Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: hand quilting

Hi sewmerry - I am a handquilter, never even tried machine quilting. Uki from Germany
    UFM

southpstitches, been there don't suffer with carpal tunnel..... i did for 25 years and while the surgeon was clipping during surgery my pain was gone. can stitch all day if I want. I love all the responses on my question , thanks to all.

Blog Entries
    I do both hand and machine quilting, and some times in the same quilt, I find hand work very relaxing, so like to do it at night while TV is on. When I learn how to use my big quilting machine will use all three methods on a quilt as needed.
    dare to dream

adamae, I greet you as another Mennonite raised sewing circle goer

I just started quilting and I hand quilt!

I do a little bit of machine quilting, but hand quilting is still my first love. I also find myself doing more hand piecing. As I am the one who usually takes my mother in law to doctors appointments or when she needs to go to the hospital or whatever, I sit there and work on these things. I also take the projects on vacation with me. I also enjoy doing it in the evenings when watching TV or spending time with my sweetheart.

sewmerry, ah, memories. good to know you.

Blog Entries
    I am working on a full size quilt now and the whole thing is done by hand. It is my first hand sewn quilt and I am loving it. So relaxing. Every one should try it at least once.

Blog Entries
    Hello Sew merry,
    I hand quilt all my quilts it's must be in the blood. I know I could have more finished if I would switch to machine quilting, don't see that happening.

Another hand quilter here! Find it more relaxing than trying to use the machine. Machines are against me anyway. When I sit down at my machine, it seems to know instinctively that it's time to do it's thing--bobbin runs out of thread, needle breaks, tension under material goes haywire and bunches up the stitches, thread breaks. No thanks!!!!

I am a hand quilter (and I hand piece). I started in 1985, and usually can finish about 4 quilts a year. I am usually working on 16 in various stages at the same time because I get bored working on the same one day after day.
    I have been looking for a local group of hand quilters in my city and can't find one. I would love to sit with others and share techniques. I don't use a hoop, just quilt on my lap and am now at about 8 spi.

I'm here. I just don't get MQ. To me I see it as art, too much thread, not enough loft. But I will say I have done just straight lines on children quilts on the machine, only because I knew they will be used and abused. But HQ is my fav. I inherited lots of patterns from my Aunt and since I like old things, I will keep to it till my hands say no more.

I hand quilt. I did a full size quilt by hand and am so proud of it. I've given quilts to my family and I have them machine quilted since they get a lot of use and I feel machine quilted are stronger. Personally I feel anythng hand quilted should be cherished. I wanted a hand quilted quilt for a long time and never bought one because they're so expensive. Once I started hand quilting I knew why.

Since we are on the topic of hand work---I you hand piece, what type of stitch works best..I figure a running stitch is not going to have the best hold...

I'm a hand quilter (a very slow one at that) and I prefer it but have seen some really pretty machine quilting. I have never tried machine quilting so I have no idea of how to do it. One of these days I'm going to try it.

I have been quilting for 25 years and I have quilted too many quilts to count. They are all hand quilted. Then 2 years ago I purchased a long arm and since then everything is machine quilted... But I LOVED to hand quilt, I am thinking about starting to applique so I have something to do while watching TV in the evening.... !!
    llweezie

Blog Entries
    I don't get excited to see a handquilted quilt. I know a lot of time and skill were involved but that's the quilter's choice to add all that to the quilt because they enjoy doing it. Long ago it was the only way if you wanted a quilt.
    I have handquilted two queen size quilts and did not enjoy it enough to want to do it for every quilt I made.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Since we are on the topic of hand work---I you hand piece, what type of stitch works best..I figure a running stitch is not going to have the best hold...
    Running stitches hold up just fine.

I do a running stitch, with a back stitch every time I stop and pull the thread through. I have a quilt on my bed with hand pieced blocks - it's over 10 years old and gets washed frequently. The only bad spot on it is where the cat recently bit through some sashing. and there are lots of antique quilts with us that were hand pieced and still holding up after decades.

Janet

Another hand quilter here. My mother showed me how when I was about 10 or 11. Helped her over the years with a few quilts. Then after she passed away 7 years ago, I started piecing (by machine) I do have a GMFG that I am hand piecing, but I hand quilt almost everything, a charity quilt, I will SID, but hand quilt everything else, table runners, up to King Size quilts in my lap on a 14" hoop. I also hand appliqué some and the quilting is relaxing for me, I quilt some most every evening. Personally, the machine quilting does not appeal to me, that is just my opinion. If I keep right at it every evening, I can hand quilt a king size in about 6 or 7 weeks.

Blog Entries
    Another hand-quilter here. Also enjoy doing hand-piecing, although I do most of my piecing by machine.

One more!! Machine piece/ no hoop hand quilt. Like many, I hand quilt because I don't know how to machine quilt LOL!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I'm a hand quilter! I'd like to learn to do machine quilting but am not quite there yet. My problem is I'm just so sssllloooooooooww!
    Why do I keep trying to find the "like" button?

Viking Husqvarna 950 S; Bernina 1150 MDA

My DD & I both hand quilt. We also hand piece some, & also machine piece. I did machine quilt one quilt a long time ago on my regular home sewing machine. It was difficult to do & I wasn't happy with the results. I've seen many machine quilted items that I loved & many that I did not.

machine piece, hand quilt unless it has to be finished ASAP.

The first quilt I ever made(4 yrs. ago) was hand pieced and hand quilted. I didn't have a machine, but wanted to make a quilt for my grandaughter. Then my DH bought me a machine. I haven't hand pieced since but continue to hand quilt and applique. I do love FMQ...practice.practice,practice.
    I was recently at a quilt show and only saw a few handquilted items, let alone hand pieced. I don't want it to be a lost art. Glad to see so many of you hand quilt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast