Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hairspray >

Hairspray

Hairspray

Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 PM

great ideal....I am goin to try it!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM

Just thought on washing hairspray out of quilt... Shampoo takes it out of our hair, wouldn't is also take it out of a quilt? (In a bathtub before washing in the machine) Do NOT put shampoo in the WASHER! {Just had to say it........} :)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM

This has all been TOO FUNNY to read. :mrgreen: Thanks for the laughs. :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I have no idea if it would be bad for the fabrics over the long term, but those chemicals are the same ones women everywhere spray on their heads, so if you're worried about it in a quilt (AFTER washing) you probably shouldn't use it on your hair, either. And if hair spray is used on art, it is never washed (because washing would definitely damage a charcoal sketch).

Of course hair spray is flammable! Didn't you ever use it to make a flame thrower when you were a kid? Never mind, don't answer that, I'm probably the only one.
as a hairdresser I just had to laugh at this....we used to joke about the old days when you could smoke in the salon and the lady would light up just as you wanted to SPRAY her...

using hairspray on your hair is NOT the same thing as using it on fabric...#1 fabric made with cotton is considered a living fiber because it absorbs what ever you put on it...washing it does NOT remove all the residues of those chemicals...
#2- your hair is A-washed more frequently, B- oily so it does not get absorbed, C- it does leave a build up over time, ask your hair dresser...hairspray is one of the worst things you can do to your hair, comes after using any HOT iron on it!

I know people will do what they want, but you can try to learn more about what chemicals you are using, because not all of your quilts will go on to live in your home...those used for charity, gifts, etc, might go to a home where those chemicals will be an issue!
I agree with Jacqui, I am a Hairdresser with 45 years+ in the industry.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 AM

Regarding the fear of chemicals in the hair spray. Just wonder how many chemicals are used in the process of making our fabrics, let alone the dye process? We all wear clothes day in and day our made with all kinds of chemicals in the process. Unless one has an allergy to hairspray, I think it is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by FranW
I use Aqua Net all the time. It has not seemed to hurt my machine. Note: I do wash every quilt after it is finished and before it is used/gifted/donated!
Fran, Can you pick your fabric up and put it back down likeyou can with the 505 to smooth wrinkles and such? In other words does it stay tacky if you lift the fabric.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

I tried both aquanet and suave and neither adhered the fabric. Both cans said never sticky so what formula do you use? I think I about have a lifes supply of hairsray.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I have no idea if it would be bad for the fabrics over the long term, but those chemicals are the same ones women everywhere spray on their heads, so if you're worried about it in a quilt (AFTER washing) you probably shouldn't use it on your hair, either. And if hair spray is used on art, it is never washed (because washing would definitely damage a charcoal sketch).

Of course hair spray is flammable! Didn't you ever use it to make a flame thrower when you were a kid? Never mind, don't answer that, I'm probably the only one.

no, you're not.... my cousin david's tent was never the same, and i still have no idea what happened. that was my story 35 yrs ago, and i'm sticking with it... so much for no girls allowed!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I've also wondered about making baby quilts with nice pristine cotton without the added fire retardant chemicals. Yuk. What to do?
my dad was a textile chemist. he told me that once something was washed in detergent, it removed the flame retardant, so that doesn't matter. it's just a sales gimmick. they were required to use it on government orders for the tent cloth and stuff.
when i was a kid, we were at the lake with another family.. all us kids were doing sparklers (the firework things on a stick) one of the kids jammies caught fire... brand new, flame retardant, never been washed. of course she ran, and it fed the flames... my dad tackled her & dropped her into the lake to make sure the fire was out..then he drove her & her parents to the hospital. she had 2nd degree burns over about 60 % of her body... she had to have multiple surgeries over the years...

so much for flame retardant... just a gimmick to make you feel safer.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by OraLee
Ok what is cooking starch?
corn starch