Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show? >

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 AM

It takes more than 2or 3 days to see and do it all - In addition to the fabric shops and quilt displays (even at the local mall)- Fashion Show is good, locals put on evening play as excellent entertainment; churches provide lunch and tatting demonstration; very nice eating places (some require reservations in advance) downtown
If you don't have a friend to go with, check for bus trips. Call Chamber of Commerce for brochures of activities. I love this show more than Houston! Going again this year.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by Jerudy
Not able to go to Kentucky, but I'm planning a 4-day trip to the Lancaster show....How much different than Paducah is it?
When is the show in Lancaster, and where. Its about a 4/5 hour drive from me and I used to go to Lancaster 2x's a year but not for the quilt show. I would like any info you can tell me.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 AM

I lived in Paducah for 11 years and worked at Hancock's during the quilt show. The "population" of Paducah doubles during the quilt show.

You'll really enjoy it but usually have to have loding reservations months in advance. Some ladies I talked to while working had to get a motel in Chattanooga because they waited to long.

You'll enjoy it. One thing you really should see is the painting on the wall by the river, it's amazing. Also, you have to eat at Patty's restaurant in Grand Rivers, it's just down the road from Paducah. And another, you have to visit English's booth. They are some of the nicest machine dealers I know. I've lived in Ga. for the past seven years but still buy my machines from them. They're wonderful.

You could always try the b&b across the river from Paducah in Metropolis, Il. Also visit some of the antique shops in Paducah. I loved it there.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 AM

I wouldn't recommend it! You'll get hooked and go back year after year. We've been going over 10 years and can't wait to go back. Now this year the big show is coming to Cincinnatti earlier in April. That's only an hour away so of course we have to go there too. If I'd stay home once in awhile, I could get something done. Oh, well, quilting keeps me out of the bars and off the streets. Not a bad habit to have, huh?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 AM

I have been to the Paducah show 7 times and my DD goes every year, I think this will be her 14th or so. I took some classes and she does every year, can't get enough of quilting and so much inspiration as well as meeting all those women from around the world. The citizens of Paducah go all out to make you welcome, free bus service and some times the citizens will see you standing on a corner waiting for the bus and will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go. Make reservations a year ahead if you decide to go, we stayed in Metropolis several times and drove in, parked at Hancocks and rode the bus the whole time we were there. It is an experience you should have once in your life. Save up and go with a tour or with a friend you won't be sorry.

Carol J.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Be sure to hit Hancock Fabric warehouse, the earlier the better, its amazing. The show is wonderful and vendors (well lets just say I leave a lot of my mad $$ there) The warehouse gets the rest. grin. Oh yes, do not miss the candy shop that is downtown. They have the best fudge.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 AM

I've not been to the Paducah show but hear it's wonderful. The museum is worth the trip, I've been there but not while the show was on. The Oklahoma City Winter Quilt Show is Jan. 13,14 & 15th. If you're in the area plan time to go, it's a big show. There will be about 150 vendors plus the beautiful quilts. And...it's at the Cox Center downtown, lots to see and do at Bricktown. Make a day of it!!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 AM

We went once - the reason is that we could never find a motel/hotel even 6 months in advance. Maybe with the economy the way it is, there MIGHT be some rooms opening up. If you are even THINKING of going, I would suggest looking for boarding IMMEDIATELY. We had even gone to Metropolis in December several years ago, and they told us that they make sure they have rooms set aside for BUS TRIPS ONLY, which we weren't too happy about! Good luck! If you go, you will really enjoy yourselves. Oh! Don't forget to stop by Eleanor Burns shop not too terrible far away (only blocks) from the quilty places! Have Fun!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jerudy
Not able to go to Kentucky, but I'm planning a 4-day trip to the Lancaster show....How much different than Paducah is it?
The Lancaster show became an AQS show just last year - and a change in venue to downtown Lancaster. I've been going to the show for the last several years and just love it (my hometown is York, PA so I don't have to worry about hotels, etc. - just stay with my sister!!). Anyway, back to the show - I thought it was fabulous - everyone was a little off balance because of the new location - we knew where everything was at the old Host hotel - but the convention center is wonderful. It is a smaller show than Paducah but has all the great things you would except from AQS - plus all the wonderful things that Lancaster city and town have to offer - both quilt and non-quilt fun - and don't forget the food. Please don't hesitate to write to me if you want more info - I could go on . . and on . . . and on . . .!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 AM

Our group has been going for at least seven years now and we stay in Grand Rivers at Lighthouse Landing. Try there. Google the place. However this year we're staying at Turtle Bay which is also in Grand Rivers. It's about 30 miles from Paducah but is an easy drive and doesn't take long at all.

You can also have home stays. Contact AQS is Paducah and they can tell you about that. It used to be about $35/night/person. And the churches have dinners and lunches for very reasonable prices. And, if you have time you must eat dinner at Patti's Settlement one night. The food is delicious and during the quilt show is filled with quilts and quilters.