Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sew binding or machine? >

Hand sew binding or machine?

Hand sew binding or machine?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:33 AM

I machine stitch all of my bindings. I use the flange binding and am happy with the look. I want my quilts to be used, not put in a closet to save for the next generation. If I had any inclination to do an heirloom quilt, I would definitely hand sew.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 AM

I also prefer the look of hand binding so I stitch the binding to the front of the quilt by machine. Then I fold over to the back and hand stitch using a blind quilting stitch. I also pre-press the binding in half and then again to the width it will be when turned to the back. Makes the binding lay down perfectly. I find it relaxing. See Missouri Quilt company tutorial found on pinterest for this.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 AM

I do some of each. My favorite is to do a faux piped binding. I use 1.5 inches of the binding and 1.75 inches of the piping, sew them together, press open, press in half and stitch to the back of the quilt. When you pull it around to the front, it makes a piping and you stitch in the ditch between the 2 colors. Works like a charm.
I've also been experimenting with the blind hem foot and am not as proficient with that yet as I'd like to be. When I stitch down by machine, I much prefer to see the binding I'm trying to stitch down.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:08 AM

I hand sew all of mine.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:57 AM

I hand stitch my binding. Tried doing it on the machine once and was so disappointed with the results that I've never done it again. The hand sewing is also very calming to me and one which I appreciate in finishing the quilt.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 AM

I hand sew because I haven't been able to successfully do it by hand, plus I don't mind doing it by hand, after finishing it by hand, then I machine stitch it. I either do straight stitch or a decorative stitch onto the binding.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:22 AM

I hand sew my bindings but only because at this point I enjoy doing it in the evenings. When it becomes more difficult for my fingers to control the needle I will start to practice sewing on by machine. I hand quilted quilts for my grandchildren and so enjoyed the process but have had to give that up due to not being able to control the short needle but after a suggestion from this board am in the process of "long stitch" quilting a twin quilt.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
I do some of each. My favorite is to do a faux piped binding. I use 1.5 inches of the binding and 1.75 inches of the piping, sew them together, press open, press in half and stitch to the back of the quilt. When you pull it around to the front, it makes a piping and you stitch in the ditch between the 2 colors. Works like a charm.
I do what Kris does. I love the faux piping and most of the time you cannot tell from the top its machine stitched. I still hand bind, but sometime the charities ask for machine binding. The other method I am working on is using a flat fell foot. You apply the binding by machine on the back, bring it to the front and stitch down with the flat fell foot. I liked the first attempt, but will be working on making in better (in my eyes!)
Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 AM

I suppose if I was making a quilt for competition and hand sewed binding was required, I'd do it. But otherwise, if someone told me I HAD to hand sew bindings on quilts, I'd give up making quilts.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM

I use elmer's glue to attach my binding to the front before I take it to the machine to sew it on. No pins to get pricked by. Then while watching TV at night I'll hand sew it to the back, about an hour or two each night till its done. Never could stitch it down using the stitch in the ditch method. Always looked messy as I can't sew a straight line to save my life even using a foot with the flange in the middle to keep it straight. Plus I don't mind hand sewing while I'm watching TV as it keeps me from munching instead..