Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hanging my head in shame.

Hanging my head in shame.

I just had WLS surgery a couple weeks ago and decided that I should take my sewing machine to repair man, as it was acting up, and didn't feel up to sewing. Well when I picked it up, he showed me ALL the lint that was in that machine. He said I should bring a well used machine every year. It had been a looooong time since I had it cleaned. Oh shame on me. It sure works good now.....Let this be a lesson.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz

Blog Entries
    Ooooh, thanks for the reminder. Hope your surgery is a big success.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

my daughter had gastric bypass 2 1/2 years ago...hardest thing she has ever done but she is so glad she did it!! for me, on the outside looking in, it has been hard too. good luck and follow your Dr.s orders!!!!

Blog Entries
    if you make it a habit to clean out your machine yourself between every 2 bobbin changes and between projects you can avoid costly repairs & cleaning bills-
    you can purchase a vacuum attachment kit that has all the tools you need to keep your machine running happily along-
    the attachments connect to your vacuum hose- they are available at Clotilde's, Nancy's Notions, Keepsake quilting, Hobby Lobby, Connecting Threads and many computer stores- cost between $15 & $25---well worth it to not have to pay for someone else to clean your machine lint-
    you should clean under the bobbin area at least every 2nd bobbin change (more often if using flannels or other linty fabrics) and between projects-check your machine manual to see if you should also be oiling your machine on a regular schedule- some machines need it (as often as every 8 hours of sewing time) some have (enclosed systems) and do not- but cleaning should be a regular maintenance task at least between projects.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I pop off the cover of the feed dogs at every bobbin change and use a small paint brush to get out the lint. I am amazed at the lint and thread pieces I find.

It really is amazing how much can collect and in a short period of time. I know you will be cleaning more often!

Ugh. I hate those types of moments. Congratulations on taking the step to improve our lifestyle. Wish there was something for needing to lose 20-25 lbs! Working a job where you sit all day has taken a toll on myself!
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Funny you should post this now, finally earlier today I cleaned out my machine. MSQC has a tutorial that I followed, plus I got to a few different places. The lint was unbelievable. When I was down with knee surgery in February I took it in to be cleaned and serviced. I can't believe all the lint, dust and thread that accumulated since then. I'm determined to clean it at least every month, it was no big deal. I haven't used my machine yet since I cleaned it, but will be interested to see if it runs better now!
    groovey

Best wishes for your surgery/recovery!

I finally learned to clean the bobbin area frequently because the bottom stitch goes loose otherwise.
    Jean

Blog Entries
    Please don't be ashamed. when I bought my latest machine about 9 years ago, the dealer never told me one thing about cleaning out under the bobbin case. After I moved here and began sewing so much more, it began to make a clunky sound so I took it here to be serviced. That is when they told me that it was crammed full of lint and showed me how to clean it out. I can tell by the sound now when it needs it but I do it at least every 3rd or 4th bobbin change. I still get it serviced every 18 months or so just for good measure but just cleaning it out helps a bunch. Like I said, someone just needed to tell you.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Congratulations on having your WLS and thank you for reminding me it's time to havemy machine serviced.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I hope you and machine are doing better

My first machine I had for 9 years before anyone told me to clean out the lint. When she popped off that bobbin plate and showed how much lint had accumulated, I was embarrassed. I clean it quite regularly now. Good thing I started quilting so someone could tell me to do that!
    Heather

Hope you do well with your surgery!

I try to clean my machine often but sometimes get so involved in my projects, I forget. The machines usually remind me- they just don't sound the same when they are dirty. I just have to pay attention.

Have fun with your clean machine!

I have been sewing for 45 years and have never taken a machine anywhere to be cleaned or oiled. Just did it myself. Are the new fancy machines different? Needless to say I have only old, non-fancy machines!!

It is sad that no one thinks we machine users aren't smart enough to maintain our machines. When I got my first 'real' machine (sr in HS- LIGHT YEARS ago) there were classes and one of the first ones was the "care and feeding" of this machine - how to clean and oil it. Now machines are more complex-at least electronically- but still we need to know basic maintenance. Save the complex stuff for the dealer.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't taken my machine in either for almost 3 years until I needed it serviced due to a cracked bobbin case. I was also read the "servicing act" (like the riot act but kinder LOL) but he was surprised how clean the machine actually was. I use a vacuum every couple of projects to suck out as much as possible. But I, too, should have it serviced every year. I've had my Babylock Esante for 4 years now and it's still a wonderful and reliable machine.

And, congrats on your WLS !! I'm over 4 years out and lost 100#. Can't seem to get the last 40# off but the doctor said that might happen if I can't exercise like I need to -- fibromyalgia and arthritis make it difficult. If you need some support, please feel free to PM me anytime. One thing I will tell you that happens to all of us during the first couple of months is this -- you will ask yourself "what have I done?" This is because you can't eat like you used to (which is why you had the surgery) and your emotional bond with food has been severed. This is normal and will pass. Good Luck on the new you!!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I have been sewing for 45 years and have never taken a machine anywhere to be cleaned or oiled. Just did it myself. Are the new fancy machines different? Needless to say I have only old, non-fancy machines!!
    I was the same way with the older, mechanical machines. We could do basic maintenance on them and keep them going for years and years.

The newer, computerized machines do need more attention -- there are adjustments that need to be made to keep the stitching even and accurate. I know when I had one of the new Singer machines, the stitching was getting "off" all the time so I could barely use the decorative stitches on that machine. Glad I got rid of it.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadee_42us View Post
    Ugh. I hate those types of moments. Congratulations on taking the step to improve our lifestyle. Wish there was something for needing to lose 20-25 lbs! Working a job where you sit all day has taken a toll on myself!
    start a walking program that you can do on the weekends. get up early and go walking. once you get acclimated to this, walk during your lunch break at work and once you get this down, you may just be willing to get up a bit earlier in the morning before work and walk.

with your walking program in place (which will start burning up those calories) next you can focus on what you are eating. if you find you are snacking at work, take healthy snacks to work with you such as carrots, celery sticks, cucumber slices, crackers, fruits, etc. instead of vending machine snacks. drink plenty of water versus sugary drinks such as soda. the high fructose corn syrup in sugary drinks is a weight gaining culprit. use honey crystals as sweetners instead of sugar in your teas and coffees.

making these small non-drastic changes will work towards your goal of losing the 20-25 lbs. you have to start someplace. start small and work your way up to more targeted weight lose measures. but start small so that you can find some measure of success to motivate you to go further.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Congratulations on the 'brand new' sewing machine. That is what mine seemed like after it was cleaned! Now I know what to do with the itty bitty screwdriver and itty bitty brush that came with the machine I was too busy to clean it...I wanted to sew!

A second congratulations on the WL surgery! Your new life change and a 'new machine'..............the world better watch out for you and your creativity. My SIL had lapband surgery last July. He had to lose 100 lbs before they could even do the surgery. He has lost more pound - slowly - continuing the erxercise program every day - and is off all meds now for blood pressure and diabetes!

Will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

I have always made it a habit to clean out my machine often, but I have help cause it gets a bit noisy when I ignore it.

I was having problems with my Jenome and cleaned the bobbin area, still didn't take care of the problem, Husband turned the machine over and took the bottom off. Holy smokes you wouldn't believe the lint. After using the vacuum works like a top.
    Quiltlady

A good reminder for all of us, especially me! I am really bad about not doing this!

I had my machine cleaned, adjusted and a part replaced 3 yrs. ago and already have plans to take it to the shop to be cleaned, oiled and adjusted this next week.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast