Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Rotary Blades

Power Poster
    Have one in my rotary and it has cut alot of fabric plus batting and it still works good. Very pleased, plus save a lot of money.

Blog Entries
    I didn't realize they sold blades, Im going to have to check this out

The first package I used were wonderful, but the second package skipped and I had to press real hard. Don't think I will buy them again. Have to use up the remaining packages I bought. I even tried sharpening them with my rotary cutter sharpener and couldn't get them sharp or evened out.

Jim
    I bought 6 packages....gave a few away and have had terrific luck with them...they are a tad thicker and the cut is farther up on the blade ...to me they work great...and have for the ones that I've given away as well. I think they are sharpen than the Olfa blades I've had...I will continue to use them and promote them..gotta save where ya can..sorry about your luck if yours isn't working well...BUT I'd rather throw away a blade that was about a buck than one that was defective that cost me 6 or 8 bucks.

No problem here. Mine are great so far.

Blog Entries
    No problem with using the HF blades, in fact, they seem sharper to me.

It seems the consensus (sp?) is; HF has rotary blades that work great. I'm on my way tomorrow to get some. Thanks for this subject.

Blog Entries
    I would like to find out. I ordered several packs of blades 3 months ago and do not have them yet. Back order is one thing, but 3 months is past ridiculous. There is no store in town so I have to order them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have been using them and I have had no problems. Mine cut the fabric like as if it was butter.
    Same here. I love mine and have made the same comment. Cuts like going through butter. Well worth the price.

No problem with H.F. blades...My son goes to HF and always picks up a few for me. Love the price..!

Quote Originally Posted by swanrd
    I bought mine and put them where I knew where they would be and now I can't find them to try LOL
    I do that all the time.
    I have used two of them so far and had not problems.
    Even if one has a nick it is still a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepecanlady
    Can you tell me how to find them on the HF website? When I put in "blade" as a search, it comes up with everything but 45mm blades. I would like to order some. Thanks!
    try putting in carpet cutter blades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie
    What do you think of them. They don't seem that sharp to me?Right from the "get go" I had to press harder than usual and many times I have to go over and over to get fabric completely cut. Am I the only who has had trouble?
    Did you accidentally put BOTH blades from the package in your cutter? That would cause it to do what you described. I havent' had any problems with mine, and they last much longer than other blades.

Without reading through all the posts, as this is a repeat question many times over, I have had no problems. Mine cut as well as teh Olfa blades I used to buy from JA's. Be sure you do not have two blades on together. Sometimes the oil makes them stick together. Carefully take tehm apart if you do. I use a paper towel folded up and grab each side and pull opposite from each other. Also, take it off and put it on with the inside facing out. Could make a difference. Otherwise, do a SEARCH at the top of the ribbon(page) and type in 'Harbor Freight Blades'. Lots of tidbits on those threads.

I have the TruCut sharpener and like it! Sharpened my old rotary blades and was able to use about 80% of them. It won't take out nicks, so those blades got tossed. Don't press down while the blade is in the sharpener - the sharpening is taking place on the sides of the blades, just like a knife sharpener. Bought 25 packs of blades from Harbor Freight and gave 3 packs to each of my small quilt group members at Christmas - they love them and have had no problems.

Elaine,
    Where do you get them?
    Robert

I purchsed Harbor Freight blades and when I first put them in my rotary cutter had the same problem with raggy edges. However, upon reading the instructions, the blades came 2 together in the same package. When separated, they worked beautifully.

MRH, Saylorsburg, PA

The first time I tried to find them at HF I could not find them..and the clerk said they did not carry 45 blades..Then I found out they are called carpet blades..went back and bought 10 packages..on sale for $1.49 and had a 20%off besides..they have worked great for me..finished cutting a bag full of flannel besides a few quilts..with one blade..think I may change it soon..

Thank you so much.
    Gonna order some right now.
    R

Blog Entries
    so glad you mentioned that they were called carpet blades, they have a Harbor Frieght in Las Vegas which we'll be there April 14th first place Im going too have to give the blades a try

Blog Entries
    What do you think of them. They don't seem that sharp to me?Right from the "get go" I had to press harder than usual and many times I have to go over and over to get fabric completely cut. Am I the only who has had trouble?
    That happened to me with new regular blades...took the thing apart to see what could be wrong and I had TWO blades with all kinds of lint in between the two! Took one out, cleaned out the lint and everything is working fine.

I have to say that the consistency of MOST of Harbor FREIGHT TOOLS is far from Stellar. They are cheaply made tools that are offered at a fraction of the price for good reason. I honestly wouldn't buy their blades at all. I only buy blades at JoAnns using my 50% of coupon or stock up on them when their 50% sale is. Also, I must say that there are so very good sharpeners out there that allow you to get maximum use out of your blades. I have 3 types and have found one to be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by granky
    That happened to me with new regular blades...took the thing apart to see what could be wrong and I had TWO blades with all kinds of lint in between the two! Took one out, cleaned out the lint and everything is working fine.
    This is funny. I also have experienced this early on with my use of the rotary. They oil them so nicely, they love to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    I have to say that the consistency of MOST of Harbor FREIGHT TOOLS is far from Stellar. They are cheaply made tools that are offered at a fraction of the price for good reason. I honestly wouldn't buy their blades at all. I only buy blades at JoAnns using my 50% of coupon or stock up on them when their 50% sale is. Also, I must say that there are so very good sharpeners out there that allow you to get maximum use out of your blades. I have 3 types and have found one to be superior.
    which one is superior..

Kathy, I couldn't find the brand on it. The bottom reads: www.usasharpeners.com and it says Patent Pending. I bought it about 5 years ago. I like that is has a backup sharpener that is stored on the bottom and it sharpens both 45mm and 60mm blades. You simply put the sharpening stone that is on the end of the small handle in different holes to accommodate different sized blades. It works beautifully.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast