Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had this spiral bound for better use >

Had this spiral bound for better use

Had this spiral bound for better use

Old 10-29-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
Originally Posted by glenda5253
I am being rather dense about this...I can't picture how this would work!?!? So we're talking about a hard cover book, cutting off the spine and enough of the end of the pages so they are not stuck together...by the time you punch the holes for the spiral, wouldn't that cut into the words and pictures on the pages?!?!? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Glenda,

This discussion is about getting spiral bindings put on SOFT COVER books -- kind of like a magazine. There is no need to do this for a hard cover book because the pages in a hard cover book will stay open easily.

The print shop will cut off just enough of the back of the book to take the spine off. Spines on soft cover books are glued, not sewn, so there is very little of the book removed. Then the holes for the spiral coil are drilled into the margin. There is always a margin on both sides of a page, so there is plenty of room for the new spiral binding.

I have never had a print shop drill holes for a 3-ring binder, but i can't imagine that those holes would extend into the printed portion of the page.

All books (including soft cover books) are set up pretty much alike, so this works with all of them.
Thank you so much MomtoBostonTerriers for your wonderful explanation. It was late last night when I was reading this thread so I'm going to blame it on that for not understanding exactly what we were talking about. Thanks again!

:D
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
In my opinion, all quilt books, cook books and piano should be spiral bound. What good is a reference book that keeps closing when you use it?
DITTO!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
In my opinion, all quilt books, cook books and piano should be spiral bound. What good is a reference book that keeps closing when you use it?
I agree. I am automatically drawn to spiral bound quilt books. I think the same should apply to sewing machine instruction manuals
Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 AM

I must be the only one that has the same problem with my hard cover books staying open as the soft cover ones. LOL. I wanted to do them too.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewitseams
i spiral bind all the free patterns i print off the internet. i try to collect a few that have a common thread -- scrappy, fat quarter, etc. then have them bound. i can store them easily and find i refer to them and use them more than if they are in my filing cabinet.
I just use the plastic sheet inserts that are already punched and put them in a 3 ring binder. If I really want to save something, I laminate it, virtually indestructible.!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
Take it to Kinko's or similar store and ask them to remove the spine. You can have it spiral bound or just have them drill holes so you can put it in a 3-ring binder. If it is a book that I know I'll be making copies out of (for example, applique patterns), I prefer the 3-ring binder.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
II didn't know that you could get an already published book spiral bound. Sounds nice.
I did this done at Office Max with all my paper piecing books - slice off the binding, 3 hole punch - all for 99 cents per book!
It's so much easier to photocopy one page instead of trying to squish the book into the copier :thumbup:
Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Office Max or Office Depot binds them for about $4.00. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by penski
Originally Posted by glenda5253
I am being rather dense about this...I can't picture how this would work!?!? So we're talking about a hard cover book, cutting off the spine and enough of the end of the pages so they are not stuck together...by the time you punch the holes for the spiral, wouldn't that cut into the words and pictures on the pages?!?!? :oops: :oops: :oops:
i was wondering about that i am waiting to hear the answer also
I brought an old college cookbook for re-spiral binding because after years and years of use, some of the ages were beginning to tear out. There wasn't enough space left at the left side of the page for repunching holes for the spiral, so they trimmed off the old edges and placed the new spiral at the top. Now the book is a flip-top book and really works well.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 AM

I had never even heard of this before. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.