Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting on your lap >

hand quilting on your lap

hand quilting on your lap

Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 AM

I hand quilt with either a hoop or a q-snap frame. The q-snap work best for the edges. The thimble I use is a regular one that came from Bents Old Fort in Colorado. Found they fit and ordered a dozen of them. I usually make queen size quilts and being in the hoop take them with me in car trips to work on, Time well spend and I don't have to drive or try to read maps.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I use the round one like Up North does. Sometimes a smaller one.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:41 AM

I hand quilt in my lap. I don't use hoops or anything. I think it's just getting used to how you hold it so you can keep one hand underneath to feel for the needle coming through. I love handquilting - just wish it didn't take so long.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 AM

I handquilt on my lap and use a 14" wood hoop. I've completed a twin size and a queen size quilt with this method. Just basted a second queen size that I will do the same way. Works great for me.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 AM

I hand quilted a quilt without a hoop or a thimble I enjoy the hand quilting while watching t.v. I was pleased to read that safety pins can be used when hand quilting. The quilt police told me this was a major no-no but basting takes soooo long.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Have quilted dozens of quilts on my lap, including a queen wholecloth, with no frame. My back will not allow me to work on a frame, so no choice here. I use spray basting, pins and start in the middle. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 AM

I hand quilt queen size quilts all the time. I use a 14" round hoop. I pin and baste. I also remove pins and basting as I go along. My hoop is a very rigid. Since it will not bend, the layers stay put. Do not use a hoop if it bends. My hoop came from FA Edmunds. I'm told they purchase them fro Germany.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 AM

I prefer a hoop, simply because it holds the material taut, and it's less I have to hold, and don't have to keep smoothing!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157836.png  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Gal

Some interesting posts here, I make queen size bed quilts machine pieced and all hand quilted sitting in a comforable chair using an 18inch hoop and I love it! I bast well and begin in the centre working my way outwards. I have a good machine to do machine quilting on but since discovering hand quilting I am sold! It is so relaxing and I enjoy it so much I can't wait until my quilt tops are ready to be quilted, it is by far my most favourite part of making a quilt. I think it also depends a lot on what works for you as an individual,there really are no rules except that it should be enjoyable right!

Gal
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 AM

I also get that same question a lot, why hand quilt when you can do it so much faster on your machine? I have a large frame for the huge quilts. I'm doing a king sized one right now on it but for smaller projects I use a lap frame that I bought at my LQS but you can find them at graceframes.com.