Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show? >

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Definitely GO!! There were four of us who went one year and stopped at different quilt shops along the way. By the time we came back home our vehicle was full. Had the time of our lives. We are hoping to get back there again. We stayed in Metropolis, IL, wasn't that far of a drive.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 AM

If you are looking for housing while in Paducah, contact the Visitor's Bureau. They will match you up with people who open their house as a B&B for the week. I've done this and stayed with some wonderful folks. You can list preferences like no smoking, no kids or pets, no stairs to climb, etc. It's sort of a Match.com for quilters!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 AM

I've been 3 or 4 times. It's well worth the trip. Once I went just for a day - not long enough to see everything and it's really exhausting to do it that way.
Rooms are hard to come by in Paducah - they're probably gone by now. Check out Mayfield, KY. It's about 20 minutes from Paducah - I got rooms there last year.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 AM

My BFF & I go to the Paducah Quilt Show for 1 day each year. It's a blast! The quilts are all gorgeous, the vendors are numerous, and the food is terrific!! Wear good walking shoes, take lots of money and have the time of your life!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:52 AM

I want to go so bad after reading this thread! Not sure it is in the finances this year though!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 AM

My dear SIL and I go every year. Our motto is "If they demonstrate it well, we'll buy it!" OMG it is the best. I've been to Houston and it is a great show also. I don't think anything can compare with Paducah though. I already have my room. Just keep calling hotels. It is well worth it. Don't be surprised at how much you have to pay for a room. It usually runs us about $180 a night. I know..it's crazy, but we love it that much. Do save your money because there are lots of vendors to buy from. I have found that fabric is cheaper all over town than at the show. I can pay full price for fabric at my LQS. I think every quilter should go at least once. Problem is, once you go you're hooked!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 AM

You can see the show in one really long hard day if you must. I have gone on Saturday a couple of years and typically start with the quilt displays and then start in on the vendors. If I keep going except for a brief stop for lunch, I can see most of the main show. Feet are screaming at the end of the day but it is worth it. But you'll miss the classes, the shows, and the shopping around town which is amazing. Hancocks is definitely worth the stop. They have a back room where they sell fabric at significant discount during the show.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 AM

My sister and I are planning to go this year with my 5th wheel RV. I already have park reservations. The park has shuttle rides into town. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM

ooooohhhhh paducah is a must-go for quilters! you have to go if you have the chance. i've been twice and am going back this april. if you are just now thinking of going you will have a difficult time finding accommodations, but if you are driving and don't mind staying an hour away, you will be okay. we live in illinois, about 3 hours from paducah, so we travel two hours to stay somewhere overnight and go back and forth across the river to the show. i love the vendor booths. you can find some really neat things there. the quilts on display are fabulous, so take your camera! the town really goes all out for quilters. the rotary club also has had a quilt show in the past at the same time. we haven't gotten to it, but plan to do that this year. and visit eleanor burn's shop for sure. have a great time but be prepared to walk a lot!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM

I have been there also and it is just the going and the atmosphere as much as the quilts. I would definitely tell you to go and expierence it. I would also say to go down to the river and see the beautifl painted murals and also the quilt museum. I think it is something to put on your must do list.
Pickle