Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had this spiral bound for better use >

Had this spiral bound for better use

Had this spiral bound for better use

Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM

I totally agree. I'm trying to learn how to play piano and my book keeps closing! lol Great suggestion!
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
In my opinion, all quilt books, cook books and piano should be spiral bound. What good is a reference book that keeps closing when you use it?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM

I took my new Baby Lock instruction book to a copier store - they cut off the hard binding and spiral bound it for about 6 or 7 dollars. It's sooooooo much easier to use because it lays flat whatever page is needed. That was a very good tip from the sewing machine instructor.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 PM

I never would have thought of that, great idea.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Thank you very much for the tip i have never heard of that before but now that i know i will be going to staples ASAP and getting this done
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 PM

One of the first quilting books I had bound was my Quilter's Travel Companion. It's so much easier to take when traveling. I have all my quilt books bound now at Office Depot.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 PM

I am being rather dense about this...I can't picture how this would work!?!? So we're talking about a hard cover book, cutting off the spine and enough of the end of the pages so they are not stuck together...by the time you punch the holes for the spiral, wouldn't that cut into the words and pictures on the pages?!?!? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I am being rather dense about this...I can't picture how this would work!?!? So we're talking about a hard cover book, cutting off the spine and enough of the end of the pages so they are not stuck together...by the time you punch the holes for the spiral, wouldn't that cut into the words and pictures on the pages?!?!? :oops: :oops: :oops:
i was wondering about that i am waiting to hear the answer also
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 AM

WOW...that's smart thinking.I've never seen the cards, but looks like you'll get more use of them now.

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
My sister gave me this block tool and I only used it once or twice because the cards were very awkward to read. The plastic peg in the lower right hand corner of the cards kept them stacked in a numerical order, but the cards had to be fanned out to read.

I have been going up the walls trying to figure out how to get this thing bound and finally I called Office Max and I got it spiral bound today. OMG, what a difference this makes. Now it will lay flat and I can refer to any of the cards with ease.

I'm sure some of you may have the same tool. Get it spiral bound and you will use it more often. Here are some pics of the cards.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
Glenda,

This discussion is about getting spiral bindings put on SOFT COVER books -- kind of like a magazine. There is no need to do this for a hard cover book because the pages in a hard cover book will stay open easily.

The print shop will cut off just enough of the back of the book to take the spine off. Spines on soft cover books are glued, not sewn, so there is very little of the book removed. Then the holes for the spiral coil are drilled into the margin. There is always a margin on both sides of a page, so there is plenty of room for the new spiral binding.

I have never had a print shop drill holes for a 3-ring binder, but i can't imagine that those holes would extend into the printed portion of the page.

All books (including soft cover books) are set up pretty much alike, so this works with all of them.

Here's a book I had bound at Kinko's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112222[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112216.jpe   attachment-112217.jpe  
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM

I am a chef by trade, and someone wonderful gave me a cookbook holder last year for Christmas that stands your cookbook up on the counter, and has a ledge that keeps it open to the page you are working on. WElllllllllllll, it is not used in the kitchen anymore. It is the BEST thing I have ever found to hold my pattern or book while I am quilting. I've been spreading the word and everyone seems to love the idea. Its really great. I can actually see what I need without having to move all over the sewing room.