Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

I plan on going this year but someone told me that I can see the same fabric online and close up better than being at the show. Any comments?

I've been twice and would love to go again and again. You must see the quilts "in person". Pictures would not be even close to the beauty and detail you will be able to see. So go and enjoy, and be sure to get strawberry shortcake from the Boy Scouts! :D

No but I want to so bad I can taste it,but thats our busy season so I wont get to go.[whaaaaaaaaaaaaa]

Somebody gave you a bum steer! It's a trip every quilter should make at least once, IMHO. The show, the museum, the town, shopping, all of it is great!

A friend and I went in 2005, and are hoping to go again next year. Absolutely great show with tons of vendors and lots to do and see all over the city - shopping at Hancocks of Paducah - yes! Unless you are witin driving distace daily, you need to make reservations WAAAY early in the year or you'll end up driving a long way to your hotel and back each day! I'd love to go again.

Blog Entries
    I hope I get to go. Have never been! : )

Do I need to spend the night there in order to see everything?

Someday I'll get there. Sounds like great fun.

I want to go so badly but have no one to go with this year... besides the fact that the hotels are actually already booked... If you don't book over the summer, you aren't going to get a room!

I wanted to go last year with a friend of mine but long story short, we ended up canceling and not getting to go :(

you need to spend 3-4 days. I did twice and love every minute of it. Its a Quilters Dream Go go go go

Banned
    Try hotels over in Indiana across the river from Paducah. They often have rooms and not that far.

I went with my daughter. We went on a riverboat cruise and there was a stop in Paducah for the quilt show. What an experience!!!!!!!! Don't miss it. It was incredible, and we also went to the Quilt Museum and a show with Ricky Tims which was awesome. After the show we went to the quilt museum and was introduced to him. What a nite!!!!!!Don't miss it.

Not able to go to Kentucky, but I'm planning a 4-day trip to the Lancaster show....How much different than Paducah is it?

I have gone twice and loved it... Be sure to wear good walking shoes.. LOL!! Yes get the strawberry shortcake get the works !!That is cake, strawberries and ice cream and whip cream!!! It is sooooo goood.!!
    The fabric and the new gadgets are so neat to see in person.. and of course the quilts are so BEAUTIFUL!!
    Go and enjoy yourself...
    Hugs
    QuiltinMama

This is on my Bucket List... :-D

Better check your map. Paducah is not south of Indiana.
    Illinois is over the bridge. Try Metropolis, Ill. for accommodations.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Try hotels over in Indiana across the river from Paducah. They often have rooms and not that far.

Try some of the state parks in the area. That's where I stay. And yes, it's wonderful to go to!

One of my coworkers went to Paducah for the quilt show and said it was wonderful! I have never been but would love to go! I hope to go to the quilt show in Central Florida this month - they have it every two years and it is usually pretty nice. I understand at Paducah there is so much to see and do - sounds like a dream all right!

Blog Entries
    I go every year. I love it. The quilt show, Eleanor Burns Tent show and sale barn, Her QIAD downtown store, Hancocks of Paducah, Carol Beyer Fallert's Studio, the bargain quilt book store, all the vendors downtown and the mall, it's nothing but everything quilting all over the town. There are free buses to take you from one thing to the other all day long. It's about a 5 hour drive for me. I park in Hancock's parking lot and then ride the bus to all over. You can't have time to enjoy it in one day. I devote one day to the quilt show and vendors there, one day to Hancocks, Eleanor Burns, and the mall vendors, and downtown. The last day I usually revisit the quilt show, and if there are new exhibits at Quilt museum I go see that, I usually go back to Hancocks to buy what I didn't buy the first day. I go alone I don't want any one to complain if I go back to the same vendor booth four times and I don't want ask what do you want to do now? Or hear I'm hungry, tired, back hurts, feet hurt. It's all my time. I don't make reservations until a few weeks before the show and make it for a motel about 30 miles away either
    South or East of Paducah in one of the smaller towns. Since I'm driving that's not a big deal. I love being around thousands of quilters from all over the world out shopping and chatting. Everyone is so friendly. Quilters give the city of Paducah's their budget for the year so the town is happy we are there. Unlike Houston you aren't confined to one building, you get to be immersed in quilting all over the town.

I live about 30 minutes from Paducah, so if anyone needs a motel, let me know and I can check around my area. I live in MArshall Co. which is right beside McCracken Co (paducah)

I hope to make that my birthday gift to myself this year. Since I leave in Illinois, makes it more doable hopefully.

It takes more than 2or 3 days to see and do it all - In addition to the fabric shops and quilt displays (even at the local mall)- Fashion Show is good, locals put on evening play as excellent entertainment; churches provide lunch and tatting demonstration; very nice eating places (some require reservations in advance) downtown
    If you don't have a friend to go with, check for bus trips. Call Chamber of Commerce for brochures of activities. I love this show more than Houston! Going again this year.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerudy
    Not able to go to Kentucky, but I'm planning a 4-day trip to the Lancaster show....How much different than Paducah is it?
    When is the show in Lancaster, and where. Its about a 4/5 hour drive from me and I used to go to Lancaster 2x's a year but not for the quilt show. I would like any info you can tell me.
    Thanks

I lived in Paducah for 11 years and worked at Hancock's during the quilt show. The "population" of Paducah doubles during the quilt show.

You'll really enjoy it but usually have to have loding reservations months in advance. Some ladies I talked to while working had to get a motel in Chattanooga because they waited to long.

You'll enjoy it. One thing you really should see is the painting on the wall by the river, it's amazing. Also, you have to eat at Patty's restaurant in Grand Rivers, it's just down the road from Paducah. And another, you have to visit English's booth. They are some of the nicest machine dealers I know. I've lived in Ga. for the past seven years but still buy my machines from them. They're wonderful.

You could always try the b&b across the river from Paducah in Metropolis, Il. Also visit some of the antique shops in Paducah. I loved it there.

I wouldn't recommend it! You'll get hooked and go back year after year. We've been going over 10 years and can't wait to go back. Now this year the big show is coming to Cincinnatti earlier in April. That's only an hour away so of course we have to go there too. If I'd stay home once in awhile, I could get something done. Oh, well, quilting keeps me out of the bars and off the streets. Not a bad habit to have, huh?

I have been to the Paducah show 7 times and my DD goes every year, I think this will be her 14th or so. I took some classes and she does every year, can't get enough of quilting and so much inspiration as well as meeting all those women from around the world. The citizens of Paducah go all out to make you welcome, free bus service and some times the citizens will see you standing on a corner waiting for the bus and will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go. Make reservations a year ahead if you decide to go, we stayed in Metropolis several times and drove in, parked at Hancocks and rode the bus the whole time we were there. It is an experience you should have once in your life. Save up and go with a tour or with a friend you won't be sorry.

Carol J.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast