Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had house fire last year. Remember me? >

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 AM

I need to make several changes after reading this thread! Thanks for everyone's input and glad you are safe.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM

How scary for you. So glad you caught it in time. Please stay safe. I hope you contacted the iron maker about this problem.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM

OMGosh!! Thank you for the warning!!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM

I always unplug my iron even though it has an automatic shut off feature. Just a habit I got into years ago.
Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
Well...it's been a little over a year since my house burned down. I believe it was my iron that caused that to happen. You will not believe this! Have been sewing all night last evening. Just now I was pressing a sashing seam and my Hamilton Beach "Durathon" started humming. And gurgling. I thought I could smell that familiar smell of hot electric, again. I pressed a button on the side that was for self cleaning. It really started getting really hot! And the noises! OMG! I briefly touched it down on my antique ironing board that I just got from my beloved Mother's things. It burnt the fabric. I don't mean a scorch. I mean a black imprint of the iron. I couldn't get to the plug fast enough. Talk about flashbacks! Please! Please! Please! Unplug those irons when not in use! My house really smells right now.
I'm just really thankful I didn't touch it down on my quilt I am making today. Would've burnt it, too. BTW...I am making a remake of the very same quilt top I was working on last year when the fire occurred! Maybe I should stop while ahead.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM

I figured since my iron had auto shut-off I am safe....but, in view of this thread, I will start unplugging every time I use it! And I keep it on an extension cord. From what I hear that is a bad, bad thing to do!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

We have been leaving on a trip and I had my husband turn the car around and go back so I could check that the iron was unplugged. I don't trust them at all. So freaky that the same thing happened while working on the same quilt. Glad you were johnny on the spot to unplug.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM

So glad you were able to catch it before another fire started.

My husband is always waiting on me when we go somewhere because I check the doors to make sure they are locked, check to see if the burners are turned off on the cook stove and I unplug everything I can get to. My iron has an automatic shut off, but I still unplug it from the power strip and turn the power strip off. I guess I'm a little Obsessive Compulsive. At least that's what my grown son says. haha Better safe than sorry I always say.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
Well...it's been a little over a year since my house burned down. I believe it was my iron that caused that to happen. You will not believe this! Have been sewing all night last evening. Just now I was pressing a sashing seam and my Hamilton Beach "Durathon" started humming. And gurgling. I thought I could smell that familiar smell of hot electric, again. I pressed a button on the side that was for self cleaning. It really started getting really hot! And the noises! OMG! I briefly touched it down on my antique ironing board that I just got from my beloved Mother's things. It burnt the fabric. I don't mean a scorch. I mean a black imprint of the iron. I couldn't get to the plug fast enough. Talk about flashbacks! Please! Please! Please! Unplug those irons when not in use! My house really smells right now.
I'm just really thankful I didn't touch it down on my quilt I am making today. Would've burnt it, too. BTW...I am making a remake of the very same quilt top I was working on last year when the fire occurred! Maybe I should stop while ahead.
I'm so happy you caught that before it started another house fire. I replied in a post about a year ago or so that my iron in the basement of a former home we owned was turned off, but left plugged in, and it DID actually start a fire in the wall at the plug. When the Fire Dept. came and put out the smoldering fire, they told me never, never to leave an iron plugged in. Luckily I had gone down in the basement to the utility room to get something and found smoke starting to come out of the wall. If I hadn't, the fire would have really taken hold before anyone would have noticed it.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Oh my goodness. I've read of Rowenta irons catching fire. mine blew out my power cord finally. I'd had it for years. I tossed it. I never left my iron plugged in, no matter what. I hate leaving my coffee pot plugged in. I don't use the timer for it to start coffee for me.
take it slow. did the fire dept. say what started the fire? It would serve the companies right if you could sue for damages. Good luck.
I'm paranoid about things like irons, toasters etc catching fire so I had my hubby put another switch on the toaster oven as they have a terrible reputation for catching fire. I know of two fires locally started by toaster ovens. Of course this was quite a few years ago, hopefully they are made better now. I always unplug everything when I leave my sewing area in hubby's shop.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 AM

Thank you for a good reminder. Sometimes I get lazy and don't unplug my iron. And welcome back, so sorry for your fire.