Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand embroidery question >

Hand embroidery question

Hand embroidery question

Old 09-06-2009, 01:42 PM

I am going to be starting an embroidery project soon and I could use help with the transfering of the pattern onto the fabric. I am not crazy about the light box way. I have in the past used a transfer pen or pencil which irons onto the fabric. Which way of transfering patterns onto fabric do you like best? I will be framing the embroidery with patchwork and then hand quilting it all. In the past I have struggled with how to quilt around the embroidery design, any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:06 PM

I like both methods of transfer.. it all depends on the fabric and pattern. I get a narrower line with a light box and very sharp pointed pencil.
As to quilting , depends on the size of the embroidery block and, again, what the pattern is. Also depends on size of the framing and the fabric design.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:13 PM

i do light box but you can irons them on but make sure you are in thcenter by folding your fabric in forth press with iron in the middle corner so you can tell were the center is then i use two sting of floss the i back stitches i put my needle a little way from the thread go under and back up to the thread is the way i do it start here _ then insert needle here then go back to start insert needle there come back out and go a little farther pass your first stitch insert needle come back were the end of your first stitch make little stitches it a pretty stitch
Old 09-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I like doing mine like this.

Solvy water soluble stabilizer.

http://cottonsnwoolens.blogspot.com/...bel/embroidery

Good tut. here.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

I had never thought of using stabilizer for hand embroidery!!! Very clever :D
Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 AM

About quilting around the embroidery design:

I cross stitch a lot and when the time came to incorporate them into a quilt, I stippled around the whole quilt, and stopped at the edge of the emboidery. This made the embroidery bulk up. I debated with this for a while, and decided to continue stippling over the cross stitch, but with nylon invisible thread. My cross stitch laid flat on the quilt and it looked great. I vave continued to do this for many more quilts always with excellent results.

Maria