Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show? >

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM

Been there-done that--got the t-shirt--AND WOULD DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN!
One bit of info I can add is that February is when cancelations must be made at the motels, etc, sooo there ARE usually some accommodations that become available then. I got a list of "approved" lodging sites from the Paducah visitors board (on line) and I just kept calling and chatting with various places and I ended up with a pretty decent place in town and on the shuttle bus route!
One mistake I made was signing up for too many classes--talk about getting worn out!
And don't forget your rain gear :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 AM

WOOT!

Just made a resi for a campground just south by Lake Barkley. We will use the quilt show trip for the de-winterizing of the RV.

It's only a couple of hours from here so we can put some water & chems in the tanks and let them "churn" all the way over then dump.

We will go over Wednesday, do the show Thursday and Friday then come home Saturday.

We do plan a drive over for a day at the Museum before the show.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 AM

I have been going since 2000 with friends. would miss love the strawberry shortcake we have that for late afternoon snack before an evening event/class. I take several classes/lectures and always Ricky's concert. we go on Tuesday and stay until Saturday. Last year went early and took class from Eleanor Burns what a great experience. We book our room when we arrive for the next year.. the earlier in the week you go to Handcock's the better hope you get to go. have fun.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM

By all means, go to Paducah! It will blow your mind--and your wallet with all the fabric available. And be sure to visit Hancock's. I have been several times and am sorry that my impaired mobility prevents my going again with all the walking.
Post your reaction after you return.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Anyone going to the Cincinnti International Quilt show Apr 8-10?? I have a rooms now need to get a good flight!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by baglady65
Anyone going to the Cincinnti International Quilt show Apr 8-10?? I have a rooms now need to get a good flight!
I'm in southern Indiana and our quilt guild is having a bus tour for a one day "there & back" event....it's on the Sat. but don't remember exact date.... :D
Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM

I live very close to Paducah, we moved here so I could meet other quilters and go to the quilt show every year, we bought this huge old house so I could have a B&B for the show week, well long story short ran out of cash so never got it done.
BUT I do go to the show every year, every day of the show, and I know I still have not seen every thing. I spend one day at Hancocks before the show starts, and go to the quilt museum another day and caryls studio, then on Wed when the show opens go to the show every day! When the show is over I go back to Handcocks if I have any cash and am not numb! LOL LOVE the show in Paducah!!! every quilter should go at least once if not more I am so glad to have been able to go and will go every year we live here, then will find a way to come from where ever!!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM

If you have a chance you must go. My sister-in-law from Florida comes up to Kentucky where I live (3 hrs away from, Paduch) and we go down. We went last yr and we are going this yr. They are right about reservations. Everthing is booked up. We waited to late to get reservations anywhere close. but was able to get a place about 30 min drive away. You will enjoy it so much. You get to see some beautiful quilts and alol the vendors have the latest goodies. GO!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:12 PM

I've been to Paducah, Houston, Sisters Oregon and Lancaster PA. All are different and wonderful. Each one is an entirely different experience. When it comes to Paducah (which I think is the most expensive of all), don't count yourself out with the hotels unless you call them yourselves. We got in on one with only 3 months notice however, most of the main hotels near have a minimum stay requirement that was a little excessive. VERY disappointed in Hancocks, sale room had only old stuff and their prices were high for us, we do live within driving distance to Lancaster PA where we can get anything in the $6 range, we are a little spoiled, LOL. Everyone should get to all of them sometime in your life.

Mary in PA
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 PM

I have went to the Paducah Quilt show for years! I love it! Wouldn't want to miss it. I live a bit over 3 hours away and we stay at Magnolia Manor on Ky lake. 3 days of so much fun!