray starch and it stayed for a long time

I am not familiar with the gripper, but I assume that it works on the principle of a suction. If that is the case, I have found that most suctions, after a while of use, become dry and brittle. Consequently they don't hold as well. I would think that some kind of adhesive would be the only thing to use to hold it down. Then, of course, it would be a permanent installation. -- just my opinion. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
    Has anyone tried using one of those from the hardware store that you apply to your tub to assist in getting out of the tub. I saw one hanging in Home Depot and wondered if it would work since it looks almost the same. It is somewhat cheaper than the one in the quilt shops also. Just a thought and looking for new ways to save money.
    about three years ago, I purchased three, bc I have a daughters that's handicapped, and I have a bum knee. One day it hit me that it worked so well in tub area, that maybe it would work on ruler, voila! I have never had a problem with it.
    I'm not sure why somebody was advised to put cooking oil on theirs. you never oil a rubber gasket on a pressure cooker, but they are exposed to heat, so I guess it will keep it from cracking. Mine is still like new. Got it from one of those junk mail catalogs, like spencers or carol wright. they were about 14.99 apiece.

I just came from Walgreens and they have them for $12.99.

Our Walmart didn't have them. We just recently got a Walgreen's. I've been in there twice. I keep forgetting we have one. I'm heading for Walgreen's

Another thought would be to wipe the suction cups clean. Let the air dry throughly. IE over night then take a little bit of water around the suction cup not soaking it, and then stick it to your ruler. Like you would suction cup hooks for on the windows or bathroom shower walls.
    Katrina

Blog Entries
    WalMart here has them in the bath soap/shampoo section. They use to be in the pharmacy dept then moved to bath accessories and even in the baby dept. I guess they don't know exactly what they are. I told one clerk they would sell more if they put them in the fabric dept and had one on display attached to a ruler. Seem like common sense to me to do that.

I solved my problem with he gripper. I took it back where I bought it and since it was on backorder and I didn't want to wait for a new one (had anaother plan but didn't want to tell me) I found something else (not hard to do in a quilt shop) and then went to Walmart and purchased one. The one from Walmart has a little thicker handle which I think I like better. I looked at Walmart before and couldn't find it. I was looking in the bathroom asile. I found it where you find the bandaids and such in the pharamcy part of the store. PROBLEM SOLVED On to the next. I need to stay away from quilt shops, while there they had right at the door as you come in a quilt using the French Braid techique. A must I have to try. I'll doing a bargello now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2