Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting and the LQS >

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM

Maybe you could do a small class on hand quilting at your local quilt guild. I know there are lots of folks that would love to learn. That is just a suggestion. Most people don't understand that you have to have quilting thread, quilting needles and so on.. I don't think it is a dying art, I just think this is a hurry up world and no one wants to take the time to hand quilt. We had a lady in our home town that hand quilted for hire and she was always snowed under. sorry you had a bad experience. Also I always try to support our lqs. We don't want them to go away. I know JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby are sometimes cheaper. But like WalMart they can at anytime just up and decide not to carry fabric or sewing supplies anymore. Again just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 AM

What a nice surprise as I was reading through the post to see your comment about going to the Fabric Shack in Waynesville. You are right and it is a great shop. Lived in Dayton, Oh but did not quilt at the time. Have visited this shop when returning to Dayton to visit friends.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 AM

I agree that hand quilting is very relaxing and believe that is my first love in quilting. I am working on the quilt patis using the Grandmother's flower garden and am using 1930's reproduction fabric. I have never tried the Aunt Becky but I certainly agree with you that all of these quilt shops and stores cater to machine quilting; it seems that it is more popular and people do not want to take the time to hand quilt or have the patience.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I did hand quilting when I started in 1965 or 1966, no machine quilting then, only hand quilting about 2 dozen quilts. A very slow process, I started machine quilting about 2004 or 2005 and have made lots and lots of quilts since then. At age 66 I want to make them fast and try to use up some of the lots and lots of fabrics I have.
Hand quilting is beautiful and I appreciate the art of it but, not for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM

I, too, enjoy hand quilting. I have also started hand piecing. It is easier to take places, and even though we have a motorhome for when we travel, we usually like to go to out of the way places, and don't have the hook-ups. I relax when I hand quilt. When I have tried machine quilting, I get a whole lot more tense. I have a hand quilted quilt on my bed that my aunt made when I got married 28 years ago, and then another one that was done a long time ago by my great grandmother, that was on one of the beds at my grandmothers house. Right now, I am doing a baby quilt, with the top being done in tricot. It is a whole cloth quilt, and I think it will be really pretty. I am lucky in that I have a couple of shops close to me that has the supplies I need. I do agree though, we live in a hurry up and get it done society. I wish more people enjoyed hand quilting (not tying) because I would love to have some quilting bees.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Banned

THANK YOU....you might feel like this was a VENT, but actually it was a PSA....people do need to realize not every person who calls them self a "quilter" is spending hours shopping, buying all the NEW notions, books, machines, etc. Some are actually practicing the ART/Craft of actually doing their quilting the good old fashioned, time honored more traditional way! There are shops out there that do cater to people like you, but sadly I think they are all in Alaska or PA!
I am glad you found what you needed online, but wish too that you could have had a more enjoyable relationship with the LQS. AS a side note, she could have ordered all of that for you if she really wanted your business!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

If I go to any quilt shop and ask for a quilting tool or item and the owner/manager has never heard of it I don't spend a dime in that store. It's the height of ignorance to not keep up with what is new, old, or soon to be released for quilting if you own a quilting store. All it takes is reading a few quilt magazines or catalogs. And not having internet in the store to look up the item to at least learn something is very foolish business wise. Sorry, I'll spend my dollars online and the shop can do without, just like I left without.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:01 AM

Sorry about your experience but I have had similar experiences. I bought an Aunt Becky off the internet, moved my sewing room to another room in the house and now have to find Aunt Becky again. :-) I hope I can figure out how to use it.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM

I've hand pieced and hand quilted for years and absolutely love it. Yes, I don't get quick results but it's so rewarding when finished. My daughter bought me a sewing machine and I had the hardest time matching the seams. I'd rather piece by hand. For me sitting in front of the tv with my piecing and quilting is so relaxing. As one poster mentioned, you don't need many supplies just scissors and thread.
'
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 AM

I also am a hand quilter never had heard of this do we know if joanns sell this? I was there last night looking for something for my sore finger boo hoo didnt see this but thank you
I will have to get me one