Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting with a hoop.. >

Hand quilting with a hoop..

Hand quilting with a hoop..

Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 PM

I have a 14 in. wooden hoop, that has the board at the bottom, it sits on my lap while I quilt. I can sit anywhere comfortably, and I love it. Have used it for years.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 PM

I quilt a queen sized quilt with a 17" square Q Snap frame that I held in my lap and it worked very well. Only a couple of things to mention...the frame is a bit tight to get the quilt snapped into and it can catch seams and stretch the fabric and also, I would not leave the quilt in the frame I.e. Only have it snapped in while quilting, otherwise it could and probably would distort your quilt. It was a good RV travel alternative to be able to quilt without my floor frame.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 AM

Lots of good advice. I use a 14 or 16 inch round hoop BUT when I get to the edges I have a half circle hoop. It is hinged to open up and has a strip of fabric that you can pin the straight edge of your quilt to. I will try to find one online and post the details. I have had this half hoop for a long time so don't know for sure if they are still available.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by GemState View Post
Lots of good advice. I use a 14 or 16 inch round hoop BUT when I get to the edges I have a half circle hoop. It is hinged to open up and has a strip of fabric that you can pin the straight edge of your quilt to. I will try to find one online and post the details. I have had this half hoop for a long time so don't know for sure if they are still available.
Thanks. I'll be looking for your post.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Look at this site and you will see what I am talking about. http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A262646011
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Sorry for the double post!! But try that link.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 AM
dd

I have the white plastic snap together square about 12". I really like this because I felt with the round one I was constantly rehooping and had a lot of already quilted area in my hoop. With a square you don't get that as much. I also made sleeves to go on 2 sides so when I get to the edge or the corner, I just pin the quilt to these sleeves and I can quilt all the way to the edge. It pulls apart and I can carry it along very easily. If the quilt get loose, I just roll the clips to the back and it's tighter.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 AM

I hand quilt with a hoop on my lap. I have a large oval wooden one and a medium oval wooden one for smaller work. I like to be able to sit back in a comfy chair, so no stand for me.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM

I used a 14" round wooden hoop after trying various sizes, this one worked best for me. I rested it up on a coffee table in front of me with most of it in my lap and turned it easily as I went along. I no longer hand quilt due to an injury and I miss it terribly.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 AM

I have the floor variety frame and used it for several years until a nationally recognized quilter commented that she did all of her quilts in a round hoop. Have never gotten the big frame out since!! I use a 14" hoop that I purchased in the quilting section at JoAnn's. (I have smaller ones for little projects.) Set up the card table, which can hold all the "stuff" and help support the hoop on my lap. I love this for the convenience that I can simply take everything down if company is coming or I need the space while getting a quilt done. As to thimble--I never learned to use one because I can't feel where the needle is but it's a necessity when quilting. I have tried a lot of them but the one I really, really like is a leather thimble with metal that goes over the tip of the finger. I think they call it a nickel thimble?? It, too, is at JoAnn's. It's flexible so fits well but gives some protection from the end of the needle. Aching back--go to Dollar Tree and ask for a lumbar support backrest. It's a mesh sort of thing on a flexible frame and is a lot nicer on your back than a pillow. Some of their stores don't carry them though.

Last edited by illinois; 12-13-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: word