Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anybody enlarged a finished quilt?

Blog Entries
    I enlarged a quilt for a friend.

I just added a border (just sewed
    it to the quilt) and then quilted
    by machine.

J J

Blog Entries
    I have enlarged a small quilt. I added backing, batting and borders to a crib quilt. I made the batting about 1/2 inch smaller than the backing and border material. Then sewed it onto each side of my quilt, just like you would on a "quilt as you go" project. Then to complete my border pattern (because the quilt had already been quilted) I just sewed straight lines about 3/4 inches apart up and down the new border section. Then added my binding and it looked great.

Blog Entries
    I am planning on enlarging my daughter's quilt within the next week or so-plan on going with quilt as you go and make 16' wide pieces dwon the side and 10' across the top-will be frech seaming it together but on the top not the back as I can work it into the motif I am doing-good luck with yours. Georgia Bonesteel is famous for quilt as you go -try looking her up on PBS.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jan
    I'm wondering if its possible to enlarge a quilt by adding another border, after the quilt is finished. I have a lap quilt that measures 36x42 and its just not big enough to suit me. I have been wondering if it might be possible to add a border or two (using Warm & Natural) if I'm careful and get it butted good and tight. Has anyone done this or any other method? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. Jan
    If you remove the binding you should be able to easily butt the batting up against it after the new border has been added. I do this all the time on my long-arm, and it works on FMQ also.

Here's one I just made bigger

Quit before
    Name:  Attachment-273007.jpe
Views: 161
Size:  68.4 KB

Quilt with extra borders
    Name:  Attachment-273008.jpe
Views: 167
Size:  45.0 KB

Blog Entries
    A customer bought four hand quilted lap sized quilts then asked that they be made into one quilt. I did not take off the bindings. I used strong hand quilting thread and the ladder stitch and put it together like a potholder quilt.

Meeting of the mitered centers.
    Name:  Attachment-273032.jpe
Views: 55
Size:  83.9 KB

Edge- front and back no stitching shows
    Name:  Attachment-273033.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  73.6 KB

You also made it more beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts

Blog Entries
    I have done this three times. It is a real pain but it can be done and you'd never know it. The first one was a quilt I had made for my son and he got a larger bed, the other two were twin size and when I got the newer thicker mattresses they barely covered them.
    What I did was take the binding off, make the addition top, batting and backing. I did each side and then the ends. I first put the backing on, then butted the batting and whipped stitched it,(I laid the new batt on top of the old and cut it so it met perfectly) and then added the top fabric.(I moved it up a half inch or so, so I wasn't sewing in the previous seam) They look fine but I swear it would have been easier to make new quilts. The twin that I made into queen size actually looked better. I had several borders on it but they were thin and the old entire quilt fit the top of a queen size bed then I added the new borders and they were wider and framed the original. I had a little problem finding fabric that looked like it belonged since it was all in dark green and cream .Every year it seems the basic colors have a tint that is just a smidge off of the previous season and this quilt was 8 years when I reworked it. He loved it and still does so it was worth it. If you just have to make it longer, it will be so much easier. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    my daughter wanted me to make her queen bigger i hd made her a few years ago. She is getting a king. My answer to her was get a plain white bedspread and use the queen quilt as a topper. I will even buy the bedspread. I knowwwww, I am lazy, but I am not ripping out a binding and rebind.Nope not me. LOL All the methods sound good though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jan
    I'm wondering if its possible to enlarge a quilt by adding another border, after the quilt is finished. I have a lap quilt that measures 36x42 and its just not big enough to suit me. I have been wondering if it might be possible to add a border or two (using Warm & Natural) if I'm careful and get it butted good and tight. Has anyone done this or any other method? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. Jan
    Are you taking the binding off? I have a lap size too that I want to enlarge but I keep thinking about how long it will take to remove the binding first in order to add extra borders to enlarge it. It is a "quilt as you go" using four inch strips of fabric (kind of like a large log cabin square). It's a very pretty floral print quilt - just wish it was larger.

Actually, after reading some of these threads, looks like you can either use your ripper to remove binding or just cut it off as someone suggested. That would be much easier.

Blog Entries
    A few years ago I made a lap quilt for a friend, using standard dimensions. However, she is quite tall and wanted to use it on her single bed as a topper. So, I removed all the binding, the top and bottom borders (including the quilting). Created piano keys borders which I attached to the top and bottom only (luckily still had the leftovers), attached more backing, inserted additional batting and the original borders and finished it off as usual. A real bonus for her was that I made new binding and atttached it much more nicely than I had originally.

WOW, Its gorgeous! I would never have guessed! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by applique
    A customer bought four hand quilted lap sized quilts then asked that they be made into one quilt. I did not take off the bindings. I used strong hand quilting thread and the ladder stitch and put it together like a potholder quilt.
    You gals are amazing! I am so glad I asked!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbZ
    my daughter wanted me to make her queen bigger i hd made her a few years ago. She is getting a king. My answer to her was get a plain white bedspread and use the queen quilt as a topper. I will even buy the bedspread. I knowwwww, I am lazy, but I am not ripping out a binding and rebind.Nope not me. LOL All the methods sound good though.
    After having done it several times, I do not think you are lazy but really smart, your solution will definitely be the one I recommend the next time enlarging a quilt is mentioned.

Blog Entries
    The quilt as you go (QAYG) method will work, but will look best if you have some similar lines in the original quilt. For example, if you have a small inner border or sashing, adding a QAYG "bridge" or connector strip will look ok. I did this a while back and the inner border was 2" finished. It really looked too big, compared to the QAYG "bridge" so I simply added two rows of quilting to that border, making it look like it was three smaller strips. Unless they looked closely, no one noticed that I did this. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne9of12
    The quilt as you go (QAYG) method will work, but will look best if you have some similar lines in the original quilt. For example, if you have a small inner border or sashing, adding a QAYG "bridge" or connector strip will look ok. I did this a while back and the inner border was 2" finished. It really looked too big, compared to the QAYG "bridge" so I simply added two rows of quilting to that border, making it look like it was three smaller strips. Unless they looked closely, no one noticed that I did this. Good Luck!
    I love old fashioned cross hatch quilting, so that should be a piece of cake to carry over from the main quilt to a new border. I do not do LA and either machine quilt on my Brother or hand quilt. I love vintage patterns and most of the pieced ones lend themselves to cross hatch or channel quilting. My appliqued quilts usually get SITD around the blocks then echo quilting around the applique.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL in FL
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbZ
    After having done it several times, I do not think you are lazy but really smart, your solution will definitely be the one I recommend the next time enlarging a quilt is mentioned.
    Thanks for the response. I needed to hear it from someone other than me. Now I can let go of my guilt feeling. :lol:

ns
    I added a border after my quilt was quilted. I removed the binding and added a 10" border by using three layers backing, batting and border piece to the quilt. then I did a diamond design in the new border. On a quilt I did for my sister I added 10" and then did lines an inch apart in the new border, My sister thought it looked great. It sounds hard, but it isn't. Just takes time.

Blog Entries
    I think it is entirely possible but I would remove the binding first then make the quilt sandwich of the border quilt it then add to original. Just my take on this idea! :-D

Blog Entries
    Sorry double post!!!!

I'm actually just finishing up a quilt that I'm enlarging. I added four 9" borders so it fits the bed better. I did the quilt as you go method and I'm just finishing the hand sewing on the binding. I could take a pic if you want.
    I agree I have joined borders on using the quilt as you go method. I works out a great way to do it.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by quilterbabe View Post
    I took a wall hanging that no longer fit in the room's decor and enlarged it into a lap quilt for Hospice. I saw a video by Sharon Pedersen on THE QUILT SHOW. She sewed the "new back" and the "new front" onto the existing quilt (right sides together back to back, front to front). Then in the existing seam allowance she added the "new batting" by doing a serpentine stitch WITHIN the seam allowance - don't go too wide and go into your new seam. I've done it, it's easy, and it works well. Then, you can quilt your added portion, trim it, and bind. I oversized my added portions so I could trim them evenly afterwards for binding.
    Thank you so much for that information. It was exactly what I needed to enlarge my grand-daughter's baby quilt to a single bed size quilt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2