Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handiquilter >

Handiquilter

Handiquilter

Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Landers View Post
I don't know much about this machine but I would like to tell you that whatever you buy make sure that you have an authorized dealer and repair service locally. I see several of my friends that live here in NV with me and if their machines need any repair, they do not have a service person (even in Reno) and have to ship their machine for repair. i brought a BabyLock Jewel a couple of years ago and really went for it because they can service in Reno in 2 shops and at my CA home, I have a choice of 5/6 authorized repair service shops. On of the CA shops are within 20 miles from me.
This was advice given to my by a very competent quilter a number of years ago. It is good advice. It's not fun having to ship your machine to a repair shop. Bad enough if you have to leave it at a local shop but at least you can drop it off and pick it up easily and when ready. And you can talk to the service repair person to get feedback on what was going on with the machine and maybe even a demonstration on how best to treat the machine. There are a number of machines out there that are good so local is what I would buy now.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm so in love with my HQ Avante, and I bought it second hand from a quilt shop where I'm sure she was used and abused. Good machine, never a lick of trouble. I've done a dozen quilts or so since April.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the comments. My LQS has one on order and I am wanting to test drive. Maybe I could find a second hand one also.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:31 AM

and their customer service is really good. I have had an HQ16 for several years and love it more each day
Old 11-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Love, Love, Love my HQ. Have had it for several years, quilt for myself and others on it. Easy to use and their customer service is great.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:03 PM

I have the HQ16 and have upgraded it to include the ProStitcher and the newer table bed and trolley. I love mine.

OK, I have a few HQ dealers here in my area. I went to another quilt quild and found another HQ owner. She has never taken her HQ in for repair. If she had a problem she just called HQ and they talked her through it. I called when we had questions on setting up the new table top and they were wonderful; sent me e-mail pictures and descriptions, and then we talked some more and got the job done.

Learn your own maintenance and HQ will help you out with the rest.

ali
Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM

I have the hq16 since Sept...and I LOVE it.... It's easy to use and simple to setup. I highly recommend it. Especially if you have done a good amount of machine quilting already.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM

I appreciated reading everyone's comments, especially about if you need service.

I recently bought a Handi Quilter frame and was told I could use my own sewing machine with it. I have an old Kenmore and a Singer Quantum Futura. I was told once you set it up, you will probably want to leave the sewing machine on the frame. Has any one used this kind of Handi Quilter Frame. Any advice on what kind of sewing machine I should use?
PennyG
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 AM

I own the Handy Quilter sit down and the Avante with the Pro Sticher. My sit down model is last years model, still a very nice machine, I am thinking of selling her running out of space in my studio.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 AM

I also have the Avante and love it!