Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancocks going out of business >

Hancocks going out of business

Hancocks going out of business

Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 AM

You'll be glad you have this great stash at such a wonderful price... and your choices are great!
The real price -- you won't have this store to go to when you need something...
A great loss...
What happens when it's only Joann's? We do love Joann's but....
No competition, and not so many choices....
Old 06-20-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
I was able to get a few things left at our store but everything was really picked over. Wish I had know earlier the price they were selling the cutting tables for. $35.00 I would have been all over that one.
I have been looking at their shelf units, they are selling here in MD for 100.00. I love the cutting table, but they are so big it would never fit in my sewing room.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
You'll be glad you have this great stash at such a wonderful price... and your choices are great!
The real price -- you won't have this store to go to when you need something...
A great loss...
What happens when it's only Joann's? We do love Joann's

No competition, and not so many choices....

You got that right! It will be missed big time!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM

We don't have (and never have had) a Hancock's here in Ocala. Probably located in the larger cities, such as Orlando, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and so on! I don't know what the deal is -- there are still so many of us who make quilts and quilted items -- it's just really nuts that they're going out of business. I have shopped some at JoAnns, but their prices are NOT CHEAP. You really have to watch the coupon sales. I recently bought 90" batting (40% off), and some broadcloth for pillow shams and binding (50% off). I have to watch the sales because my income is limited. There was a time when our local Wal-Mart had some very nice quilt fabrics, but the fabrics that are in the store now -- most of them are certainly not what I would want for a quilt. I am disappointed, but I watch the sales. I stepped into a LQS the other day. NOT a single fabric in the entire store for less than $12/yard. Beautiful fabrics, BUT more than I can afford! Congratulations on your "score" with the fabrics. I think it's "cool" that you were able to get all that fabric. Even if we had a Hancock's store here, I still couldn't buy that much fabric, so that's how it goes! Jeanette
Old 06-20-2016, 07:01 PM

After reading the posts I rode over to see if my beloved Hancock's Fabrics was gone yet. It's pretty bare but looks like they will close in about two weeks. I had sold some soap making supplies so I had $50 to spend. I feel like I got a really good deal on printed cotton fabrics that were 70% off. I hated having to buy two yards of everything though! The basting spray is half price so I got 2 cans. I feel really bad for the girls who work there. The job market isn't great and there are so many college graduates from UNC, Duke and State that it cuts the job market even more.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM

I too "scored" on fabric! 13 yards at just over $32.00! No sure what I plan to do with it. The gals working there told me they are getting shipments from around the country of merchandise from other stores that have closed. This store should remain open for another few weeks. They had a ton of decorative items, cotton fabrics and fleece, some flannels, and decorator fabric. May have to go back next week!
Old 06-24-2016, 04:34 PM

I finally made it to our Hancocks today. They only have 3 days left before they close. Not a lot in the store but I did get a few things - 9.75 yards of nice soft flannel, 6 fat quarters, 2 small pictures with cute sayings to hang on the wall, and 2 patterns. All of it for $13 plus tax. I left happy with things I needed. The flannel will be backing for a king size quilt I have started. :-) Glad I stopped there.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scakes View Post
I finally made it to our Hancocks today. They only have 3 days left before they close. Not a lot in the store but I did get a few things - 9.75 yards of nice soft flannel, 6 fat quarters, 2 small pictures with cute sayings to hang on the wall, and 2 patterns. All of it for $13 plus tax. I left happy with things I needed. The flannel will be backing for a king size quilt I have started. :-) Glad I stopped there.
Good that you will be able to use your purchases..just a shame to lose Hancocks. That is a major loss for fabrics/notions supplies.

I stopped in today and there wasn't really anything left...and it just put me in a bad mood realizing that within days, it will just be another vacant building.

Last edited by slbram17; 06-24-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:50 AM

Great score for sure! This was the store that I started buying fabric at when I learned to sew many years ago. When I lived in Illinois, I worked at one when my kids were little. Then we moved to Ohio and I was lucky enough to have one right in town with a JoAnns across the street. They closed our Hancock over 10 years ago and I have missed it. Their fabrics were more diversified and less expensive than JoAnns--then our JoAnns closed to make way for the super store. Miss those days of the little town fabric stores. Did not realize they were closing all the stores until I went on line to order some St. Louis Baseball Cardinals fabric the other day and found out. So very sad!!!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
We don't have (and never have had) a Hancock's here in Ocala. Probably located in the larger cities, such as Orlando, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and so on! I don't know what the deal is -- there are still so many of us who make quilts and quilted items -- it's just really nuts that they're going out of business. I have shopped some at JoAnns, but their prices are NOT CHEAP. You really have to watch the coupon sales. I recently bought 90" batting (40% off), and some broadcloth for pillow shams and binding (50% off). I have to watch the sales because my income is limited. There was a time when our local Wal-Mart had some very nice quilt fabrics, but the fabrics that are in the store now -- most of them are certainly not what I would want for a quilt. I am disappointed, but I watch the sales. I stepped into a LQS the other day. NOT a single fabric in the entire store for less than $12/yard. Beautiful fabrics, BUT more than I can afford! Congratulations on your "score" with the fabrics. I think it's "cool" that you were able to get all that fabric. Even if we had a Hancock's store here, I still couldn't buy that much fabric, so that's how it goes! Jeanette
I know just what you mean Jenette! I cannot afford to pay 12 a yard either! I usually buy all my fabric at Walmart. I actually like their fabric, but I still watch for Joann sales and did Hanocks. Getting 70% off allows me to buy a lot at about 2.00 to 3.00 per yd. I'm trying to stock up, I won't be able to buy once my husband retires.