Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: hand quilting

Banned
    I used to piece and quilt by hand, I appreciate the technique. I like the machine quilting more than I thought I would, with faster results.

I am new to quilting. I have taken a class in FMQ but so far have just practiced on muslin squares and I'm not so sure about it - probably need more practice. I recently bought supplies for hand quilting, including a book to teach myself.

Present and accounted for!! Been hand quilting over 30 years. Just getting into machine quilting (afraid my hands won't hold up, need an alternative).

I have handquilted three I think. One is queen sized and took a long time, one reason is I kept putting it down and picking it up, over months. I will do it again. I enjoy it. Right now I have no motivation even to piece. So waiting for that to reappear too.

I am also a hand quilter. I only do wholecloths - and the more I have done, the more I love them.

I've been a quilter for 1 1/2 years. Started out machine quilting, then wanted to learn to hand quilt. Took me almost a year (not working every day) to complete a hand quilted double bed size quilt. LOVE the process. I'm currently working on a whole cloth quilt. Not good at all.. but I'm learning and again, enjoying the process.

Blog Entries
    I am new to hand quilting. I am working on Grandmother's Flower Garden hexagon quilt. I cut all the hexie's by hand and am sewing them together by hand. My stitches are far from perfect but I am slowly (very slowly) getting there. I am looking forward to quilting it all by hand. I enjoy sitting by my sunny living room window and just stitching away. At night I will watch a little tv to keep my mind occupied.
    Sherri

I am a hand quilter. I just prefer the look of hand quilting. I quilt in a hoop, but have a Grace Z44 frame that hasn't been set up in years. I just couldn't master quilting with my thumb. Recently, I've been thinking about giving it another try. I bought a Roxanne thimble for this years ago, but my hands are large and the thimble is huge and clumsy. I recently started researching thimbles and found Ted Storm's and Thimblelady's that looked interesting, but Ted Storm's has to be ordered from Germany or the Netherlands and Thimblelady's from Australia. Yesterday, I found a T. J. Lane thimble at Jinny Beyer's Studio. It is light weight and feels like a part of my hand. It was the same price as the other two and I could try it on. Played with it last night, and I think with practice I can do it. So as soon as I finish the quilt I'm quilting now I'm going to set up my Z44 and give it a try.

About five years ago I took a FMQ class from Harriet Hargrave, but haven't practiced enough to be any good at it. I did this to quickly finish up some of those tops hanging in my sewing room -- they are still hanging there.

I started quilting about seven years ago and hand quilted everything because machine quilting scared the heck out of me. I also feel I have more control when I hand quilt. This year, I decided to give machine quilting a try on two table runners. I have to admit machine quilting certainly goes faster, but I'll probably go back to hand quilting larger quilts.

I like to do both I have one Quilt I am working on that s hand pieced and I plan to hand Quilt then I have my machine quilts I work on.

Blog Entries
    Count me in! I'm so relieved to hear that folks do both machine and hand quilting on the same piece. SID is with machine...the rest done by hand. And the quilt police will never know,as I don't put them in shows.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I am a handquilter, and will always be a handquilter. I think it gives a personal touch to a quilt; besides, can't afford to have them machine quilted.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    Hand quilter here also. I love being able to set in my rocker and hand quilt of an evening. I just finished a lap quilt that was completely hand quilted, except for a SID around a fussy cut border (http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t216293.html). I've tried FMQ, but I have a standard machine and find it very difficult to quilt on it - even for a wall hanging sized quilt. I can't for the life of me do a rocking stitch, so I do stab stitching with my right hand on the bottom and left hand on top. Yep, hand quilting is the best.

Yes, I'm a hand quilter too. Finding I'm having issues though at age 59. Between arthritis, bursitis and carpal tunnel problems, I can't hand quilt as much as I'd like to. I still hand quilt anything under the size of a queen bed quilt. My last two quilts I had LAQ'd and I love them. I found a lady that does lovely work and is extremely reasonable. These two mentioned quilts I used strictly what I had in my stash so felt I could afford to splurge, plus they were too big to even attempt to wrestle with.

Hand quilting is very peaceful and soothing. It's fun to watch the quilt gain dimension with each stitch and it's fun to revisit each and every fabric. While quilting, I've noticed subtle things for the very first time in the fabric prints.

I have been a handquilter for at least 40 years. I only machine quilt Linus quilts and gifts for non quilters who have a tendancy to wash things to death like my step-daughter.

I just started but will be only hand quilting for the most part as don't have a machine and no room for one here.

I am also a hand quilter. The idea of machine quilting scares me. I have lately felt that I need to learn to machine quilt and have signed up for a class on Craftsy, but have not started it yet.

I love to hand quilt. I think it's very relaxing.
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

I also hand quilt.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I like to hand quilt and also to hand piece. I am making a gfg right now by hand.
    Gina

I hand quilt my quilts except for the borders and I machine quilt them. I have done some machine quilting on smaller items like wall hangings, baby quilts and placemats, pot holders etc. BUT I really enjoy hand quilting it seems
    like I am more in charge if that makes any sense.
    eunice
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

I grew up in a Mennonite home and Mom going to sewing circle group at church. There were some ladies cutting from templates, some sewing on treadle machines and always at least 8 or more sitting around a wooden quilt frame putting tiny little stitches in the quilt. It was an all day event with wonderful Dutch/German foods and fabulous pies and cakes, each one tryin to outdo the other. As a result, I am a hand quilter, sometimes hand piecer and love to do hand applique.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    Quote Originally Posted by adamae View Post
    I grew up in a Mennonite home and Mom going to sewing circle group at church. There were some ladies cutting from templates, some sewing on treadle machines and always at least 8 or more sitting around a wooden quilt frame putting tiny little stitches in the quilt. It was an all day event with wonderful Dutch/German foods and fabulous pies and cakes, each one tryin to outdo the other. As a result, I am a hand quilter, sometimes hand piecer and love to do hand applique.
    What beautiful memories. You paint such a nice picture.

Hand quilter here!! I really enjoy it, and find it relaxing....It fits my lifestyle and budget! I am dreading the day when it gets too hard to hand quilt, as my hands get quite cramped up at times, but I still keep on.....

I have machine-pieced and hand quilted most things in the past, but lately for charity and for small things and "graduation quilts" I have machine quilted. But I'm not very good at it! Lol!!! I love hand quilting--both the look and the process--need to get a hand project going soon!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast