Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Rotary Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Thepecanlady
    Can you tell me how to find them on the HF website? When I put in "blade" as a search, it comes up with everything but 45mm blades. I would like to order some. Thanks!

Here's the link at their website. Currently they are on sale.
    You need to use the terminology of "replacement blades"
    and are blades to be used in carpet cutters.

They do not know our sewing term of 45mm blades. We need to keep our discovery secret so the price remains low, although some of the clerks are on to us quilters. The one young gentleman said he's been having a lot of older ladies coming in for them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html

Hope this helps. Be careful when handling as they are very sharp.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    Just opened another pack and they are the same. Really not good at all for me. I guess I'll have to stick with Olfa. They are $29 for 10 at Overstock. That's only twice the price.

Maybe it is the cutter. I was told that you should buy replacement blades that are the same brand as the cutter. Has something to do with the cutout in the center "hole". I bought a few off brand cutters that were really cheap on clearance. Didn't like the feel of the cutter so took the blades and put them in my olfa. They didn't cut very well(they worked fine in the off brand ones). Have tried the HF ones and they cut like butter (as a few above have said).

The ones I've used (use) have been extremely sharp and last just as long as brand name ones. I think they are great!

The only problem I have with the Harbor Freight Rotary Blades is that they are always out of them when I go in to buy them.

Blog Entries
    I've been using Harbor Freight blades for several months now.. I have had no problem with them. Could you possibly have both blades in the cutter? There are supposed to be two in a package, did you get both in there together? I did that once and my cutter was cutting awful!!

It could also be that you just got a package that was not as good as usual.. I haven't had that problem either, but I suppose it could happen.

I say just try another blade, they are a great price!

Junior Member Kathi Kraftyzales's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow! $1.79 for two blades. Worth a try. Was just there last week buying a magnetized metal bowl to keep my pins. I also use it to pick up any stray pins. Very strong magnet.....Will have to buy blades next time.
    I use a blade sharpener and it really works. Bought it at the 50% off sale at Hancock Fabrics. "Colonial Dual Rotary Blade Sharpener 45mm" Love it.

Mine work great. No problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have been using them and I have had no problems. Mine cut the fabric like as if it was butter.
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by aggie
    What do you think of them. They don't seem that sharp to me?Right from the "get go" I had to press harder than usual and many times I have to go over and over to get fabric completely cut. Am I the only who has had trouble?
    I bought a couple pkg. a few months back. Haven't tried them yet, but I think the words out to quilters. Last week, I went to HF they were sold out! :thumbdown:

Hi, I did not have a problem with them being sharp but I have a different problem. Every time I make a cut I have to tighten the nut on my cutter............I am not sure if the blades are thinner or thicker than the regular ones. I am using an olfa 45% cutter. Any one else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have been using them and I have had no problems. Mine cut the fabric like as if it was butter.
    ditto

Have had no problems with mine. Cut easily and well.

Harbor Freight - - Item #97642. (you can order online $10 min) 2 blades to a package.

Here is the item number I gleened from a previous discussion on these blades here on the board.

Marysewfun

JAK
    I just went to the web site for Harbor Freight. Good news is they are on sale 2 for $1.79. Bad news is shipping is $6.99. Hummmm

Also, I bought the "True Cut Rotary Blade Shzarpener" at Joann's (50% off coupon) - haven't used it yet - anyone else have one? - how do you like it? Thanks.
    Marysewfun

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    I just went to the web site for Harbor Freight. Good news is they are on sale 2 for $1.79. Bad news is shipping is $6.99. Hummmm
    There is also a $10 min purchase - so that might help to level out the cost a bit. :D
    Marysewfun

I have been using them and I notice that they skip ALOT, and they don't seem to be as sharp either, but I bought several packs, so I am going to use them up and never buy them again.

I have had no problem with mine either.......maybe it was a defective one.....maybe try another pkg to see if you still have a problem.

I just purchased 20 of them and am very happy with the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Marysewfun
    Harbor Freight - - Item #97642. (you can order online $10 min) 2 blades to a package.

Here is the item number I gleened from a previous discussion on these blades here on the board.

Marysewfun
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

i started out with only one package and never bought any more. they skipped from the start. i do much better on ebay even when it's a no-name blade and with shipping.

i bid for a package of 100 blades in a plain ziploc bag for $140.00 + $12.00 shipping. they came separated by small squares of oiled paper. satisfaction guaranteed.
    i love them. they are truly sharp. i know that's a lot to lay out at one time, but i end up spending more in the long run otherwise.

so they ended up costing about $1.50 each. i'm satisfied with the price and definitely with the quality. i always check first with ebay.

I never had a problem with the blades and when I had a problem with a regular blade, it was because I had two blades in the cutter.

Blog Entries
    I've bought them and they have been very good. Even if one would be bad it's only $.90 compared to the Olaf price. Which I've gotten bad ones.

I have had no problems with them. Mine were very sharp actually cut my finger.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast