Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting ideas >

hand quilting ideas

hand quilting ideas

Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 AM

You don't have to quilt each plate the same. What about every other one differently. I quilted a spiral on my Dresden plates.....starting at center of yellow circle and working my way out to the sashing....I LOVE IT. Also quilted in the ditch around each square to set it off.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
I would quilt on the inside of each dresden "blade" 1/4 inch from the seams. (Avoid quilting the seams!) And also 1/4" away from the plate around the outside of it, on the white fabric. Also 1/4" from edge inside the yellow circles. Then add a little flower or even cross-hatch inside the quilted circle. You will also need to stitich in the ditch or 1/4" in from the edge of the white square. And something simple in the sashing. Enjoy the journey. Don't worry about how long it takes. It will go easier the longer you do it. Here is a link to one I hand quilted. It is a center motif, so larger than most Dresden plates. https://www.facebook.com/12930409375...type=1&theater

That is the Sharon Shamber's quilt that she made for her daughter's wedding gift. WOW! You did a gorgeous job! Trying to copy the quilting ideas for when I start that quilt. Fabric is all washed and waiting for me to cut!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 PM

So far my Dresden Plates are coming along just fine! Slow...but I like how it is looking. I am quilting 1/4" outside the blades, around the yellow circle (inside), then I will cross hatch it, also doing 1/4" around the squares! I will find the painter's frog tape before I attenpt the zigzag on the sashing! Thanks so much ..all of you!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Ip only mark one section you are going to do at a time. It may rub off or just fade and the extra parking that has done this is quilting time wasted.