Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting with a hoop.. >

Hand quilting with a hoop..

Hand quilting with a hoop..

Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I prefer a lap hoop. It is not hard on the back, it is easy to adjust to suit your preferred quilting direction, it is stable, and it leaves both hands free. My favorite lap hoop swivels on a wooden ball but is no longer sold. The closest thing to it is the Grace lap hoop: http://www.graceframe.com/site/hoops . There are some reviews of it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Company-...dp/B003AJZVIY/

Advantages of a lap hoop over a floor hoop is that the lap hoop is easier to move around, more compact for storage, and (for me, anyway) easier on the back.

I hand quilted my first quilt on a Q-snap floor frame, but it is definitely not good for someone with a bad back. Had to give mine away. Before that, I started out with a regular round quilting hoop (no stand), but found it awkward to always have to balance the hoop in order to quilt with one hand underneath and one hand on top. I also tried quilting without a hoop. My stitches were much less even, especially on the underneath side.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM

I lap hoop is about 13" across. I have never used a floor frame of any type for the reason mentioned above...think it would be very uncomfortable. I can sit however I like in my comfy chair and quilt until my fingers bleed! I have done from baby to king size quilts in my hoop. Sometimes I use no hoop at all but actually prefer it as it makes it easier to find where I've left off quilting! As Jan in VA mentioned, there is no tension used in a quilting hoop so you can do a 'rocking' stitch - your sandwich is quite loose in the hoop unlike embroidery.

Another item you'll need to test drive is a thimble. Most commercially available thimbles have a recessed top with very shallow dimples. You push with the top of your finger. I use a Thimblelady (www.thimblelady.com) thimble. Cone shaped; open top; deep dimples on the side so that you are pushing with the pad/side of your finger. I find this more comfortable than pushing with the top of my finger.

And then there are needles. My preference is Roxanne #11 betweens. Find they stay sharp; don't bend easily; allow me to get nice, small, even stitches.

Others will weigh in with their preferences I'm sure. All of these elements are personal preference. Find the combo that works best for you.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM
RST

I like an 18 inch round hoop for hand quilting. There's a balance to be found between too big and bulky for easy management and too small to get going on a motif or line before having to reposition the fabric. For me, the 18 inch is it.

One thing to remember in learning hand quilting is that you don't have to go for the smallest stitches ever right at the first-- it's better to get consistently sized and spaced stitches. Over time and with experience, you can work toward the ideal tiny stitches.

Another tip I find essential -- wax your threads. Saves so much frustration in tangled and fraying thread.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 AM

I like an oval hoop because I can turn it easily -- have a bit of trouble reaching around with a big round one!! -- this is another of whatever-works-for-you situations -- good luck!!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM

I have hand quilted many quilts .. and have used different sizes depending on the quilt. I think the size I go to most often is the 20" or maybe its 24".

I would second RST's suggestion about waxing your thread. I have used thread magic (little blue box) and it helps dramatically.

I have never used a hoop on a stand. I hoop the quilt up and sit on the couch watchin TV. I did find some needles that were bent into an almost U shap and some quilts those helped to get the needle through the layers.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

I use both personally and in classes the No Slip hoop in 14" size. Can get it at Joann's. When adjusted will stay.
Is plastic. I also use the Americana hand quilting thread (99 cents) from Joanns
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
What is an Aunt Becky?
It's a bent piece of metal that you use in the hand under the quilt. This video shows one lady using it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSSyueipPw You can purchase one from Connecting Threads - http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...+_TD80688.html. It's more than a finger saver - people who use it say that it really helps them with the quilting.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM

i use a 14" round plastic hoop. i quilt in my lap, and i have found that it presents enough of a surface area for about 3 hours worth of quilting. that's a long time to sit still in one position doing the work.

and i second the thimble comment. a good thimble that is comfortable to wear for a long time is absolutely essential. i have about 6 different ones that i have tried, but always come back to the simple metal one that just seems to fit better than the others. for this perle cotton quilting i have had to switch to the clover leather thimble. i don't like it nearly as well, but because of the extra force needed to push the embroidery needle through the layers my metal one started to hurt my hands.

i am on the lookout for a fancier open front one like this one:

https://www.crimsontate.com/artisan-...le-bee/dp/1106

but i'm not about to spend $100 on it at this point. maybe soon though...never quilted with one like that so it seems a stiff price to pay if it joins the dusty collection at the bottom of the thread box!

aileen
aileen
Old 12-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
How do you keep the right tension?
The quilt must be smooth and flat, but loose in the frame. It should look a bit saggy, like a cat napped on it. That's so you can manipulate it as well as manipulating the needle.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM

I started out with a large, old fashioned floor frame. After one quilt I decided to move to a lap hoop. l then decided that I could do just as well basting and quilting without a hoop. Eureka! Best for me.