Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sew binding or machine? >

Hand sew binding or machine?

Hand sew binding or machine?

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 AM

I hand stitch except for children's donation quilts. I think the way a binding looks, no matter which technique, is very important to the overall appeal and quality.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I attach the binding to the back with machine and fold it over and hand stitch it to the front by hand. Some fold to the back, either way is fine. I have seen only a few machine attached bindings that look good. I've noticed the stitching is rarely even from end to end. I have used decorative stitching to sew the binding but it doesn't look that great on most quilts to me.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
I machine stitch most of my bindings. I cut the strips 2.25" wide and fold them in half. I sew the binding to the back with a very scant 1/4" seam, turn it to the front and top stitch very close to the edge. I try to use a color that matches the backing on my bobbin and the binding for my top thread. Alternately, I use the same color as the quilting thread. The line of stitching never hits the binding on the back of the quilt; it just runs parallel with it. The corners look perfect. I may be rationalizing and I have no proof, but I like to think that a machine-sewn binding is sturdier than a hand-sewn one. I do prefer the look of a hand-sewn binding, but I hate doing it, so usually I don't.
This is exactly what I do, although I sometimes make the binding strip wider to have the line of stitching I do on the front further away from the binding on the back. I used a snowflake stitch I have on my machine for a baby blanket that was backed in figure skater flannel and it turned out really nice.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 AM

Check out the Martelli binding system. Perfect binding every time! Neat as a pin!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM

I have done both. I find the hand sewn version looks neater but obviously takes a lot longer. If you aren't precise with your machine stitches, it may not come out looking as good as you might like. The machine sewn version is stronger though. I always worry that hand sewn stitches will break & it will come apart.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 AM

I have always hand-stitched my bindings and loved doing it. Recently experienced joint problems and can no longer stitch them by hand...will take some getting used to, and trial and error on my part, to be satisfied with the machine stitching!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:43 AM

I have never been able to machine sew the binding on the back and have it look like I really want it to, so I always hand sew the binding on the back. I get to snuggle under that quilt while I am finishing it and I think that is part of the reason to enjoy that final step
Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Hand sew the back. To me there is something satisfying about completing it by hand. Even if the rest of it is machine done.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:46 PM

I hand sew it. I think I end up with better results. I think it's possible to machine stitch binding and have it look great - I have seen other people do it. I just really think it would be too easy to make a mistake.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done this but just looked it up since others in this post mentioned it and it looks great.

http://www.lvqg.org/media/2a7a5a699c...02ffffe415.pdf