Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever done a quilt for someone who has passed away??? >

Has anyone ever done a quilt for someone who has passed away???

Has anyone ever done a quilt for someone who has passed away???

Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM

I've made several, cheap clothes are a pain, my favorite was fine quality wools from around the world, as well as other fabrics. Each one is different though.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Yes I made a quilt out of my father shirt for my mother and made potholders out of his jeans for my sisters and brothers.I also made 2 quilts out of my grandmother clothes and my 2 aunt got them.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Hi kimberly

I am working on the clothing of my mom who passed January of this year. I have been asked to make quilts for all the kids, grandkids, great grand kids and the 3 great great grand kids. that is a lot of people. I am happy to do it but not sure what I am doing as I am cutting up the fabric for the diffrent quilts, do not even know what size to make
them.

I will figure that all out when I cut up all the fabric. LOL Happy quilting
Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 PM

I've completed one lap quilt from my FIL's plaid flannel shirts and have fabric cut for several more. The one completed had appliqued burr oak leaves and acorns in the corners...I used leaves from the trees in their yard for the pattern. I bought some flannel in solids and small prints to have enough to work with for several quilts, but all the plaids are his shirts and bathrobe. I included a full shirt pockt with a bandana handkerchief on the back with the quilt label...he always carried a bandana.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by taiboo View Post
I was asked if I would be willing to make a quilt out of clothes of a loved one that passed away - I guess the person that passed has child/children (and the grandmother asked if it was possible do this - to give the kids as they get older.

I am calling the family today to discuss - I've never made one out of clothes before.

Thoughts???

Thanks
Kimberly
YES! My thought is YES! Do it. I have 3 stepdaughters (in their 30's)who lost their Mom, I used blouses they picked out & made each a 'throw' quilt. My best friend lost her husband, she has a throw quilt..I call them "Hugs from Heaven" The girls LOVE them , as does Katie. Here is just 2 of them. I took pics of their clothes & then the quilt. They remember their Mom wearing the clothes & that makes them happy.I also made a personal card up with a nice saying in each . The clothing of loved ones passed only stay in the closet so long...those quilts will stay forever. The quilts all have a 'star' theme...they explained to the grandchildren that their Grandma was now a 'star in heaven'
Attached Thumbnails img_2296.jpg   img_2321-2-.jpg   img_2113.jpg  

Last edited by Ellageo; 09-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Great job! Whenever I do this, I always end up with something that looks like old clothes...yours look like QUILTS! amazing!

I guess I should add that my little sunbonnets in my avatar are wearing my dad's blue jeans! I quilted one quilt for my cousin's niece. She'd cut big blocks, 10 inches or so, from her grandpas old shirts and jeans, added some ties, and pieced a quilt for her grandma. I was more than happy to quilt it for her. Her grandma loved that quilt, made by her grand-daughter from shirts that belonged to her husband of over 50 years. Very sweet.

Last edited by quiltingweb; 09-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Just made 7 different quilts this year from our Nanas Mumus believe it or not. There is no rule that says they have to be any specific pattern I took each one and let it tell me what to make from it. One for each big grandchild, 2 for babies and one for her daughter. They were all beautiful Good luck in your journey in making this type of quilt
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Jim

I have made many many memory quilts....it takes time to put the colors together that you want from the available clothing...lots of time cutting apart and prepping the fabric ...ironing starching and then to plan the pattern of the quilt with the amount of fabric you have gotten from the clothing...but its well worth it when you see the eyes of the person its made for..I made 43 memory quilts from lap size to king size for one woman alone...took me 14 months
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 PM

I've made several quilt's from clothes as well. First I washed everything and I mean everything in the washing machine and threw them in the dryer. The only fabric i didnt use was fabric that i could not iron.Took all the clothes apart and made crazy quilts, and string quilts which I placed as pinwheels. They turned out so well. These clothes all belonged to my dearly departed brother in law. His family loved the quilts. I even used the labels from some of his clothing. Wish I'd taken pictures. Go for it. The skies the limit and you'll get such positive results.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM

After a friend lost her husband, iI asked if I could make a quilt out of his flannel shirts. I received a box of the dreariest, mismatched, plaid flannel shirts you have ever seen. I didn't know what I was going to do with them and sorry I had suggested it. It was the most difficult quilt i have ever worked on.
I got a pretty red moda cotton. . . masculin not too bright and made a version of rail fence pattern I saw on line some place. I forget the name but the block has 5 strips. .middle 3 of the flannels and the top and bottom of the red. Alternate block placement, horizontal and vertical. Makes an attractive quilt and is easy. I used 2 1/2" strips for a block that finished to 10" so I didn't need that many.
I have received calls and notes from my friend thanking me over and over for this quilt. It means so much to her that I am happy stuck to it and finished. Only have one picture of it. Will try to post it.