Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Ever Used One of These? >

Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 AM

Yes, I have used one, back in the day when home quilters having long arms was unheard of. But it is has some similarities to a Longarm in that the quilt is mounted on the rollers and advanced like on a LA. But you move the frame, and not the machine. And your workspace is limited by the throat space of your machine. And you can use longer pieces of wood if you have a wider quilt, so you are not limited in that aspect, and if you quilt is too big, the throat space on your machine won't accommodate the roll. I found that it did make an nice smooth quilting design and was fun to use on smaller quilts. But I kind of got tired of having to roll it so often because of the small sewing area, so it's now living downstairs - still has a small wall hanging on it waiting to be finished.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Hi DonnaFreak, I'm from Kentucky too! I personally would not spend my money on it! My quilting teacher invested in it and we experimented with it for a while. Found it to be hard to handle, especially for one person when it comes time to move to the next part of the quilt. Limited quilting area. Space consuming, too! I haven't seen her even bring it out to use in a long time so she may have gotten rid of it, don't know for sure. But now that I've experienced it, I wouldn't waste my fabric money for it! Just my opinion though. Sorry John Flynn but it's just not for me.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have looked at them and agree that they are expensive if they don't work....Look at Utube and a man named Kenneth Lund in Utah makes them for about 200 dollars or less....He has a great demo on them. I have been tempted but am scared they are not what they are cracked up to be.....Good Luck. and if you ever get one, let us know how it is....
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 AM

Actually, I too, have one and never used it. Room is too small in this house. The one I have uses wooden dowels and you cut them whatever width you might want. Really wish someone else had it. PM me if interested.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 AM

Have thought about trying one of these, but decided against it after reading up on it online. Not the best quilting investment IMO.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM

I've done at least three 120 x 120 quilts on my DSM. No problem at all. I'd suggest getting two "2 ft x 4 ft" folding tables with adjustable legs. (about $30 ea at Sam's Club or WalMart. Amazon.com has them also) - place one to the left of your machine and one in front of your machine and you're good to go.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I have looked at them and agree that they are expensive if they don't work....Look at Utube and a man named Kenneth Lund in Utah makes them for about 200 dollars or less....He has a great demo on them. I have been tempted but am scared they are not what they are cracked up to be.....Good Luck. and if you ever get one, let us know how it is....
I have one of these. I tried it a few times and wasn't happy with it. Wish it was at somebody else's house!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

A friend of mine in NC bought one and uses it ALL the time.

Not sure what or how she did it but she did manage to quilt
a king size quilt on it for her bed.

I thought about getting one but I just don't have the room for
it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Pushing quilts thru my Singer has been the only way I have done it for years.I mostly do what I call "comforters" which have two layers of hi-loft batting and if I have one , an old mattress cover. I have a 50's or 60's Singer that is heavy. I wouldn't consider trying to pull a quilt thru my little portable. It is only plastic and would move all over the table. I set up three folding tables. One of them behind me to hold the weight of the quilt. My newest favorite aid is spray adhesive to hold the layers together. Otherwise I would baste the layers so they would not slide around. I start in the middle and work out to the outside. I too have cussed and cried for one more inch of sewing arm to force my new quilt. Leave the needle down when you readjust to sew. Don't worry it may not come out perfect . But there is no feeling like a finished quilt to share with the family.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM

First thing, you can quilt any size that you want, you just have to buy from the hardware store different lengths of metal tubing. I went to my local Runnings and bought the largest size they had and I will cut the tubing to fit my quilt. You put the Flynn multi-frame on a table and if you are quilting a queen or king sized quilt, you put 2 tables together. You measure the height of your sewing machine and then you buy PVC pipes to fit your sewing machine. When I bought my multi-frame, John Flynn has a DVD enclosed to set up the machine quilting frame. Also, Mr. Flynn has been on Fon's and Porter's Love of Quilting. Mr. Flynn demoed the frame and showed how to set up the frame and he showed how to quilt with it. I have neither the money nor the space for a longarm quilting machine, so I wanted a frame that I could assemble,put on a table,quilt and then disassemble. The nice thing about this frame is that you can use it for machine quilting or hand quilting. When you disassemble the frame, everything but the metal tubing and PVC pipe stores in a small box. The metal tubing and PVC can be stored in your garage.Mr. Flynn said that many quilters have different size metal pipe to quilt different sizes of quilts. There is a learning curve, but, as with anything there is always a learning curve. I have read some of the posts here about the Multi-frame that they hated it because they tried it once and didn't like it. Trying anything once and then quitting is kind of silly. Think of how long it takes to learn to write, to learn to ride a bike, to do pretty much anything. If you want to check out the DVD for the Multi-frame, go to Flynn's website and scroll down the page,and you can watch the DVD that I got when I bought the system. You can click on it and see if this is something you want before you buy.