Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging Quilts >

Hanging Quilts

Hanging Quilts

Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Banned

I use those clips and haven't had any problems.
Another thing that I use is used larger sewing machine needles or used long arm needles. If I want to hang a small quilt on a wall (lap sized or smaller) and I don't want to use a quilt hanger I position the quilt where I want it to be and use my old needles as anchors in the quilt. I push the used needles through the quilt at the corners and tap the needles into the wall. If the quilt needs extra support in the middle, I just use more needles. The quilt hangs straight because it is supported. I do take the quilts down every so often and re-hang them. When the machine needles are removed from the wall, there is hardly a mark in the wall and I've never had a quilt damaged. But, I've not used this on a larger sized quilt.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by gaigai
The easy way is just to get push-pins and carefully work them through the fabric, then into the wall. They won't tear the thread, and will only leave tiny holes in the wall, and are easy to move. You can hang a queen-sized quilt with only 4 pins.

This is what a lot of quilt shops do to display quilts.
I would not do this - there is a lot of weight to hang from 4 pins. There can be a problem with sagging and stretching. For a wall quilt, sure, but not a bed quilt. I would not put my quilt in a shop that did this. Although I once bought an antique quilt that had been NAILED to the wall for display - had to borrow a hammer to get it down.
I've done it for years, and have seen LOTS of shops do this. It works just fine and doesn't damage or stretch the quilt. But as the saying goes "Chaque a son gout". To each his own.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

hanging a real quilt for any length of time is never a good thing...the weight alone will eventually put stress/strain on the seams. the binding can not withstand years of hanging from clips either unless you are able to rotate it every few months so it wears evenly.

I have wooden hangers that have a slot for the binding to fit into and then the front screws down on the quilt. But I only hand smaller wall type quilts, not a huge queen or anything that heavy!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM

I use the curtain rods and rings for some quilts and make hanging sleeves for others. Both methods work for me and I have never had a problem with the ring clips hurting my quilts. I have used the push pins before and ended up with small holes in my quilts.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks for all the good information - now to get the curtain rod hung. First need to get rid of a very old piano that's on the wall. Anyone in the El Paso area want an old piano?