Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had house fire last year. Remember me? >

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

OMG, what a horrible flashback that must have been. I have a steam iron that shuts off automatically after "X" minutes, then I need to turn my iron back into ironing mode for it to heat up again. That said, there is a red light on my iron that will continuously flash, should I leave it plugged in, which I have done a time or two. I do make sure that if I have left the iron plugged in, the red flashing light, tells me to unplug the iron - a very good reminder. I am so sorry that you had to go through the tragedy of having your house burn down last year, but I am happy for the reminder you have given us that we need to unplug those appliances that generate a lot of heat. I hope you are able to fix your Mother's antique ironing board. God bless you for all that you have been through.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
For the past three years I have heated my iron on my wood stove, but I was so happy to get an electric iron a few months ago...now I think I will go back to my "cordless" iron again! Scary, I have never been in a house fire or anything but that is a fear I have. So sorry for your loss last year.
This reminds me of last week's episode of Downton Abbey. The new maid brought her sewing machine into the kitchen because there was no outlet in her room. There had never been a sewing machine in the house before. Mrs. Pattmore and the others were shocked, and someone said, "Aren't you afraid it will run away and sew your fingers to the table?"
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM

I have got to ask, are you living in an older home, now that you've moved in the last year? Could it have been because of old faulty wiring?

Also want to mention that we have whole house fire alarms installed last year and one of the tips they told us was ... do not leave a space between the plug and the outlet (you know how sometimes the plug just doesn't want to push all the way easily?) push it all the way nice and snug ... dust can build up on the plug points and a fire can start from there.

so happy that you were able to unplug fast and safely, and that your quilt was safe!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM

I always worry about leaving my iron plugged in. I also always buy one with auto shut off because of this. I have made a habit of unplugging my iron first when I leave my sewing room. I unplug the iron before I turn the machine off. I also installed a smoke alarm in my sewing room because of my fear of leaving the iron on.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

That is terrible! Is the Durathon a new iron? Report it to Hamilton Beach! Be safe, and I'm glad it acted up while you were there to unplug it and save yourself the horror of another housefire.

Good advice to unplug the iron when not in use, and I follow it daily.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Agood reminder that you can't be too careful...Thanks for sharing...Hope all gets better for you....
Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 PM

I always try to remember to unplug my iron, though I have forgotten once or twice. Glad you are okay.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
...I think I should take up a hobby that I only have to use glue sticks. lol.
Caution: be sure they are not "hot" glue gun, glue sticks! LOL

Also, please start working on another pattern. This one has it in for you! I don't think it is the irons, I think the pattern doesn't like you!

Welcome back to QB...

Anita
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
Like all or most of you, I always unplug iron AND sewing machine (just in case there is power surge, even tho the machine is on a power strip.) I NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the house with the dryer running. My neighbor was doing laundry one day and her dryer caught on fire. Luckily she was home to call the Fire Dept. But she still had a lot of damage. Could have burnt her whole place down plus damage to neighbors houses. It seems that even though you keep your lint trap clean, some of it still manages to escape to the output hose. When dryer gets hot enough it CAN cause that to catch on fire..... better safe than sorry! unless you want a new house LOL !!! and r well insured.
You should periodically take off that hose to the outside and clean out the lint. It gets an amazing amount of lint in there, and is the cause of many fires. Usually there's just a spring clamp holding it on, so it's not difficult to remove. If you haven't cleaned it out in a while, you'll be surprised at how much lint is in there.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

You would probably burn yourself with the glue gun. So glad you were alert enough to realize something was wrong.
Give me a call this weekend or use the house number. Luv U G/F BTW, being as she is so modest, I would like to post a picture of the first quilt Jill made after the major fire where she lost everything. This was made with the some of the material she received from our generous QB members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460471[/ATTACH]That's Jill on the right
Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
Oh, Donna, yes! I dropped my iron when I went to press a seam..it fell and landed right on the top of my foot. Nasty burn. Has left a scar across three toes and top of foot. That was about 5 months ago. I think I should take up a hobby that I only have to use glue sticks. lol.
Attached Thumbnails giving-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by twinkie; 02-04-2014 at 05:24 AM.