Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: hand quilting

hand quilting

I've noticed that a lot of the quilting I've viewed is machine stitched. are there any hand quilters out there?

Hi Sewmerry. I am a hand quilter. I have just recently started doing some machine stitch in the ditch. The quilt that I am working on has both hand quilting and sid. I have arthritis in my dominant wrist so started using the machine for some of my quilting. But I love the hand quilting.
    Linda

I started doing hand quilting last year. I did a full-size bed quilt for my guest room & 3 lap quilts for 3 grandsons. I have done s-i-d on lap quilts projects in the past.

I do almost exclusively hand quilting and have for 30 years or so. I'm actually afraid to machine quilt as I don't have the know how or skill and would be horrified to ruin something as a "practice" piece. Yes, we are here.

Blog Entries
    I'm here
    Bernie

I'm a hand quilter - find no pleasure sitting at a sewing machine

I prefer to hand quilt as I find it relaxing. However I also machine quilt when the quilt is going to be washed often eg. childs' quilt.

I do some and some. I was a hand quilter but my hands are really bad now and the hand quilting causes me a lot of pain so I have to limit how much hand quilting I do now
    ​Jan

Blog Entries
    Hi all hand quilters. I hand quilt as well as machine. Quick projects by machine and small projects I can quilt on my knee at night hand quilt. Love both types. People are looking for hand quilting when they come to shows .
    Finished is better than a UFO

Another hand quilter here. Actually I think there are quite a few on this board. I usually machine piece and hand quilt. Very little machine quilting...only when donations require it. Otherwise I quilt while watching TV with DH in the evenings (when I'm not cruising around here, that is).

I'm a hand quilter too. : )

Yep we are here! I'm working on a queen size Lonestar now, all hand sewn.....but also have a twister going on the machine.........I prefer hand quilting because I find it relaxing.........sitting at the machine is like coming home from work to work some more

I used to hand quilt but unfortunately I can not do that any more. My hands are too arthritic. I loved sitting down watching TV and doing that.

Blog Entries
    lots of hand quilters here- you are not alone!
    i'm (both) i hand quilt some projects- i long-arm machine and i also quilt on my domestic machine- just depends on the project- I long-arm for other people too...and every once in a while i may have a quilt that contains all 3 methods...with some areas hand quilted- some long arm and some still done on my regular sewing machine. for me - very detailed areas i like to do on the domestic---lets me get up close & personal---
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Count me as one of the 'afraid of machines' group. I have done some machine piecing since I got a precious featherweight. It only goes forward and backwards...nothing fancy and confusing...but I still hand quilt.

Another handquilter here - I will machine piece, but hand quilt. Currently working on a king size quilt. I also find it very relaxing and therapeutic.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Me too, I find it very relaxing. My grandmother taught me how to hand quilt.I machine piece my quilts,but I have always and will always hand quilt them.

Raising my hand Most all the quilts I have made have been hand quilted. I have been very timid about trying machine quilting. So, yeah we are out here.
    Pat
    Patsy

count me in I'm a both'er I have been hand quilting for years. I have a quilt in the frame all the time. it is my go to on the bad days.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

I am a hand quilter. I try to have something to hand quilt by my chair every evening. Since I started quilting a little over two years ago, I have hand quilted 4 quilts (reg and queen), 3 baby quilts and more than 7 table runners. I do machine all the piece work and I am now doing machine sewing around the the outline of the blocks (stitching-in-the-ditch) and then hand quilting the details in the blocks. Here is a square from my GD's Christmas quilt. I am getting better at it. My stitches are getting smaller
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 03-15-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Busy in Ohio

There are more of us than you might think - I hand quilt, hand piece and hand appliqué.

Janet

Banned
    Have those who have difficulty hand quilting tried the "stab stitch" technique. You may or may not like it but might be an alternative. Also there is a "thimble" somewhat like a paddle that I am told is good for those having difficult with the traditional thimble.
    Hand quilting is still alive and well. For years and up to this year I taught for a traveling convention and usually had one class per event with from 15-20 students and 8 events a year - do the math.

I am brand new here but have read comments
    for several months. Hand quilter all the way. I do machine piece, but hand appliqué and quilting is relaxing for me. Sitting at a machine is not too pleasant for me but hunkering down under a quilt hoop certainly is!

Banned
    *raises hand*

Blog Entries
    I am also a hand quilter !

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast