Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done the Boston blocks?

Rhonda wrote:
    What are you gong to name her? (the kitty) Ours is called Alley Cat (named because that was where she was born in Davenport) bt we mostly just call her cat! Like MOVE CAT!! She does know one command OUT! means she has to get up and go in the bathroom where I pen her when I don't want her out in the livingroom. I have a daughter inlaw who is allergic to cats. Alley usually minds but if not I just move the couch or something close to her and she gives in and goes.

My daughter suggested Ginger, so I think that suits her. We already have a cat named BC (Brown Cat, lol)...and he lost his marble.
    Marble was our other, male cat. He had not been fixed like BC, so he roamed. Which I thought he was always sleeping.
    Now BC is lonely, but Ginger will be here in about a week. I got to go visit with her, cause I am going to get her fixed right away, and she is going to have to stay in for a few days.
    Hate to be shut in with a kitty that thinks, you come and take me away, let the martians experiment on me, and then hold me prisoner at the funny farm. :roll:
    What if I was born a cat? no, I will go visit several times this week, and we'll talk, and I'll explain everything to her: The vet is a really kind person, and you won't feel a thing. Then we'll go to my house, where I'll make you nice and comfy and you'll have your own special* bed, and nice food, and get petted a lot.
    When you are better, I'll introduce you to your new hubby, BC. He's a pushover, so you just watch me with my hubby all week, and then you use those tricks on BC. You'll get along famously! :wink:
    (If you have any problems with BC, just snatch a knot in his tail, that's what I do with hubby, and you'll be surprised how fast they come-to.) :lol:

You are so generous!!!

Qc , can;t you just send that good looking masseuse to my house. :lol: :lol:

Feeling better now and made two chickens today, but not as nice as the ones on this board so just posted on blog for cousin to see.She will give me a hard time. She is crazy, like us! :twisted:

I am married to a very quiet man, how that happened I can't imagine. I make up for it though! He tells me all the time I'm not normal. Who wants to be normal? Not me. Sometimes I look over at him and he has this glazed look on his face. Can't imagine why :lol:
    PS. Please teach me how to do that quote thing!

Ninnie

[quote=Ninnie]Qc , can;t you just send that good looking masseuse to my house. :lol: :lol:

Feeling better now and made two chickens today, but not as nice as the ones on this board so just posted on blog for cousin to see.She will give me a hard time. She is crazy, like us! :twisted:

I am married to a very quiet man, how that happened I can't imagine. I make up for it though! He tells me all the time I'm not normal. Who wants to be normal? Not me. Sometimes I look over at him and he has this glazed look on his face. Can't imagine why :lol:
    PS. Please teach me how to do that quote thing!

upper right hand corner of the replier's box...click on the word -quote...and when your reply box comes up, it will have that person's message in it, voila!...this is what you mean, right?
    ...glazed look??? boy, do I get that one, all the time...sometimes, bc he can't hear,...sometimes, he is trying to figure out, what I said....sometimes, he's not sure, it is smart to answer...and SOMETIMES, he has zoned me out on purpose :shock: !
    Is it any wonder I came here looking for birds of a feather, lol? It's funny, how couples are...they rib each other about the differences, but in the end, those differences are what brought them together.
    We are like two old shoes,...not as shiny, but been down the road together, so got same scuff marks. No sense in changing now. :D

I don't know why my words, sometimes come under the blue box, and sometimes, they are in it, with the person's quote, though.

This Boston Block method works and is easy. I am currently making Card Trick Blocks for the Black and White Exchange on this board using this method.
    Connie

i tried them yesterday. i only got a few cut out but I think it'll be a fun new technique. i'll have to try it on a bigger scale though if i want to do a quilt with them.

I saw the tutorials and WOW.
    I do have one questions in the book are the blocks mini or full size? What I am asking is do i have to figure out how big to make it for full size blocks LOL Sorry, trying to aviod frustration. I love the method but dont have the time to figure out size with as little time I have to work on blocks.
    Thank you

Sorry to intrupt the conversation ....Keep going I am enjoying reading. :D

Izy
    I posted pictures of the book mark I had a play at, it's great fun!! I hope to do a few more soon :D

Rhonda's bookmark tutorial
    Name:  Attachment-30152.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  27.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSage
    I saw the tutorials and WOW.
    I do have one questions in the book are the blocks mini or full size? What I am asking is do i have to figure out how big to make it for full size blocks LOL Sorry, trying to aviod frustration. I love the method but dont have the time to figure out size with as little time I have to work on blocks.
    Thank you

Sorry to intrupt the conversation ....Keep going I am enjoying reading. :D
    Montana quilter and MsSage

On page 25 I listed the size templates you would need to make a 12 1/2" or 10 1/2" quilt block. 2 1/2" for the 12 1/2" and 2 1/4" for the 10 1/2".

The book is about showing you how to design your own quilt blocks using the Boston Blocks. how you make the blocks and what size is entirely up to you.

I took a class a couple of years ago and was frustrated because we were expected to cut out each triangle with a template and sew the triangles together. I didn't. I came home and did it my way!

I just wanted to show how you can see "Boston Blocks" in tradional quilt blocks like the Card Trick. Joseph's Ladder is another one I do alot and the Ohio Star is my favorite and I do alot of variations of that one.
    Also how you can get unexpected designs just by turning the "blocks" and changing the color combinations. I have a good time with my EQ5!!

I like to make (and my friend Dorothy makes them for me also) a bunch of them ahead and then I sit down and play with color and placement of the Blocks"

Of course I do a lot of scrappy stuff and we use a lot of differant colors.

Izy, that is beautiful, love the fabrics you used.

Rhonda, got the template Saturday (well, actually got out of mailbox Sunday), thank you, thank you, thank you. Went right in and made a cell phone case for my Mom who is always hitting the wrong button on the side of her phone and putting it on vibrate. Added a handle to it with a snap so she can hook it onto purse, etc. Took pic but forgot to bring camera this morning, will post a pic tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by racnquilter
    Izy, that is beautiful, love the fabrics you used.

Rhonda, got the template Saturday (well, actually got out of mailbox Sunday), thank you, thank you, thank you. Went right in and made a cell phone case for my Mom who is always hitting the wrong button on the side of her phone and putting it on vibrate. Added a handle to it with a snap so she can hook it onto purse, etc. Took pic but forgot to bring camera this morning, will post a pic tomorrow.
    Love to see the picture! I used to add a keychain strap to my billfolds so you could tuck the keychain inside the purse or take it off and use it away from the purse. A lot of those cute add-ons you can do. When I do one someone orders I like to adapt it to their use.
    Glad you liked the cell phone case tutorial. Several people wanted me to do one and as I had never done one I had to sit down and figure out the best way to do it. Lots of variations on the market tho not usually made with fabric.

I sent you an e-mail on your personal mail to say how much quilting has helped my 15yr old autistic granddaughter. She started quilting by hand at the age of 10. Really helped with her behavior and she is really proud of her accomplishments. In your "spare time" some of this might help your grandchildren. I bet they would have plenty of tools to work with. Hope everyone get a break now and then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nana2
    I sent you an e-mail on your personal mail to say how much quilting has helped my 15yr old autistic granddaughter. She started quilting by hand at the age of 10. Really helped with her behavior and she is really proud of her accomplishments. In your "spare time" some of this might help your grandchildren. I bet they would have plenty of tools to work with. Hope everyone get a break now and then.
    I have done some stuff with my grandkids. My grandson who is now 20 made a quilt with me when he was about 10 with a stack of samples of men's suit material. They came from some sample books my mom got at a yard sale. They were wool and synthetic and the resulting quilt was very heavy! But he used it for a long time. I'm sure he stilll has it somewhere.
    My granddaughter his sister Nicci painted me some large squares of broadclothe with some fantasstic designs she came up with at the age of 10 or so. I still have them and have never made them into a quilt but should some day. Maybe I will have to find someone to quilt it for me!!!

My grandson Joey who is now 10 loves to design on my EQ5 and he is quite good! His little sister Rachel 7 loves to play on it too. Joey has asked me to teach him to quilt but he doesn't have much patience so we will see!

I like to start them with a piece of burlap and an embroidery needle and yarn for thread. It gives them a feel for the way the thread goes through the cloth.

I haven't really taken the time to sew with the littler ones but Joey has been making his own graphs on paper and drawing his own designs for a couple of years now.

As for my autistic grandson Zach he also has ADHD and is not good at staying in one place and I don't think he is interested yet. He may some day but his obsessions right now include DVDs and swinging. He is very much into sensations. I did make a top for him with differant textured fabrics but he could care less about it! Oh well!

The twins Daymon and Devon are 5 and Daymon likes to watch me and he shows a lot of artistic signs so he may be my quilter!! Time will tell!

Izy, your bookmark looks sharp! :D

I just bought the e-book Rhonda and I am hoping it will be easier for me. I have been working on the friendship star and boy it is driving me nuts and I said if this is easy I sure hate to get hold of a hard block. I am hoping this book will show me an easier way. Thanks for giving your time and your knowledge into this book. Thanks again. Teresa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tslowery
    I just bought the e-book Rhonda and I am hoping it will be easier for me. I have been working on the friendship star and boy it is driving me nuts and I said if this is easy I sure hate to get hold of a hard block. I am hoping this book will show me an easier way. Thanks for giving your time and your knowledge into this book. Thanks again. Teresa
    Well I hope it is easier for you! How are you piecing the friendship star?
    I make mine with half square triangle squares but I cut them out my way.
    Then you are only sewing a 9 patch together with 4 HSTs and 5 simple squares

If I can help just email me [email protected]

I am including pictures of how I do it.

Pull the leftovers apart and sew the other two sides together and continue to cut out more HSTs
    Name:  Attachment-32554.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  7.4 KB

Cut out squares (HSTs)from the center with a template
    Name:  Attachment-32557.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  8.6 KB

Two strips sewn together
    Name:  Attachment-32572.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  17.0 KB

Blog Entries

Teresa here is how I make my friendship stars. You can see how I use the HSTs and plain blocks. You can make the center block to match the star.

This is how to lay out the HSTs and the plain blocks.
    Name:  Attachment-32573.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  33.4 KB

This is my friendship star
    Name:  Attachment-32581.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  41.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    I posted pictures of the book mark I had a play at, it's great fun!! I hope to do a few more soon :D

Oh Izy, i love your bookmarker! I think i'll make mine like that too :)

MsSage: The resizing isn't that bad. I plan on using this Boston Block method for 12" card tricks. I will be using a 4 1/2" square ruler I have to cut my blocks. Card trick is a 9 patch. Therefore each segment is 4 inches finished to make a 12 inch finished block. I will probably never use anything smaller that a 2 1/2" ruler. I am not into minis. I just recently resized the Carpenter's Star with no y seams down to to a 16" center for a medallion round robing quilt I am involved in. Resizing a block up or down just takes a little time as you look at the divisions in the block and start doing the math. (Don't hate me... I loved math in school. After all I am a retired accountant.) Most come out to nice easy numbers to work with. Block sizes that are divisable by 3 are the easiest for me to work with. I have worked with some nasty numbers.....16ths yuk. So if you see a block you love and want it a different size go for it.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie1948
    MsSage: The resizing isn't that bad. I plan on using this Boston Block method for 12" card tricks. I will be using a 4 1/2" square ruler I have to cut my blocks. Card trick is a 9 patch. Therefore each segment is 4 inches finished to make a 12 inch finished block. I will probably never use anything smaller that a 2 1/2" ruler. I am not into minis. I just recently resized the Carpenter's Star with no y seams down to to a 16" center for a medallion round robing quilt I am involved in. Resizing a block up or down just takes a little time as you look at the divisions in the block and start doing the math. (Don't hate me... I loved math in school. After all I am a retired accountant.) Most come out to nice easy numbers to work with. Block sizes that are divisable by 3 are the easiest for me to work with. I have worked with some nasty numbers.....16ths yuk. So if you see a block you love and want it a different size go for it.
    Connie
    I had someone ask for the 1 1/2" template but called it a ruler. I thought at the time they just confused the two terms but I see you called your 4" a ruler also. Is this a common thing I have just not seen before? I love language and how people use phrases and words differantly. So I am just curious about this use of the word ruler in place of calling it a template.

Rhonda: If they have numbers and lines on them I call them rulers. Templates to me are the shapes such as....drunkard paths, dresden plate, grandmothers flower garden wedding ring, etc. No rule that I know of just one that I use for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie1948
    Rhonda: If they have numbers and lines on them I call them rulers. Templates to me are the shapes such as....drunkard paths, dresden plate, grandmothers flower garden wedding ring, etc. No rule that I know of just one that I use for me.
    Thanks Connie for clearing up my confusion. I didn't want to offend anyone by not getting it right. My template have a grid glued on but no numbers so to me they are templates because I use what they call template plastic for the grid. It is really I suppose a compromise between a ruler and a template. Either one is not accurate and yet either one is ok to use to refer to them. Thanks!

I bought the book and I'm looking forward to putting it to good use. I still have to come up with some filler blocks on Grandsons train quilt. He gave me a few pointers over the weekend. He turns 6 today and he is a mess. Love him to death!! Wish the other 2 were close enough for me to spoil as much as I have this one. So sorry to hear about some of you have death of friends and family. I know how it is. In the last 3 years we have lost 2 (to us kids) girl and her baby in a car wreck, and a young man who was our oldest boys best friend, and his dad from carbon monoxide poisoning. So hard to take and understand. I also have my Mother living with us as she can't be by herself anymore has been 3 years now.
    Good news is we are going to get to see our youngest son the end of next month as he will be in FT.Levenworth for school from May 1 to Aug.1 and we have not seen him in 4 years. Haven't seen his family either but at this point I will take what I can get. Sorry I'm so long.
    Every one have fun with the blocks then we can have show and tell. :D :D

Quilting and quilting friends offer many of us a way to keep our minds and hands busy and offers us the opportunity to share each others joys and sorrows. We can prop each other up and keep on going even though we have different back grounds and have a large span in our ages. Quilting allows us the opportunity to give a part of ourselves to our family, like our grand children and to our friends. The sharing and learning how to create an old pattern with a different technique helps each one of us make it thru another day and perhaps the next day will be easier. We never forget those we love, and in time the sorrow of losing them can be overshadowed in remembering the enjoyment of having had them touch our lives. From my view point as a woman, I find strength to keep on keeping on in thinking of other women whom I see doing the same thing and most of the time under much more difficult circumstances than I have. It is wonderful that interwoven in our exchange of ideas, and the "how to" accomplish certain tasks that we can slow down and say,"Today my heart is sad" and know that others are there to support us in our effort to continue on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nana2
    Quilting and quilting friends offer many of us a way to keep our minds and hands busy and offers us the opportunity to share each others joys and sorrows. We can prop each other up and keep on going even though we have different back grounds and have a large span in our ages. Quilting allows us the opportunity to give a part of ourselves to our family, like our grand children and to our friends. The sharing and learning how to create an old pattern with a different technique helps each one of us make it thru another day and perhaps the next day will be easier. We never forget those we love, and in time the sorrow of losing them can be overshadowed in remembering the enjoyment of having had them touch our lives. From my view point as a woman, I find strength to keep on keeping on in thinking of other women whom I see doing the same thing and most of the time under much more difficult circumstances than I have. It is wonderful that interwoven in our exchange of ideas, and the "how to" accomplish certain tasks that we can slow down and say,"Today my heart is sad" and know that others are there to support us in our effort to continue on.

Very eloquent and very well put!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast