Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had this spiral bound for better use >

Had this spiral bound for better use

Had this spiral bound for better use

Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 AM

I took my quilt books to Staples and had them spiral bound, its been a few years, so don't recall cost, but not alot...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 AM

Bubblegum, Thanks for starting this thread! I have all of my reference books for scrapbooking and quilting spiral bound at Staples or Kinko's (now FedEx Office). The cost depends on which clerk is working that day . . . but it's about $5-$6 per book.

Originally Posted by gramalama9
Spiral binding is great and surprisingly inexpensive....but ..... if you have all your books done, and put them in a bookshelf, how do you find the desired title? Is there an insert for the spiral, which would allow printing the name of the book, and the author? If not, someone should invent one!
Gramalama9, I know what you mean about trying to tell the spiral bound books apart on the bookshelf. This week, I put little "key tags" on my spiral bound books to help with this. I used key tags I had in my scrapbook supplies -- cleaning out THAT stash -- but you can buy a small box of them in any office supply store for cheap. I tied the key tags to my books with string, so I can just move them out of the way when I'm using the book. If you want to get fancy, you can also buy metal jump rings in an office supply store, and use those to attach the key tags to your spiral bound book. If you want to get really fancy, then cover the key tag with different colored paper to correspond with something meaningful in the book (maybe all books in one series is one color, or your most used book is your favorite color, etc.)

The quilting section of my bookshelf
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111210[/ATTACH]

Nothing fancy here, but it only took 10 minutes to make these.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111211[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-111205.jpe   attachment-111206.jpe  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 AM

Great Idea! love it!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 AM

I had 12 of my quilting books done this way and I am very disappointed. When they're on the shelf you have to check each one to see the titles. I won't do anymore this way. I'm very surprised that sooo many of you are happy with this???!!!
Happy quilting, Kutso
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM

YES. and Bible study guides :)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:17 AM

If you happen to get those little tags tangled, try spacing the un-spiraled books in between those with the tags.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Several years ago I had all my Carol Doak books spiral bond so they would lay flat and I could print out the pages to paper piece with. I also have that Block Central so may have to take it and do that. I took them to a place called Kindo's and it was only $2.00 or $3.00 then. Probably more now.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM

I don't have the block tool. Can you describe it and its
uses for me, please?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Fantastic idea! All books that we use for reference, patterns, ideas should be spiral bound. My bead weaving books are for the most part spiral bound and it sure makes working with a pattern much easier.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM

For an even cheaper solution, try your local college or university. I run a resource room for education students at a university and we have a book binder machine here. We are open to the public for our services. It would cost only 50 cents to have a book bound here. You would have to do it yourself, but it is very easy and I am glad to show people how to operate it.

You can do it even cheaper if you bring in your own box of binding combs which can be bought at Office Depot or Staples in boxes of 25, 50 or 100 for considerably cheaper than 50 cents apiece. I do not charge for just the use of the machine. All part of our community outreach.