Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anybody used linen? >

Has anybody used linen?

Has anybody used linen?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM

So I was in the local JoAnn's and I can't resist a sale. I purchased the end of the bolt (6 yards) of a beautiful pistachio floral embroidered linen. It really was a great sale - $14.99 a yard, red tag clearance for $7 a yard, plus I had some special coupon for another 25% off.

So what should I do with it? The laundering instructions says to handwash separately and lay flat to dry, so would I want to use it in a quilt, or pillowcases, or curtains? I really don't sew clothing anymore.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:16 AM

You can use it anywhere you want as long as you consider the fabric qualities and potential problem areas...for example, if the product you make needs to be washed, how will the fabric react? In this case, I'd try washing a sample to see the result. Curtains and pillow covers usually need washing less than quilts and pillowcases. Regarding the instructions to handwash and lay flat to dry - I've had many fabrics that say that but in fact wash up nicely...but that's why you need to try a sample..and even try drying it if you normally use a dryer.

Also, most linen's require a larger seam allowance because they fray. Is there a way to take advantage of the fraying...like on a chenille item?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

when i bought a large piece of linen i fell in love with i ignored the instructions and threw it in the washer and the dryer, then found it came out just fine but needed serious ironing. once that was done (with lots of steam) the linen was great to work with and it wears like steel. a very strong fabric. i also ignore dry-cleaning instruction...if i want to quilt with it i throw it in the washer and the dryer, if it doesnt' come out ok i wont use it...but that has not happened...i have thrown wools in the wash(i ALWAYS wash my wools and silks) just like i would cottons, makes no difference. if you are afraid to wash a fabric you are planning to use i would think you would be stuck with wallhangings. i don't make wallhangings, so i wash it all just like any piece of bedding would be laundered.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 AM

I was given an Irish linen bedspread long ago, and it said Dry-clean. Well, It didn't get used on any bed because I had 4 kids, couldn't afford to dry clean bedding! after it being in the basement for years, and I was going to throw it out, I decided to wash and dry and use it for a picnic spread. It did great. Before washing it was on the crisp side, and after washing it was really softer. It shrunk some, so I would definitly wash and dry it first. And you just gave me a great idea for a summer spread!!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 AM

I use linen for my silk ribbon embroidery but wash it first and line dry.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM

I know I follow a blog where the lady regularly used linen in quilts but I can't find it right now.

But I did find this:
http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2009/04/linen.html
Old 10-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks everybody for all the great advice! I never would have thought about using a larger seam allowance to account for fraying.

-Laurie Jane
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM

I love linen wear it alot and have washed it just as I wash my other stuff warm h2o dry on normal and have never had anything go wrong just gets softer and better and less and less wrinkles as time goes buy. so in a quilt it will be wonderfull
Originally Posted by LaurieJane
So I was in the local JoAnn's and I can't resist a sale. I purchased the end of the bolt (6 yards) of a beautiful pistachio floral embroidered linen. It really was a great sale - $14.99 a yard, red tag clearance for $7 a yard, plus I had some special coupon for another 25% off.

So what should I do with it? The laundering instructions says to handwash separately and lay flat to dry, so would I want to use it in a quilt, or pillowcases, or curtains? I really don't sew clothing anymore.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!