Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Ever Used One of These? >

Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM

I have not read all the replies so hope I am not restating what everyone else has already said. I tried the Flynn system at a quilt show. It was smooth and seemed like after some practice I would be able to get good. My biggest problem with this system and all systems using a regular domestic machine is every time you wind the quilt your quilting space get smallers. So you start with 6 - 10 inches depending on your machine and at the end of the quilt you may have 2 - 4 or 5 inches you can quilt. For me, it was very frustrating to have such little space at the end. You will have to remember this when chosing patterns so the pattern isn't bigger than the area you will be quilting.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 AM

i was at a quilt show last weekend and saw another frame that you put on a stand like a long arm and you move the machine instead of the fabric the women who designed it was a long armer for years she is also coming out with a laser that you can do panograms with it sell for 599.00 i used it works great i have a sweet 16 if i didnt would have bought one
i did not get her card but a friend did i will find out who it was and you can pm me if you would like to know more it worked wonderful and affordable.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 AM

I have one. I had some trouble with it. I broke a lot of needles. But I may not have loaded the quilt correctly. Before the Flynn frame, I pin basted and always had some lumps/booboos on the back. With the Flynn frame, the back looked good, but I didn't like having to stop, roll the quilt and reset the side stretchers. Then I tried spray basting. I like that the best, so far. But I may try the Flynn frame again.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 AM

"i was at a quilt show last weekend and saw another frame that you put on a stand like a long arm and you move the machine instead of the fabric"
I have been looking for something like that for a long time. I have been reading about the Easy Quilter, which is no longer made. It got good reviews, but not available now. I would love to have the info on that system. My problem is that I have no room for a longarm and the Easy Quilter uses a much smaller space. Don't know about the system that you described. Would appreciate knowing more about it.

Pat
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM

I will try again! My last quilt was a king sized quilt. I tried the flynn frame--never again! I ended up putting my sewing machine on the dining room table and quilting it there. I kept my quilt on the table. By doing that, I found I really didn't struggle with the fabric like I have in the past. I have a plexiglass 'table' on my machine, and that extends the bed of my machine. But I think the real secret was the table. Oh, I also used a slider--a sheet of teflon I guess that helps the fabric glide over the surface of your machine table.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402206[/ATTACH]IThis is the quilt I mentioned above
Attached Thumbnails bullock-wedding-quilt2.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM
QM
Power Poster

I used an older version of the Flynn system when I had a Bernina short arm. for me, it was very awkward to use. I think it would be worth learning with a new one and my current Janome, but I simply don't have the spacve for it any more. google John Flynn. He has a great web site. My DH met him and was very impressed with engineering of the system.

Pepita, that is a lovely quilt.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 AM

I haven't tried it but have wondered about it myself. I just can't afford it at the moment even though it "may" make things easier.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 AM

I have tried this out at the Sew Expo and thought it was kind of ok, but awkward .. it would take some getting used to.. but it is limited .. you only get the basic parts.. the pvc tubes you would have to go to a home store to purchase..
I have kicked the idea of this around for a couple years now and still can't quite convince myself to purchase it..
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM

I use the method of cutting my batting in thirds and quilting it in thirds on my DSM. Wors for me. No fancy quilting though