Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting novice >

Hand quilting novice

Hand quilting novice

Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Http://www.pieceocake.com/ has info for ending knot, and lots more for the quilter. Easier for you to go to site than me try to explain ( I can't use my hands to show you-- haha). Hang in there...I love to hand quilt-- it is when I solve all the world's problems with my private thoughts. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing this link.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks to all of you for the great advice!!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 AM
IQ2

I'm also a novice at hand quilting, but I found that the leather thimble with the coin at the tip works great on my top hand, and for underneath I use the self-stick vinyl "bumpers" to protect my fingertip. They're called "Thimbles" and they come on a peel-off sheet. I reuse the same one at least 6 times until it stops sticking to my finger.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:44 AM

I know we've had some recent threads on hand quilting, but I couldn't find them either. Below is a link to a YouTube video that I found absolutely fascinating. It's a woman with a hand quilting method that uses a particular tool, and you won't believe how fast she goes! (I didn't look into it further, as my fingers don't bend properly so I wouldn't be able to adopt that hand position.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSSyueipPw

I am another who was rescued by thimblelady. Arthritis made the traditional quilting stitch too stressful for my hands, as it requires bending of fingers and wrist movement. The thimblelady method is completely non-stressful. I'm so grateful to her for sharing the method she developed.

I agree that patience, persistence and practice, practice, practice are the keys, whichever method you decide on.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 PM

Glad to hear so many people like ThimbleLady plastic thimbles. I was debating whether to get one of those now or to save up until I could afford her stainless steel thimble. I'll definitely be ordering a plastic one!

Here's a video of Liuxin "Thimble Lady" Newman showing her special hand quilting technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej-2uIyLY0

She gets 14 stitches per inch (omg!), but breaks all the rules for hand quilting. She uses a milliner's needle, puts in quite a bit of slack in her quilting hoop & has her own brand of thimbles with extra deep dimples. She also has her own line of thread, plus uses YLI silk threads for her hand quilting. Her website has all sorts of products & helpful tips.

You might try playing with different needles & different thread. I haven't tried ThimbleLady's milliner needles yet because I'm super happy with John James' Gold'n'Glide milliner needles (they're Teflon coated & slide through fabric really easily) and his size 10 quilting needles. I don't have to use tweezers anymore to pull my needles through the fabric. I use Aurifil thread with beeswax (Thread Heaven would be better) because it's only a 2-ply cotton so it's not as thick. Others prefer silk or monofilament threads. I would play around with the thread & also try a whole bunch of different types of needles.

I struggled a lot with hand quilting when I first started. All I could do was go straight down through all 3 layers & then come straight back up through all 3. Now I can easily load 1-2 consistent stitches on at a time by following ThimbleLady's instructions about making the hill with my thumbnail. She can load 4 at a time, but I figure she's had a whole lot more practice than me. Hang in there, you will keep getting better the more time you put into it, and at the end of the day you will have the most beautiful quilt to enjoy.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 AM

Somebody on her posted two pictures. One when she began hand quilting and one how much she has improved over the years. Read it yesterday so must be page 2 or 3