Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand project for someone that hates hand work? >

hand project for someone that hates hand work?

hand project for someone that hates hand work?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:37 AM

try Zentangling. Just google zentangles and you will find all sorts of drawings you can do with only a pen and a piece of paper. Try it - you'll like it.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:20 AM

You know that is a really tuff question. You might select a pattern and cut all the pieces for it, bagging and marking as you go. I fell in love with hand piecing doing Dear Jane blocks and you could start some and then make a sewing case or a table runner, a book cover or blocks for a tote, mark your sewing line and then just do a short running stitch it really is quit easy and they are like potato chips you can't eat just one well you can't sew just one they are so much fun and really easy to do.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:39 AM

You could get all the folds ready for folded star pot holders
Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 AM

How about doing a precut/prefused project. Do all the fusing now, then when you are able to use your machine, do all the topstitching. Stitchin' Heaven has several very cute prefused kits.

Search for "plarn" (plastic yarn). You make it from plastic grocery / Walmart / wherever bags. Or you can take old T-shirts and cut them the same way. Easy way to recycle and economical way to get crochet materials.[

QUOTE=quiltingcandy;7261617]Some where I saw someone that crochets with strips of fabric. They make rugs and bowls.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Depending on how much time your withdrawal will be you could go to a thrift shop and find a project to seam rip or o as bearisgray stated. I got a wedding dress with a lot of lace trim and would take it with me to my Dh office and start ripping. Used the lace for later projects. Small pair of sharp embroidery shears helped with lace attachments. You can still do both just for variety. Love the exlarge Ziploc bags. They fold up into a tote easy. Zip binders like the kids have going back to school for some projects.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Maybe crochet a rug with strips of fabric.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM

I'm in the same situation as you, my machine, all my fabric and quilt books are packed and in a sea shipment that won't arrive until October, if I'm lucky. I've been spending a lot of time on QB looking at what others are creating. And daydreaming and planning in my head what I will do when my sewing stuff and I arrive at our new destination. I do have some cross stitch projects to work on. And I'm going to try some Zendoodling as soon as I can find a store that sells some decent colour pens. I've also been organizing my digital photos and watching way too much TV.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM

Have you ever made a quilt with crayon colored blocks? I made a darling cowboy baby quilt several years ago using crayons. I cut my blocks from white fabric the size I wanted, had some cute cowboy /western pictures from a old coloring book,. I used my light box and fine marking pens, mostly black and traced the pictures onto the white blocks, then colored the pictures with Crayola crayons that brand worked best, then set each picture with my dry iron BE sure to use something to protect your iron- I used waxed paper and paper towels. After all block were colored and set, I sewed around what I wanted in each block, then put them together with sashing for my quilt. This is hand work and you can pick it up just where you left off each time, and when you can get to use your machine, your blocks will be ready to go. I'm doing the same with my 50 state stars blocks, just need to get back to them and finish. I already have my state blocks with the state bird, name and date each state entered the Union finished. This gives a different approach for me with my quilting and is relaxing as well.

Last edited by Gerbie; 07-21-2015 at 10:33 PM.