Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Rotary Blades

I love them they seem sharper to me. I am so glad to find them as I don't feel bad about changing blades when I need to. They work great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    I agree, I don't think they are quite as sharp. Or at least they don't last as long. I have a big supply, so I'm not going to worry how often I have to change them.
    Same here, definitely not as sharp and doesnt last as long. I change it with each project.

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterGary
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryF
    Make sure you have put only one blade in your cutter, I have had students have problems with their cutter and found out that they had not slid the two blades apart and had two in the rotary cutter. Just a thought. Sherry
    I did that just last night. I thought I had real problems but I looked and found I had put in both blades. Works so much better with one blade. This is my first HF blade and was wondering how they would last. How often do you change your reg blades?
    Confession time. I did that last week. Didn't clean the oil off either. Just put it (them) in a started cutting. How do you clean them without cutting yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have been using them and I have had no problems. Mine cut the fabric like as if it was butter.
    ditto

Blog Entries
    Do you happen to have the item number. We have looked but haven't been able to find them? Thanks

I haven't been careful at all about what I have cut with these blades, they are still sharp and no skips and its the first blade I bought and put in months ago. I have cut many feed sacks with them and they are like the little pink bunnie or a timex watch, keep right on ticking. They have been very good for me, in fact a lot better than the Quilt shop blades. I put them in and before the day is out they are skipping and dull. So yes I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY with them. Can you tell lol..

I have had no problem with them and also have quit a stack so they will last a long time. If one package isn't as good as the ones I used so far, it is OK as they are a lot cheaper.
    You just got a bad package and that can happen with anything.

I got some the other month when I read abou how good they were but the ones I have bought were terrible and I threw them away. I had to press so hard for them to cut that they ruined my mat.. I must have gotten a bad batch too. Will not spend my money on them again.

No problems for me.

DJ
    Sounds like a quality control issue. I think I've only opened one of my packages so far and had skipping problems. I'll go ahead and try more, but I was disappointed.

I love them and haven't had any problems with them. For the price they can't be beat! I have a Harbor Freight just 3 miles from my house and they always have a good supply.

I need to go check them out! I hate buying them as so expensive.

My husband and I went to Harbor Freight and he did not think they would work on my Olfa cutter. What cutter have you been using?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by koko
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have been using them and I have had no problems. Mine cut the fabric like as if it was butter.
    Same here. Two come in a package and both have been very sharp.
    make sure you only get one blade in cutter,with all the oil they do stick together. I have no problems with them :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    [quote=celwood]My husband and I went to Harbor Freight and he did not think they would work on my Olfa cutter. What cutter have you been using?[/quot

I am useing olfa and dritz

They work for me. I use my rotary blade sharpener on all my blades to sharpen them and get more use out of them...I don't see a difference.
    D in TX

I love mine and they are extremely sharp. I haven't noticed that they dull faster than the name brands, but even if they do at the cost it's well worth it.

Harbor Freight has cutting blades that fit our rotary cutters??? My husband goes there all the time....I didn't know they might have something I would be interested in....so they are worth buying?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    They work for me. I use my rotary blade sharpener on all my blades to sharpen them and get more use out of them...I don't see a difference.
    D in TX
    What kinda sharpener do you have.?

I bought some months ago but haven't used them yet. I hope I don't have any problems.

No problems with mine. I used a canning lid maget picker upper thingamajig to separate the 2 blades in the pack. Much easier to change that way. And safer as I didn't have to touch the blade at all.

I don't care for there blades at all as I to notice that they don't last as long. If you notice some of them seem to be thicker metal and not so sharp.

I too have had no problems. Are you sure you only put ONE blade in your cutter. They stick together and it could be that you put two blades in at the same time and that is causing your problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie
    What do you think of them. They don't seem that sharp to me?Right from the "get go" I had to press harder than usual and many times I have to go over and over to get fabric completely cut. Am I the only who has had trouble?
    I love mine they cut just a sharp as can be, and I bought 20 packages and so far have not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by grammy17
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterGary
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryF
    Make sure you have put only one blade in your cutter, I have had students have problems with their cutter and found out that they had not slid the two blades apart and had two in the rotary cutter. Just a thought. Sherry
    I did that just last night. I thought I had real problems but I looked and found I had put in both blades. Works so much better with one blade. This is my first HF blade and was wondering how they would last. How often do you change your reg blades?
    Confession time. I did that last week. Didn't clean the oil off either. Just put it (them) in a started cutting. How do you clean them without cutting yourself?

How do you clean them without cutting yourself?

VERY CAREFULLY !!!!

I took just one out of the package and slid it into a small washcloth. Then added just a small drop of liquid soap and rinsed with running water. I then dropped the blade onto a terry cloth dish cloth laying on the counter. I carefully dried the blade with the edge of another disch cloth. After cleaning the rotary cutter holder, I picked up the blade very gently and replaced in the cutter.

I have a small plastic container that i'm keeping the new blades and also the old used blades. I have a blade sharpener so using it extends the life of a rotary blade. Since learning of the HF blades and their prices I've been using new blades lately. I'm being thrifty by keeping the old ones. If needed I can sharpen the older blades with the sharpener for use until being able to get back to HF.

Also the blades at HF are often sold out quickly. Don't be shy in asking when their next shipment will arrive. They may also be willing to put a hold on a quantity for you and give you a call when they arrive at the store if you ask.

Pam M

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast