Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone done the Boston blocks? >

Has anyone done the Boston blocks?

Has anyone done the Boston blocks?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 AM

I cannot believe that you are from Hackett, Arkansas. I used to live in Fort Smith. Now I am just quilting away down here in South Mississippi.

Material MiMi
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 AM

wow, what a great method! why didn't I think of that??!!

Rhonda, I understand the method pretty well, do I really need a template, or could I cut the square unit any size, as long as my pieced unit was large enough???
Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by daffodil
wow, what a great method! why didn't I think of that??!!

Rhonda, I understand the method pretty well, do I really need a template, or could I cut the square unit any size, as long as my pieced unit was large enough???
You can use any size template you want. You could probably even use a ruler in place of a template but I think the template works the best for accuracy. I only show and provide the 1 1/2" template because I wrote two tutorials for miniature projects and the free template offer was so I could get a template out there for people who got the tutorials or wanted to do the hotpad pattern in my EBook. Anyone who wants one is more than welcome to one but it was a way to get people to try my methods.
I show in the book that you can use a 2 1/2" template to get a 12 1/2" quilt block. That is using my "Blocks" in a 6 across by 6 down layout.
I also show how you can learn to see the "Boston Block" opportunities in traditional quilt blocks like the Card Trick or the Boston Star.
So it is a springboard for your imagination to take you whereever and how you do it is up to you. You don't have to do it exactly like I do. It is just to give you ideas.

And I do hope to see pictures soon!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Hi Rhonda,
What size template do I need to use to make the darling potholders in your Boston Block book? The pieces look littler than the 1-1/2 or the 1-1/4. Thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fish92241
Hi Rhonda,
What size template do I need to use to make the darling potholders in your Boston Block book? The pieces look littler than the 1-1/2 or the 1-1/4. Thanks
Have you seen my bookmark tutorial? It shows how to make a Boston Block When you make a Boston Block the little pieces happen in the block.

You cut fabric swatches then you sew a medium to a light. Trim a straight edge and sew a dark swatch onto the first two then you cut a square out of the middle with a template. The size of the template can be any size depending on what you are making. I use a 1 1/2" to make most of my stuff.

You can use the designs in the book to make anything. Quilt blocks for a quilt or totebags or anything. Just change the size of the template!

If I can help just let me know!! Rhonda
Old 04-30-2009, 06:03 AM

I am a nurse, - I can pass all the pills at the SPA and take care of those rotary cutter nips...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Rhonda, this is the first time I have looked in depth to the Boston Blocks method. Ingenious! Now where did I leave that bag of scraps in my sewing room? :D
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Made my first one today Rhonda - it probably took 10 times longer than you take, and not all the points match, but then it is my first 'miniature' so I'll know what to look out for the next time. Thank you for a great book, and I'm going to be trying again.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Oops, photo didnt attach with my message, so trying again.

My Boston Blocks Quiltlet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36121[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-36121.jpe  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Oops, photo didnt attach with my message, so trying again.
Looks really good! I like your colors. It looks Amish. I think it came out very pretty! What are you going to use it for?