Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting - Innie or Outtie ? >

Hand Quilting - Innie or Outtie ?

Hand Quilting - Innie or Outtie ?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

i'm one of the out of hoop most of the time hand quilters---it does depend on the project though- sometimes a hoop works better for me---as for those little 'between' needles- they are definitely not for me---i use milners or straw needles to quilt- and people do comment on how small my stitches are- so don't let anyone tell you you have to use a tiny needle to make tiny stitches---not so! sometimes i will use a 'sharp' but most of the time i use john james milner needles which are quite long (especially compared to what is considered a quilting needle. i was taught to use what works best for me---individually- in fact in my first hand quilting class the instructor had about 10-15 different needles---types, sizes, brands for us to try- then we started quilting with the ones we each liked best...she let us know there is no right or wrong---except what does not work for us is wrong- what does work is right it was one of the best classes i ever took!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM

I quilt with a hoop and without hoop. It depends on what I am doing and the look I want. When using the hoop I leave some slack in the fabric to make it easier.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Take a course, I just took dierdra mcelroys course( she does have a book out as well but I prefer to be shown vs read) at the nj somerset mancuso show and it is one of the best things I ever did. :-) She lectured and then worked with all of us individually the 3 hours in the afternoon, I struggled and she worked with me and I have been doing well every nite now. She encourages hoop quilting................
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM

I quilt without a frame or hoop. I pin baste small projects and have larger ones basted by a longarmer. It took me a long time to get used to a thimble.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM

I prefer frames or a hoop, but the type of thimble for me is very important. I like the kind that has a little ridge on the end, as this keeps the needle from slipping off. I learned from a lady that hand quilted like a machine. She was amazing, and she inspired me. She encouraged me to use a thimble, and personally I couldn't hand quilt without one now. It was not easy at first, but with practice it got easier.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM

i do too...use my hoop quite loose, I also use needles that are a bit longer....i have a hard time with the really short needles.....thy say it takes at least 5 quilts to learn to hand quilting.....i tried without a hoop, and didn`t like it...I also use a thimble with a little ridge..i find it is much better and the needle doesn`t slip...
Originally Posted by GemState View Post
For me, quilting in the hoop is much easier. The secret is to have your quilt quite 'loose and saggy' in the hoop. It should move up and down 3 or 4 inches. Lots of people quilt without a hoop as well. It is whatever is easiest for you.

Last edited by huntannette; 03-11-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM

I only make small quilts, and only hand quilt about half of those, but when I hand quilt I don't use a hoop, mostly. I have a pvc hoop, and I've used it a couple of times, but I found it awkward. I've wondered if one of those lap hoops that is supported by a piece you sit on would work better, but I'd rather buy fabric than a hoop that might not work!

I think that I would like a Hinterberg or similar frame, but again, I'm not willing to spend money on an experiment.

P.S. I use 505 spray basting on everything, and I love it. But I love the idea of paying a longarmer to baste a large quilt. I think I'll try that the next time I make a big one!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM

I learned to piece by hand. I've considered going back to hand piecing as I'd probably get more done as I find sitting at a machine just isn't my thing. I also like hand quilting & I usually don't use a hoop. Isn't it whatever works best for one.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 PM

In the hoop. I use a leather thimble on my right middle finger. It does take some practice to get used to.

Kyia
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM

I use a 14" hoop, bigger and it falls off your lap. And the quilt sandwich is taut.

And what makes the difference is the way I quilt. I do a punch and poke stitch, similar to what should be done for needlepoint:
the needle goes straight down into the fabric
The hand underneath pulls the needle through, but only enough to turn the needle and poke it back up
The upper hand takes the needle pulls it up to the surface and pulls the thread taut.
The hand underneath, stays underneath.
After practicing this for about three days, your stitches and spaces should be close to the same size on both the front and back.
It also takes practice to do the running stitch, which I can't do.