Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand Quilt without a frame

Maybe you can find the book at the library?

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
    I personally would spend that money on more backing or fabric. I use plastic clamps from Lowe's Hardware Store to clamp the backing first to my cutting table (can't and won't get on my knees anymore and saves my back too) then lay down the batting and smooth and clamp it down then the top. I then pin generously and move the whole thing as I need to(making sure there are no wrinkles in the backing as I go) and continue until the whole quilt is generously (key word) pin basted and then I remove the quilt, get comfortable and start at the center and work my way out to the edges. Works for me...lol!

When I do the sandwiching like this I start in the center and work my way out to the edges. Yes it takes a lot of pins but it is worth it because when you are done quilting you don't have to spend time taking out the pins. You remove them as you quilt.
    Thanks for the advice. I need to go to Lowe's and find the clamps. My space for laying out the quilt to sandwich is small (2 tables pushed together) so it sounds like this would be a good way for me to sandwich my quilts. I've tried taping the backing to the tables but the tape doesn't seem to hold the material tightly enough. So, this is what I'll do when my quilt top is finished (probably early spring). Thanks again!!!!

Me Too. Getting old sure is not fun. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I need to go to Lowe's and find the clamps. My space for laying out the quilt to sandwich is small (2 tables pushed together) so it sounds like this would be a good way for me to sandwich my quilts. I've tried taping the backing to the tables but the tape doesn't seem to hold the material tightly enough. So, this is what I'll do when my quilt top is finished (probably early spring). Thanks again!!!!
    You're welcome! Here's a link to the clamps I have. I use all of them sometimes on one quilt. They are assorted sizes but it's the most for the money...lol!
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Blog Entries
    Have any of you hand quilters seen or own the book "Hand Quilt Without a Frame" by Barbara Schaffeld? If so, what is your opinion--worth the price or not?
    I'm not familiar with that book, but Suzanne Marshall hand quilted many award winning quilts without a frame. She says the trick is to heavily baste the quilt. You can see some of her quilts at ...

http://www.suzannequilts.com/suzanne...t/Welcome.html
    Bev in TX

Blog Entries
    If you can see the AQS blog, Sharon Shamber just did a two part piece on basting that was very good. Super secure and no crawling on the floor, masking tape, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by countryone77 View Post
    I'm not familiar with that book, but Suzanne Marshall hand quilted many award winning quilts without a frame. She says the trick is to heavily baste the quilt. You can see some of her quilts at ...

http://www.suzannequilts.com/suzanne...t/Welcome.html
    After I posted this, I saw that she just won Best Hand Workmanship Award at the 2011 AQS Quilt Show & Contest- Des Moines:
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...lt_winners.php
    Bev in TX

I don't think I would waste my money on a book telling me how to handquilt without a frame - just go for it not hard have done several king size no problems also a good way to keep warm!!!

I hand quilt and hand embroider without a frame and find it much easier. My work looks neat and even. I have not seen the book - just wanted to assure you that it is possible to get good results without a frame. I have met a few other who don't use frames and their work was OK as well.

After I posted this, I saw that she just won Best Hand Workmanship Award at the 2011 AQS Quilt Show & Contest- Des Moines:
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...lt_winners.php
    The AQS facebook page had a video clip of Suzanne showing her method of hand quilting. It was very interesting. Maybe if you google her you'll be able to find it.

Janet

Blog Entries
    These quilt basting videos are freely available on Youtube. Just go to http://www.youtube.com and search for "Sharon Schamber basting" (without the quotes) and they will show up :-).
    Last edited by countryone77; 11-27-2011 at 04:50 AM.
    Bev in TX

These quilt basting videos are freely available on Youtube. Just go to http://www.youtube.com and search for "Sharon Schamber basting" (without the quotes) and they will show up :-).
    Thanks, I'm going to check it out. I didn't realize how many hand quilters don't use a frame or hook! I feel like I'm in good company!!!

Banned
    I've handquilted in my lap, no frame or hoop. I've only done up to lap size this way, however.
    There were women at QBL years ago handquilting bed size.

I would guess a magazine article would tell you all you'd need to know. I wouldn't spend the money for a book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    The AQS facebook page had a video clip of Suzanne showing her method of hand quilting. It was very interesting. Maybe if you google her you'll be able to find it.

Janet
    If I did Facebook, I'd be there in a flash, as I find Suzanne's work amazing :-).
    Bev in TX

I've only hand quilted small baby quilts. I can't use a hoop. You do have to baste a lot more when hand quilting and I always start int he middle and work out to the edge. I think it is something you have to work out for yourself. I would check the lib. first before buying the book.

Blog Entries
    The Star Spin Pattern detail instructions are worth $40. Most designer quilt patterns cost $20 or more now. I have tried to contact the authors but so far every inquiry has come to a dead end.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    What do you put on your finger under the quilt when hand quilting? I keep stabbing my finger frequently.

Blog Entries
    Have any of you hand quilters seen or own the book "Hand Quilt Without a Frame" by Barbara Schaffeld? If so, what is your opinion--worth the price or not?
    I don't use a frame or hoop either - mostly I do smaller projects, nothing like a bed quilt. I would like to know what other hand quilters use on their guiding finger under the quilt when inserting the needle downward from the top. Hope someone will let us know if they use something other than a thimble because I tried using one and it's too awkward.

Great Book

I bought this book and read it. Then I handquilted my StarSpin Wall hanging just as Barbara said in the book and it worked great.

The author tells you to start quilting from the outside. I quilted at the table and was amazed at the results.

I bought the book at Clotilde a few years ago. I believe it was less than $20 when I bought it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quiltersbox; 11-27-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: additional information
    Charlene

When I hand quilt, I either use a quilt-as-you-go frame (similar to a needlepoint frame) when the top is put together in strips, or if the top is one unit, I use a 14" quilt hoop. Both work great.

SandyQuilter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2