Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done the Boston blocks?

I have really been looking at them. Think I would like to do them as a block of the month. Anyone else.

You will have to buy it and support a member and this board. :lol: :lol:
    I can't wait to have some spare time and try mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by himom122
    I have really been looking at them. Think I would like to do them as a block of the month. Anyone else.
    Just to clear this up. I wrote the EBook and the free tutorial for the Bookmarks are mine. EVerything in the free tutorials is yours to use any way you want. The designs in my Ebook are there for anyone to use in any way you want. The only thing you can not do is buy my book and reproduce the book to resell it or any part of it. That does not mean you can not use it in a Block of the Month I would be thrilled if you did that.

You do not have to buy the book to use the Boston Block. Tho there is a lot of info that shows how to use the block to create your own designs and a lot more in my EBook

You can also see more info on my free site.
    http://bitsnpiecesworkshop.com I would be thrilled if you mentioned where you got it but it is not a requirement of using any of my info.

Thanks for being interested in my methods!!!!

Sorry if I spoke out of turn Rhonda - didn't realise you had a tutorial up and running must have missed it.
    Himomi122 yes it would be good to see what color combinations every one would come up with as a block of the month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewaholic
    Sorry if I spoke out of turn Rhonda - didn't realise you had a tutorial up and running must have missed it.
    Himomi122 yes it would be good to see what color combinations every one would come up with as a block of the month.
    Oh no problem sewaholic I don't consider you spoke out of turn I just saw the post and wanted to clear up any confusion on what is and is not allowed. As far as I am concerned I get frustrated when I find a pattern I like and can't use it because it is for personal use only and I sell my stuff.

So I want people to be able to use my designs and methods however you want but because other people are involved in the EBook venture the copyright of the written material has to be protected.

That means you can use my methods and quilt designs but not reproduce the book. Which makes sense anyway.

My whole reason for sending out the templates and writing the tutorials was and is to get my methods out there for people to use and enjoy the shortcuts. The EBook came up after that. It is an extention of more info for anyone who wants to learn more about using the Bostons

So please feel free to use my stuff! It is what I am working towards to share what I think is a fantastic way to piece. Thanks so much!!

Blog Entries

My tutorials on the Quilted Paradise Newsletter

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/230-jzl.jsp - cell phone case

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/231-uzl.jsp - bookmarks

Can't wait to try your method, looks like fun.

:lol: :lol:
    Good luck on your book...
    I believe I will try it too :lol:

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone!

I hope to try some of the techniques this weekend while working on my doll quilt for the exchange. Planning on 4'' squares, so will need some help with the HSTs. Also want to print it out, but forgot to buy printer paper tonight, ''Duh". Some days the brain just turns off!

Ninnie

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I hope to try some of the techniques this weekend while working on my doll quilt for the exchange. Planning on 4'' squares, so will need some help with the HSTs. Also want to print it out, but forgot to buy printer paper tonight, ''Duh". Some days the brain just turns off!

Ninnie
    I went to purchase book and realized I did not have enough ink in my printer. I talked to admin. and
    he reccommended purchasing soon, bc they are not sure how long they can offer it, as is,...
    so download and save on pc. So that is exactly what I did. I bought my ink, and I am now the proud owner of an E-book called,
    "Playing With Boston Blocks".
    My first project, after playing and practicing, will be a small wall hanging for a friend. I think she might be impressed. She loves vintage decorating, and I think this will fit in quite nicely. I hope I can choose my fabrics well. Will be fun, whatever I come up with! :D

Quiltncrazy,

Double"duh" I just got home from town and forgot to buy paper again. I have it loaded on my computer, but want a copy to carry to my sewing room with me. It's been a rough week, QC, One of Dh's closest friends dropped dead with an heart attack at the age of 58, one year older than DH. So we had to do the whole funeral home and funeral thing, Haven't had time to try Rhonda's technique yet. but want to soon. Hope grand daughter is still doing well, I know you were scared. My how we love those grand babies! :lol: Joined the Black and White block exchange, hope I am ready to make blocks for others. I need a vacation. Calgon, take me away! :lol: :lol:

Ninnie

Quiltncrazy,

Double"duh" I just got home from town and forgot to buy paper again. I have it loaded on my computer, but want a copy to carry to my sewing room with me. It's been a rough week, QC, One of Dh's closest friends dropped dead with an heart attack at the age of 58, one year older than DH. So we had to do the whole funeral home and funeral thing, Haven't had time to try Rhonda's technique yet. but want to soon. Hope grand daughter is still doing well, I know you were scared. My how we love those grand babies! :lol: Joined the Black and White block exchange, hope I am ready to make blocks for others. I need a vacation. Calgon, take me away! :lol: :lol:

Ninnie
    Oh Ninnie, sorry to hear about your hubby's friend. My hubby is 59 also, and it made an impact on him, when Tim Russert (news commentator?), dropped dead at same age. We really never know, do we?
    Grandbaby had an allergic reaction to peanut butter. She has some other allergies, but this was the first, jump and run to er, kind of thing. It was very scary for sure! She is doing fine now.
    I can understand, your needing a vacation. When tragedy strikes, it has a way of opening up all kinds of sad things, that can weigh us down, or just make the everyday stuff, harder till we can work thru the emotional baggage, and get back on track. Hope your friends family is doing ok, or as well as they can. Know this must be hard on your hubby, which of course, makes it hard on you. hugs, ninnie. want me to send you some calgon?...right after I take a soak...I'm getting to a better place with the sewing/quilting, but the everyday stuff...physical maladies...ah, it all takes turns. We need to build a big place full of all kinds of rooms for quilting etc. but also has a spa, where we can get a massage, take a nap,...have a nice snack or meal...just sit and relax and chit chat...what a vacation! and instead of mints on our pillows, when we get back to our rooms...fabrics!!!! let's go...we'll practice the boston blocks with them! What fun, to do all this together. :D :D :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    Quiltncrazy,

Ninnie
    It is so hard when you lose someone close to you. Hope your DH is handling it as ok as possible.
    I lost my dad in 1990 and he is still in my thoughts all the time. We were extremely close. So sending sympathy for you and your DH.
    I am always telling my daughter she needs to let Calgon take her away! When the kids get to screaming -an8yr old autistic son-a 10 yr old adhd son and a 7 yr old daughter who is very!! confrontational! She will stand toe to toe and never! back down.

wow, Rhonda, seems your mom AND your daughter, need you very much! Which makes you have to be the strong one. It does sound like your daughter needs a break here and there. I know that you help her a lot. You must be very resilient! I admire you a lot. Your going to hear this a lot, but thanks AGAIN, for being such a giving person. :D

I thought I would edit that, and add: what I mean, besides a dozen other things, is, I know that with all that you do, with your hubby being disabled, keeping your grandchildren, several of whom, have special needs, helping your widowed mom, helping with your church, making all these items to help your family's budget...this E-book, was a lot of work for you to put together! I know it was, and your only getting part of the profits, that may offset some of the cost of putting it all together.
    It's really quite a bargain, and helps our group out too! It was a generous thing for you to agree to do. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Quiltncrazy,

Ninnie
    Oh Ninnie, sorry to hear about your hubby's friend. My hubby is 59 also, and it made an impact on him, when Tim Russert (news commentator?), dropped dead at same age. We really never know, do we?
    Grandbaby had an allergic reaction to peanut butter. She has some other allergies, but this was the first, jump and run to er, kind of thing. It was very scary for sure! She is doing fine now.
    I can understand, your needing a vacation. When tragedy strikes, it has a way of opening up all kinds of sad things, that can weigh us down, or just make the everyday stuff, harder till we can work thru the emotional baggage, and get back on track. Hope your friends family is doing ok, or as well as they can. Know this must be hard on your hubby, which of course, makes it hard on you. hugs, ninnie. want me to send you some calgon?...right after I take a soak...I'm getting to a better place with the sewing/quilting, but the everyday stuff...physical maladies...ah, it all takes turns. We need to build a big place full of all kinds of rooms for quilting etc. but also has a spa, where we can get a massage, take a nap,...have a nice snack or meal...just sit and relax and chit chat...what a vacation! and instead of mints on our pillows, when we get back to our rooms...fabrics!!!! let's go...we'll practice the boston blocks with them! What fun, to do all this together. :D :D :D :D :D
    Glad your grandbaby is doing ok again. We deal with allergies in my DH and my DD. She had a bad allergic reaction to penecillan when she was 18. I sent her home from work and then got scared for her when a coworker told me about her episode when her throat closed from the swelling so I called Sara every half hour til she compained because I kept waking her up!

Love your idea for a vacation!!! Sounds like heaven! Especially using the fabrics to do Bostons! Haha :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    wow, Rhonda, seems your mom AND your daughter, need you very much! Which makes you have to be the strong one. It does sound like your daughter needs a break here and there. I know that you help her a lot. You must be very resilient! I admire you a lot. Your going to hear this a lot, but thanks AGAIN, for being such a giving person. :D

I thought I would edit that, and add: what I mean, besides a dozen other things, is, I know that with all that you do, with your hubby being disabled, keeping your grandchildren, several of whom, have special needs, helping your widowed mom, helping with your church, making all these items to help your family's budget...this E-book, was a lot of work for you to put together! I know it was, and your only getting part of the profits, that may offset some of the cost of putting it all together.
    It's really quite a bargain, and helps our group out too! It was a generous thing for you to agree to do. :D
    Thank you Quiltncrazy yeah sometimes I get overwhelmed especiall since I live in my mom's back yard and I am an only child so she only has me to lean on. She is 76 and very active in her many flower beds and seh is as obsessed with her yard work as I am in my quilting!! When we go shopping we feed her obsession with garden shops and mine with quilt shops!!!
    Yes i get pulled in a lot of directions but I live breathe and eat quilting. I spend most of my time between kids and animals quilting. I have a cockatiel and two dogs who think I have to be sitting at my desk or sewing machine for their life to be in order or they scream(bird) or bark(pointer) and bay(beagle) at me til I am back in my place!!

...Yes i get pulled in a lot of directions but I live breathe and eat quilting. I spend most of my time between kids and animals quilting. I have a cockatiel and two dogs who think I have to be sitting at my desk or sewing machine for their life to be in order or they scream(bird) or bark(pointer) and bay(beagle) at me til I am back in my place!!

That is so funny, about your animals squawking to keep you in line!!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    ...Yes i get pulled in a lot of directions but I live breathe and eat quilting. I spend most of my time between kids and animals quilting. I have a cockatiel and two dogs who think I have to be sitting at my desk or sewing machine for their life to be in order or they scream(bird) or bark(pointer) and bay(beagle) at me til I am back in my place!!

That is so funny, about your animals squawking to keep you in line!!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    When I go to cook I sometimes set the Cockatiel(Snickers) on a stepstool in the kitchen doorway so she can see me or she won't quit screaming and it gets on my nerves! She thinks I or my DH should always be in sight. She learned to say pretty girl and when I take her into the bedroom at night she yells pretty girl over and over again until I turn the lights out. She uses it as a beg to get me to whistle with her.
    I didn't want to cover her with a towel so I take her cage an all into the bedroom which we keep dark at all times for my DH
    She is so much fun! She was hand raised and the lady we got her from used to puther up to her face and talk to her so she is extremely tame. She is now 2 we got her when she was 10 weeks old. We have had a lot of birds over the last 34 years but she is the sweetest one. I had one one time that liked to sit on my book whenever I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda

When I go to cook I sometimes set the Cockatiel(Snickers) on a stepstool in the kitchen doorway so she can see me or she won't quit screaming and it gets on my nerves! She thinks I or my DH should always be in sight. She learned to say pretty girl and when I take her into the bedroom at night she yells pretty girl over and over again until I turn the lights out. She uses it as a beg to get me to whistle with her.
    I didn't want to cover her with a towel so I take her cage an all into the bedroom which we keep dark at all times for my DH
    She is so much fun! She was hand raised and the lady we got her from used to puther up to her face and talk to her so she is extremely tame. She is now 2 we got her when she was 10 weeks old. We have had a lot of birds over the last 34 years but she is the sweetest one. I had one one time that liked to sit on my book whenever I read.
    wow, sit on your book, and not try to fly away, that is so cool. I am getting a new kitty cat. I gotta go to my daughters several times this week, so she can get to know me. got to run.

thanks all of you, wow no wonder I love this place. It was just so soon after loosing his mother. Rhonda, you are a special person and you do a lot as well as being so talented. Qc you are the best and crazy is the right name for you, don't ever change!

Let me know when you open up that quilting spa, will work for free! :lol: :lol: Will regroup today and be my old self tomorrow, Crazy

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda

wow, sit on your book, and not try to fly away, that is so cool. I am getting a new kitty cat. I gotta go to my daughters several times this week, so she can get to know me. got to run.
    What are you gong to name her? (the kitty) Ours is called Alley Cat (named because that was where she was born in Davenport) bt we mostly just call her cat! Like MOVE CAT!! She does know one command OUT! means she has to get up and go in the bathroom where I pen her when I don't want her out in the livingroom. I have a daughter inlaw who is allergic to cats. Alley usually minds but if not I just move the couch or something close to her and she gives in and goes.

I never post on here although I read the newsletter whenever it comes out and enjoy all the pretty eye candy. But I just had to jump in on Rhonda's Boston blocks. I received the 1 1/2 template that Rhonda so generously sent those that wanted it and I couldn't wait to try her method. It was so much fun to make that itty bitty block and so easy! Thank you Rhonda. I bought and downloaded the e-book and can't wait to play with the different block arrangements. I've had company all weekend and I just got a quilting machine on a frame, so have had to much other distractions to play with the blocks.

thanks all of you, wow no wonder I love this place. It was just so soon after loosing his mother. Rhonda, you are a special person and you do a lot as well as being so talented. Qc you are the best and crazy is the right name for you, don't ever change!

Let me know when you open up that quilting spa, will work for free! :lol: :lol: Will regroup today and be my old self tomorrow, Crazy

Ninnie
    If it was open today, Ninnie, I'd send the car for ya, and give you top notch treatment. I'd even make sure you get the good looking masseuse!
    Thanks Ninnie, for calling me crazy, lol, I mean it. Coming from you, it has a whole new meaning. How else would you describe the topsy-turvy world I live in? I told hubby, there are a lot of ppl on this board with some habits like mine, and he said we were all, "not normal".
    I said, "depends on what you compare us to. With each other, we are the normal ones."
    He said, "well your different from all of us, out here."
    I said, "well, WHO is all of us? Since all-of-you, are not the same, I think you are in a minority."
    He gave up. He always does. You think there is a man alive, that can out talk me???? Bring him on, and then hide and watch :wink:
    (That is, if I find him interesting...if not, I just go talk to myself...me, myself and I...now there's a lively bunch!) :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allets
    I never post on here although I read the newsletter whenever it comes out and enjoy all the pretty eye candy. But I just had to jump in on Rhonda's Boston blocks. I received the 1 1/2 template that Rhonda so generously sent those that wanted it and I couldn't wait to try her method. It was so much fun to make that itty bitty block and so easy! Thank you Rhonda. I bought and downloaded the e-book and can't wait to play with the different block arrangements. I've had company all weekend and I just got a quilting machine on a frame, so have had to much other distractions to play with the blocks.
    You are very welcome Allets I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast