Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancocks of Paducah - Update >

Hancocks of Paducah - Update

Hancocks of Paducah - Update

Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM
som

i wrote a note on a fabric order tablet.to the people that worked at hancocks. i handed it to the manager and walked out and ask if they had to go to school to learn to be rude to customers before they could work there
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 PM

I ordered from them for the first time about two weeks ago - two items. I thought they were pretty slow but the package finally arrived. Only one of the items was in the package and the other was backordered. I was really annoyed since they didn't tell me that when I ordered. They gave me no idea when to expect the second item. I sent them a note and asked about the timeline, and also asked why they didn't offer me an easy way to cancel the rest of the order. The reply was that they didn't know when I would get it and that I couldn't cancel by computer - I would have to call.

I replied and told them that I was dissatisfied by the response and by the expectation that I should have to make a special call to cancel when they can take the order and my money by computer. Then I canceled (by email) and don't plan to order from them again.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 PM

I haven't ordered from them in probably 15 years, I was happy with them then. Back then their prices beat any quilt shop around, but now they are as expensive as my local shops, and the shipping has to be added on. I like to do scrappy quilts so I use 1/4 yard cuts a lot, and they won't cut 1/4's. I understand that it is more cuts for not a lot of money, but last week I ordered $75.00 worth of batiks, in 1/4 yd. cuts from somewhere else.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM

I used to work for a catalog company (not a fabric company!) but the standard for mail order is to process the orders and get the merchandise out as quickly as possible.

Managers from catalog companies meet yearly (like conventions) and love to brag about how quickly they can fulfill orders.

Companies that can't ship within a day or two are doing something wrong. Try another company!

Jois
Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 AM

Once I ordered fabric from Hancocks of Paducah. First of all the pieces of fabric arrived spreaded over several months. What do you do when you planned to make a quilt from this fabric ? I doesn't work. Second most of the colors looked very different to the pictures in the catalog.
The fabric is still sitting in my stash. And the lesson I learned : Never ever Hancock again ! :-( :thumbdown:
I prefer to visit my local quiltshop. I can pick from five shops in my area , the furthest only 11 mi.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by eleu16
I prefer to visit my local quiltshop. I can pick from five shops in my area , the furthest only 11 mi.
Well, you are very lucky. Where I am we have a Joann's and a lovely but way too small real quilt shop. I shop on line for almost all fabrics for quilts and pick up what I can for other things at Joann's.

I had high hopes when Joann's pulled out all of their fat quarters but they later returned the same quality and often the same fabrics for a higher price. Sorry guys, but I don't think women run Joann's.

Jois
Old 04-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Actually, shopping one of their stores is a nightmare. I appreciate the fact that they carry so many fabrics due to people making cothes, etc. Even wedding gown fabrics, etc. BUT, half the store is dedicated to misc. furiture, part towards three brands of sewing machines, loads of threads and buttons, loads of patterns for clothes making, and one small corner for quilters. The store has no more then 2, possibly 3 people working in any given time and there is always a back up at the cutting table and the cash register.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
Actually, shopping one of their stores is a nightmare.
To what chain store are you referring?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Hancocks of Paducah chain, the store in the area of Pasadena, MD is one and a friend of mine shopped another one a fair distance away and she had the same problems..
Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
Hancocks of Paducah chain, the store in the area of Pasadena, MD is one and a friend of mine shopped another one a fair distance away and she had the same problems..
Hancocks of Paducah is not a chain. It's a single store in Paducah Kentucky.

Hancock Fabrics is a chain owned by different people.