Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

I am delighted to say there are several hand quilters on the board. Some say it's a dying art...I certainly hope not.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

I also do both, depends on what the quilt is for.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM

I handquilt. As with most quilters I have a backlog that I am working through.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM

I just finished a little throw size quilt that has machine quilting and some decrative hand quilting too - hope it's OK to combine the two. I enjoyed the hand quilting while watching TV. Just haven't figured out to "size" my pictures yet in order to post one. It used to be so very simple.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM

I only hand quilt, I find it very relaxing and rewarding to do it by hand, and you get better every time you do it. I usually piece by machine and hand quilt.,I did buy a John Flynn quilt frame that is still in the box and I do want to use it on baby quilts as they get a lot of washing etc,But just havent had time to learn it. Maybe this year. I had to have a new titanium shoulder put in last year and that slowed me down ,but now I am done with Therapy and cant wait to get started,cmaras
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM

I have an APQS long arm and just started hand quilting. I'd tried it before and didn't enjoy it. Hence, the Millenium purchase. Then a client called from a nursing home. I kind of knew who she was but didn't know her personally. She wanted someone to finish a quilt she and a friend had started. I thought she just needed some binding put on. Nope! Some (a lot of short distances) of the hand quilting needed finished.

I knew how, just didn't think I wanted to put the effort into getting my finger stuck enough times to toughen it up. Once again I was wrong. With the motivation of helping this elderly lady to spur me on, I started hand quilting seriously. And yes, I'm enjoying it.

Now I will finish the quilt my daughter started hand quilting. She was a world class hand quilter but did it too long without taking breaks and now she has chronic problems and is no longer able to quilt.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM

What can one put on the under finger to keep from sticking it so much - ouch! I just finished doing a little hand quilting and tried a little metal stick on for the under finger, but, it just felt so strange and I couldn't get the hang of it. Should I just keep at it to get used to it or is there something else you use to protect the finger under the quilt?

Would really like to know what other hand quilters use because I would really like to hand quilt more often as it was fun (basically, except for the needle pricks).
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM

I've tried numerous things and most interfere with the feel of the needle coming through the material. I found some adhesive dots called Needle Grip-it that work well. I stick one on each index finger since I tend to stick both frequently. Can't remember where I bought them, but I know it was in a craft/sewing department of one of the stores like Hobby Lobby or Hancocks Fabrics. I've also used one of the leather thimbles that covers the whole finger and it worked pretty good. Hope you find something that works for you
Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
What can one put on the under finger to keep from sticking it so much - ouch! I just finished doing a little hand quilting and tried a little metal stick on for the under finger, but, it just felt so strange and I couldn't get the hang of it. Should I just keep at it to get used to it or is there something else you use to protect the finger under the quilt?

Would really like to know what other hand quilters use because I would really like to hand quilt more often as it was fun (basically, except for the needle pricks).
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Hand quilting is my favorite part of quilting! What I do is to have my under finger feel the needle just barely poke through the sandwich (not enough to poke my finger, just enough to feel it) then go back up. This way my finger doesn't get poked & my stitches stay small. Clear as mud?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Hand quilting is my favorite part of quilting! What I do is to have my under finger feel the needle just barely poke through the sandwich (not enough to poke my finger, just enough to feel it) then go back up. This way my finger doesn't get poked & my stitches stay small. Clear as mud?
That's exactly what I do....I was trying to put it into words but couldn't.... I only use a thimble on my top hand.