Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hanging my head in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
    I just had WLS surgery a couple weeks ago and decided that I should take my sewing machine to repair man, as it was acting up, and didn't feel up to sewing. Well when I picked it up, he showed me ALL the lint that was in that machine. He said I should bring a well used machine every year. It had been a looooong time since I had it cleaned. Oh shame on me. It sure works good now.....Let this be a lesson.
    I had WLS 4 years ago...the first 3 months were the worst...I had a lot of pain where the inserted the scope...but I would do it all over again...I lost 140 lbs and feel younger and healthier than I have felt in many years. I hope all goes well with you!
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Do you really think this is true???? I just (a few months ago) had my Janome 6600 serviced for the first time in 4 years. The dealer recommended servicing every 5 years, as long as I keep the bobbin area clean. This makes me wonder if the "yearly service" is just a money grab by dealers that we have fallen for. I don't know....but I DO wonder.

As for the new Singer machines......let's just say they are NOTHING like the old Singers. The company that bought the Singer name does not care about quality. Your experience proves this.

"The newer, computerized machines do need more attention -- there are adjustments that need to be made to keep the stitching even and accurate. I know when I had one of the new Singer machines, the stitching was getting "off" all the time so I could "

Blog Entries
    after my WLS, the doctor said I need to get moving so I bought the WII Fit and started slowly with this. It really helped me move and doing a little bit everyday, in time I was using it more and more, challenging myself to some of the harder options. My favorites were the marching and hula hoop. There's also a "walk around". I would walk around the house for the 10 minutes and it really has helped. Unfortunately, my WII pooped out for some reason so I no longer have that fun exercise program. My new little doxie rescue, Chip, has me walking almost everyday now so I'm still able to keep moving.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
    I had WLS 4 years ago...the first 3 months were the worst...I had a lot of pain where the inserted the scope...but I would do it all over again...I lost 140 lbs and feel younger and healthier than I have felt in many years. I hope all goes well with you!
    Isn't it amazing how much better we feel without that extra "person" on our body? I'm with you -- I would do it again because I feel my life has changed so much even with my fibro and arthritis.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I will admit I could certainly use the WLS. I have an autoimmune disease and am afraid that the surgery might not go well with that. As for cleaning my machine. I have to take the stitchplate off and clean the bobbin case etc. as often as everyother day when I am busy with my Linus quilts. I actually worked for a Bernina dealer when I first started purchasing Bernina machines. I am not ashamed to confess that I only have my machines looked at by a real repairman when they stop working altogether. I guess I am just to cheap.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    good luck on the WLS!! and thanks for letting us know ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I was also told by a Bernina rep to oil my machine everytime I changed the bobbin as well as clean the lint out. She said when the alert comes on that means you've waited too long to oil it!

Machine cleaning

I agree with all the posts here. Cleaning under the stitch plate and the bobbing area are great. Don't forget to oil the hook every 1-2 bobbins too. But nothng replaces a yearly cleaning, they take all the covers off to clean, oil and grease places you can't get to. Plus they do miner adjustments.

I clean mine out at least every 3 bobbins changes, I have an attachment for vacuum cleaner and some real long q-tip type things and can really get out the stuff. Missouri Quilt Company's tutorial was unbelieveable. I couldn't believe it would be so full of stuff and still work.

Well, I have had my trusty Kenmore since 1977 and only have had it in for service for the first time and only time a couple or so years ago. I had done all the cleaning & oiling myself and was fine. Then it took to making a noise that no matter how much I cleaned or oil it would only briefly stop then start again. Well, I didn't won't to keep on & perhaps do permanant damage so I took her to be looked at. All that was done was more cleaning & oiling, go figure. My Janome manuel doesn't have oiling instructions so I guess it is self-contained but have to keep after the lint regular. I find those big cheneil - pipe cleaner things make great lint collectors and they reach lots of places easily.
    wonderfully and beautifully made, even if you can't see it on the outside

Harbor Freight also carries a small vacuum adaptor set. Thanks for the reminder that my machine probably needs to be serviced!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    OOOOH shame shame lol - I take the vacume with an attachment and suck out as much as I can all the time. thx for sharing it will remind many to clean theirs.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

All, please note that while you should be cleaning and oiling your machine often that most of the newer machines also need to be taken in for maintenance. There are places inside the case that need to be cleaned and oiled.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I pop off the cover of the feed dogs at every bobbin change and use a small paint brush to get out the lint. I am amazed at the lint and thread pieces I find.
    I clean out my bobbin area every time I change my bobbin, too... just habit. My little Featherweight is just happier with less lint!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Every time I rewind the bobbin I give the bobbin area a good 'blow' and periodically get out the little cleaner brush ( I think it originally was for one of the guys electric shaver). Amazing how much lint can collect how quickly, even with the 'blow' every bobbin change. Now to get out the broom and sweep my entire studio...need to keep a broom in there so it's handy.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2