Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever used a serger to piece a quilt top? >

Has anyone ever used a serger to piece a quilt top?

Has anyone ever used a serger to piece a quilt top?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM

I made a rather large size piece Rail Fence on the serger about eighteen years ago. It worked fine for that but never felt like using it for another. Sergers were pretty new then and there were patterns around to use on serger. Nothing too complicated. The seams were fine on that and would be on large size blocks.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM

I do have a pattern for a serger quilt somewhere... and when I get home I think I will have another look for it.

As far as thread goes, I have so much serger thread, that I would welcome anything to use it up!

My serger seems to have a problem with denim, so using it for quilting would be good, cause it's been sitting for a while now!

Theresa
Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 PM

I have and I have ran into an issue. Too much thread and broken needles. Somehow a serger creates too much material for it to finish nicely. I might have done it wrong but it just didn't feel or look right to me. I do however serge fabric that I sell so that it doesn't unravel or anything between here and the customer. I also don't make a fat quarter in the normal fat quarter size because I serge it. I'm just odd that way.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 AM

I serged my first quilt together---didn't know I wasn't supposed to---it is an Eleanor Burns log cabin---went together pretty quick ---when I took it the local quilt store to buy the backing the owner looked at the square I brought in to match---turned it over and said "ick you serged it" and dropped it like a hot potatoe---I said "yes and that's why I have a serger ---it's to use"---didn't go back till she sold the shop to someone else ---I say what ever turns your crank---have had the quilt on our bed now for about 10 years and it's great---if I do another log cabin type I would use it again---used the 4 thread stitch
Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 AM

I have watched some recent Eleneor Burns shows where she used a serger. If she does it, can't be all bad, right????
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM

I made a Christmas Throw with my serger. It was simple, with a center block that was embriodered. Kept the quilting simple. It turned out great ! Would only do on simple blocks, but went really fast.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM

I love using the serger for putting quilts together. Gives you such a nice clean finished back. Never had a problem with too much bulk or anything like that. It took Grand Prize at the fair the year I entered it.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:53 AM

I have made this one and it goes together quickly and easily. I didn't notice any extra bulk. Fons and Porter's show today on PBS did a small quilt entirely on serger. Very interesting.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I would use a serger for a simple quilt, say one with just "big" squares, that would be tied, and likely to be washed a lot. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the seams fraying away. Anything that would actually be quilted, not tied, would not ravel as readily.
I agree with you. I use a serger and several ladies from Project linus use them also for larger blocks and strips quilts. I love the nice finish it does. No bulk on larger pattern quilts. It would be hard to use on a bargello etc.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Here's a picture of one finished this week. Back and front, no bulk.

Serger used on large block pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79413[/ATTACH]

Front side of serged fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79414[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79408.jpe   attachment-79409.jpe