Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count >

Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Thank you all for this post. I learned so much! I admire hand quilting so much!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM

I've never really measured my stitches but I'd guesstimate that I average about 8 or 9. I found that the smaller needles are much easier for me. I use a size 12 Piecemakers needle. I actually love Warm and Natural. Doesn't seem difficult to quilt through at all. I've found that it is easier when my tension is looser so I pin baste like crazy and sometimes don't use a hoop or frame (depends on my mood at the time). Other than that, practice, practice, practice.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Great posts-and since I am MOSTLY a hand quilter (for 10 years) I still feel like I need improvement. I get around 7-8 stitches per inch, but they are pretty consistant. I actually LIKE the way it looks-you can tell it is hand-quilted and the stitches are part of the whole design of the quilts in most cases. I try to use a thread that will show a bit, instead of melting into the background. BTW, the usual term used for putting several stitches on the needle before pulling the thread through is "stacking", the process of putting the needle thru the fabric top and angling back and forth to catch the underneath stitch before coming back up is "rocking". At least, that is how I learned it. I usually "stack" 3-4 stitches on the needle and then pull them all through. I use a size 10 between needle, and a hoop, with the quilt sandwich loose.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Jillaine, thank you for asking these questions and thank you everyone for answering... I've been practicing all summer on some small (easy to maneuver) pieces and while my stitches are MUCH more consistent than they were in the beginning, I've got a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG way to go before I achieve 10-12 stitches per inch.. I'm pretty evenly 6 stitches per inch... but they're fairly evenly spaced... For me, even spacing and consistent stitches is the goal (at least for now...)

Here's my question... Do I need to work more on getting the space between stitches and the stitch length the same distance? My stitches are short (I only "stack" 2 stitches at a time), but the space between stitches is longer than the stitches.

I LOVE hearing from those of you who are so much more experienced! And if you haven't seen Andrea's tutorial, you're missing out!!

One more thing... I think one has to really love hand work to get going on hand quilting? don't you?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Running1, as I understand it, you should strive to get the spacing between stitches the same distance as the stitch length, and the stitches underneath, the same size as the stitches on top. I find that part is harder than anything else-you rocking movement has to be precise! I wouldn't obsess about it, though, unless you want to enter quilts in large shows and be judged on your hand-quilting.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM

And I really do love hand work-hand qpplique, english paper piecing etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE hand work!!! So relaxing!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Can wool batting be used for hand quilting? I don't like the feel of polyester. I can't stand to touch the poly fibers - it makes for interesting times around here when the dogs kill a stuffed animal.

If wool can be used I would really like to learn to hand quilt. Are there cotton batts that can be used?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Running1, as I understand it, you should strive to get the spacing between stitches the same distance as the stitch length, and the stitches underneath, the same size as the stitches on top. I find that part is harder than anything else-you rocking movement has to be precise! I wouldn't obsess about it, though, unless you want to enter quilts in large shows and be judged on your hand-quilting.
Yes, thank you! That will be my next goal... but no worries about me obsessing.. far to global for that! :-D I do want to leave behind some pretty quilts though...

And I'm with you... love, love, love handwork!!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Justlucy
I would love to try hand quilting but don't think that I have the patience. I don't have a long arm machine, would not know how to use it and cannot afford to have someone quilt for me. Does anyone ever hand tie their quilts anymore or am I the only one? Would love to hear about this.
Don't rule out hand quilting before you try it! :) I only hand quilt and I love it because it is so relaxing and I just love seeing those stitches go in. And there's a huge sense of accomplishment when I'm done! (Not saying machine quilters don't get a sense of accomplishment, just that I enjoy the feeling that I get when I finish one. :) )
Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
If wool can be used I would really like to learn to hand quilt. Are there cotton batts that can be used?
I use warm n' natural, which is cotton, and if you're not concerned about stitch count it works great.