Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging Sleeves >

Hanging Sleeves

Hanging Sleeves

Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Hanging Sleeves

I'm about ready to bind my quilt for our guild's quilt show. I have never put a hanging sleeve on anything before, and was wondering if anyone had any tips, methods, tutorials, etc to share? The quilt is only 60x60, but I want to be able to easily remove the sleeve without damaging the quilt. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM

If allowed, you can just pin the sleeve onto the back being careful that no pins go through to the quilt front. You can also sew by hand a long running stitch like a basting stitch again with no stitches showing on the front. I'm sure there are utube tutorials available to see how to make the sleeve. Good luck in your guild show.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

I've put many sleeves on quilts over the years- I don't understand the *wanting to remove it* part. lots of my family's bed quilts have sleeves- my daughter's wedding quilt is quite heavy/warm- it is on the bed in the winter & hangs over their sliding glass doors in the summer. anyway- there are a number of tutorials for adding a sleeve to your quilt- they are generally stitched under the binding on the top- then whip stitched across the bottom & the inside side edges. I would be worried about the weight of the quilt tearing the backing if pins were used to hold a sleeve in place. maybe 'velcro' ? since my sleeves are made with the same fabric as the backing they are not noticeable on a quilt-unless you are looking for it- you might want to check with the organizers of the show and talk to them about it
Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 AM

I want to be able to remove it because it is going to be my reading/lap quilt after the show, and I don't plan to show it again.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

You will have to stitch it by hand on both the top and bottom edge if you want to remove it. I have never heard of a show where they allow you to simply pin it on. Most shows want the sleeve to measure at least 6". I normally measure my quilt's finished width and make my sleeve just an inch shorter. You can make the sleeve by taking a 12 1/2" by your quilt's full width peice of fabric and fold it in half, right sides together and stitch along the raw edge. Turn it right side out then turn under a finished edge on either side. I usually do a double 1/2" turn so no raw edges are showing. This provides a nice finished edge and makes the sleeve just 2" shorter than my quilt width. If you want to remove it, then attach it after you have bound the quilt. Line up the top edge of your sleeve with your binding edge and whip stitch or use a blind stitch like for applique along the top. I then measure down about 5" allowing an inch of looseness in the sleeve, pin and stitch to the bottom. Being careful to not let any of my stiches go through to the front of the quilt. The slack in the sleeve is for shows that display on dowels or 2 x 4 boards. This slack allows for the hanging rod and doesn't create a lump on the front of the quilt.

Here is a good tute, that does it very similar to how I do it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8772043_put-...eve-quilt.html
Old 08-02-2013, 05:58 AM

Shows that I know have all required 4" sleeves attached a half to a full inch below the top of the quilt so they do not show above the top of the quilt when hung. This is how I make mine.
http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com...lt-sleeve.html

Your guild should be able to provide you with instructions for adding a sleeve for their show. I'd ask the show coordinator.